6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 Bio Diesel ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by cglenn
I could be wrong but I thought that someone did a somewhat scientific analysis of minor biodiesel blends which showed significantly better lubricity than just straight ULSD. If I recall the ratio was at B2. Therefore if this study is correct wouldn't it be significantly better on our engines, durability wise, to run a very low blend of bio ?
This is true but only means that it will better lubricate the fuel system and nothing more. The study Stan is talking about refers to Biodiesel's ability to worsen the fuel dilution problem in the engine oil. It may be great for your HPFP but if it destroys the rest of your engine what's the point?

Old 08-02-2011, 10:37 AM
pog23
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the point is to delete the dpf hence stops diesel mixing with oil

Old 03-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I thought I would bump this thread with my last weeks experience and its time to rehash alittle. I just traveled about 700 miles, pulling my 5er and we stayed within the borders of Texas, which is not hard to do. I stopped at 4 places for fuel. A Chevron, an Exxon, a Murphys, and a Pilot. All had B5 on the pumps which is the first time I had witnessed this on this trip. I have made this same trip on 5 occassions in the last 18 months and used the same stations each time, B5 was never on the pumps before. My fuel economy was down, there seemed to be more clatter from the engine and I know more regens (8 during this trip) than during the last trip (which as 4). The last time I ran this trip was in Early December and I averaged 10.4 mpg (hand calc), this time it was only 9.1 (hand calc). I automatically blame the B5, as this may not really be the case, but all things were nearly the same. I had just changed oil and fuel filters before I left so I know the maintanaince was up to date. Dissappointing to say the least if this is the case. Will be making another trip here in 6 weeks and if the results are the same, I will be very dissappointed in the fuel as that will be the common denominator....

Old 03-17-2012, 09:54 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Your experience is exactly what I have encountered in the past. Bio contains less energy and therefore more soot is produced.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:34 AM
blackeyed1
Senior User
When I lived in Illinois at one point, you could buy both bio and un-bio diesel. Then virtually all stations went to bio. My truck had poor mileage and performance. Moved here to Michigan a year ago and run regular diesel. My truck runs ALOT better.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:43 AM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I buy B-100 and when I get fuel I add the correct amount to bring my fuel to
B-5, I have noticed no difference. I think its all in your heads.....in fact I think the engine runs quieter, and smoother.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:00 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pog23
it really is a personal choice to run cetane stuff, i get it cheap so i choose to run it. well we own a husky so i just fill up there and husky only offers diesel max. i actually go through all over our diesel invoices from bulk delivery and do the math to make sure its b5. its within +.5% of 5%. how it works our last invoice was for 2980L of B5 delivered, when i look at our detailed invoice is says 2830L ULSD and 150L B100 Diesel. 150/2830= 5.3% bioD. i know this wont apply for every other diesel store but i do check ours out.

So they just pump in 150 liters in to the regular diesel? what mixes it?

Old 03-17-2012, 11:03 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slowmans
B-5, I have noticed no difference. I think its all in your heads.....in fact I think the engine runs quieter, and smoother.
X2

B5 diesel has such a small amount less of energy.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:29 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Gearitis
Well I thought I would bump this thread with my last weeks experience and its time to rehash alittle. I just traveled about 700 miles, pulling my 5er and we stayed within the borders of Texas, which is not hard to do. I stopped at 4 places for fuel. A Chevron, an Exxon, a Murphys, and a Pilot. All had B5 on the pumps which is the first time I had witnessed this on this trip. I have made this same trip on 5 occassions in the last 18 months and used the same stations each time, B5 was never on the pumps before. My fuel economy was down, there seemed to be more clatter from the engine and I know more regens (8 during this trip) than during the last trip (which as 4). The last time I ran this trip was in Early December and I averaged 10.4 mpg (hand calc), this time it was only 9.1 (hand calc). I automatically blame the B5, as this may not really be the case, but all things were nearly the same. I had just changed oil and fuel filters before I left so I know the maintanaince was up to date. Dissappointing to say the least if this is the case. Will be making another trip here in 6 weeks and if the results are the same, I will be very dissappointed in the fuel as that will be the common denominator....
If you've had any oil analysis done before, have one done on the next oil change and see what you get. I had 6% dilution after a trip where I kept having to use bio. to me the oil dilution is much worse than a mile per gallon less. While diesel fuel is expensive, diesel engines are real expensive.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:40 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by slowmans
Could be, they tell me there is a lot of room in there due to absense of brain matter. However, I can read, and the EPA test results were quite clear. