Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2014, 05:32 PM
Postmaster

StanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to behold
I don't know if this is a thread I started or not but I have dug pretty deeply in to the bio situation. I got started on it about four years ago in Michigan. i was having the oil changed and got to talking to the service manager and bio and the 6.4L came up. I was deleted and told him so. His response was that according to his training the DPF was a consideration but various seals and gaskets were a bigger problem. And that B20 would be deadly. Since then I have had a few exchanges with the federal bio-diesel board and Ford. Since there are a number of states in the corn belt where the dealers are required by state law to sell only Bio and in some cases only B20, it concerned me. I have never gotten an answer from anyone about what we were expected to do when in those states. Neither anyone I could find in Ford or in the bio board wanted to even attempt an answer. My personal solution was to add a Titan 60 gallon replacement tank and a 100 gallon in bed tank. I figured 1500 miles would get me away from most of it. I think most of the emails are on on this forum under my signature. There is also an EPA report from a couple years back on the impact of bio-diesel on DPF equiped vehicles. Interesting reading all. (I deleted right after I got caught using bio foar several tanks and had a 6% oil dilution) The bottom line is that the polititions and Ford and the fuel industry have just sort of written the B5 vehicles off as collatral damage in their war on energy. I solved my bio problem, I now have a 6.7L. And let me add before I get a lot of hate mail that there are plenty of 6.4L owners who use a lot of bio and report no problems. So, in the end you just need to believe what you believe and act accordingly cause there is no help out there for the B5 vehicles.

GONE NOW:2008 DRW CC deleted and tuned. Bullet proofed motor and built transmission, totaled by a drunk old woman. I miss it. 2001 F250 4X4, loaded with stuff and a great truck but my big 5er was just too much to handle for her.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:34 PM
Postmaster

slowmans has a good reputation on FTE.slowmans has a good reputation on FTE.
I am pretty sure Bio emits less carbon emissions than regular diesel, as well as less particulate matter.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:23 PM
Post Fiend

parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmans View Post
I am pretty sure Bio emits less carbon emissions than regular diesel, as well as less particulate matter.
From what I've heard, it makes less particulate matter while burning, but it takes more bio than dino diesel to make heat, and some of the issues with bio are the temps required to regenerate the DPF, so that could be a reason too why DPF's don't like it; could cause more frequent and longer regenerations.

Ideally, you'd drive on 100% bio, and regen with 100% dino. (obviously not technically possible.)

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...0-project.html
Old 03-29-2014, 10:27 PM
Post Fiend

parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyZ View Post
His response was that according to his training the DPF was a consideration but various seals and gaskets were a bigger problem. And that B20 would be deadly.
I could be wrong, probably am, but I think that can't be right.
They knew well before the 6.4's design that bio fuel was on the table, and many engines before the 6.4 have the right hardware to deal with bio, so I don't think that would make any sense.

Then again that pesky DPF they put in there !!!

If the 6.4 would have been built with the same emissions regulations that the 7.3 had, it would have been a way better truck.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:35 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinford View Post
Parkland whats the best fuel to buy in BC then?
I buy most of my fuel at Husky but if I read right they have more bio content?
Hey, I actually don't live in BC, just born there, and visit.

Going there in a couple days though, to hopefully make a deal on an acreage at kootenay lake, if you know where that is.

I don't look when I fill up, whenever I need fuel, I go to the most convenient gas station, and fill up with whatever they happen to be selling that comes out of the diesel handle.
This truck isn't running my life, and it isn't getting treated like a princess, its a truck, and if it dies from some biodiesel or condensation, then so it will be.

I used to change oil and fuel filters every 5000km, now just the oil and filter. In fact, the last fuel filters are about 70,000 km old, and I have a set here we were going to change them, but they still look pretty much brand new, so I'll check them in another couple oil changes.
I've never seen any water in the fuel, bowl looks clean, never seen a water in fuel light, never come across a reason to worry.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:07 AM
Senior User

Mystic_Cobra is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkland View Post
In fact, the last fuel filters are about 70,000 km old
I sense the apocalypse coming...
Old 03-31-2014, 12:10 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic_Cobra View Post
I sense the apocalypse coming...
Lol I know what it sounds like, but for some reason I've never seemed to get any dirty fuel.

Same think with my old 7.3, I can't remember how many miles on it's fuel filter (maybe 90,000km?), and when I pulled it, it had just a touch of discoloration on the corners of the pleated filter media, not enough to even think of tossing it; it looked good.

The 7.3, out of the years I had it, once I got a touch of water out of the drain, but just that one time, and thats the only time I've seen any water come out of diesel fuel on these 2 trucks.

I don't know why my fuel seems so clean compared to the way some guys talk, maybe cause my 6.4 has a plastic tank?
Maybe cause it's so bloody cold up in canada? lol

Old 03-31-2014, 03:39 PM
Postmaster

StanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to behold
The older diesels are a lot more tolerant of low grade fuel than are the 6.4L and 6.7L. I'd be careful about the fuel filters going too long.

As to the bio, thereis an EPA paper on the subject of " the impact of bio diesel on DPF equipped engines". I'm not sure when it was published but I posted it on here about three years ago. The short version is that DPF equipped diesels will all have a level of fuel dilution. Those using bio will have more than those using regular diesel because the regular dino diesel will to some extent "boil" out of the hot motor oil. The bio will not. The primary "finding" was that the test engine had fuel dilution but that it did not cause significant harm even at 200,000 miles "which is twice the life expetancy of a diesel engine".

GONE NOW:2008 DRW CC deleted and tuned. Bullet proofed motor and built transmission, totaled by a drunk old woman. I miss it. 2001 F250 4X4, loaded with stuff and a great truck but my big 5er was just too much to handle for her.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:13 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
The primary "finding" was that the test engine had fuel dilution but that it did not cause significant harm even at 200,000 miles "which is twice the life expetancy of a diesel engine".
It's a conspiracy.

Ethanol allowed them to sell gas that is complete junk, and reduces fuel economy. Biodiesel is the same thing, inferior fuel.
The green bandwagon produces sub standard fuel, that reduces lifespan of vehicles, so corporations win.
Using farmland to grow fuel crops raises food prices. Corporations win.
I don't know of any farmers who have become rich from growing fuel crops, but there sure seems to be cash flowing on the corporate level.

I don't know if people realize it or not, but there is no oil shortage at all, ever. You can drive by an oilfield hotspot, and you will notice that they turn pumpjacks on and off, depending on market price. When the price gets too low, they just cut back supply, and make sure it gets back up high.
Same thing with natural gas, there is so much natural gas, AKA cheap cheap energy, but nobody is pushing it or drilling more, because the price is low. You'd figure since natural gas is so abundant right now, that propane would be cheap, but it really isn't. If natural gas were any cheaper, it would be free. No such luck for any customers, though.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:01 PM
Postmaster

I don't know if farmers are getting rich or not but we were in Iowa about 4 years ago and everybody had corn growing right up to the porch. I was suprised it wasn't growing in the medians on the interstate. I believe that's what they call a "money" crop.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:16 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
This summer when I drive across Ill I will be ok with the bio now. I wonder now how much the 6.7 will regen with bio.

guess we will see.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 03-31-2014, 08:17 PM
Postmaster

slowmans has a good reputation on FTE.slowmans has a good reputation on FTE.
My truck never regens with Bio......
Old 03-31-2014, 08:36 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Quote:
this 6.7 very rarely sees a regen as well. I have not had one since Jan. I know there is a backstop like the 6.4 but I am well past that.

The exhaust retains the heat so much better. I am counting on that and the heavy towing to make for fewer if any regens.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 03-31-2014, 08:43 PM
Posting Guru

bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
LOL, me neither, come to think of it, it doesn't with straight pure diesel either, if there is such a thing.

2008 F250 KR 6.4, 2WD
1999 E250 5.4 High Top
1989 Thunderbird SC
1965 Olds 442 X2
Old 04-07-2014, 12:18 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
I don't know if farmers are getting rich or not but we were in Iowa about 4 years ago and everybody had corn growing right up to the porch. I was suprised it wasn't growing in the medians on the interstate. I believe that's what they call a "money" crop.

Good money in it, but wheres the money coming from? Gov't endorsements AKA out of your pocket.
Ethanol wouldn't be profitable as it is, if the tax payers wouldn't cover the bill.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:18 AM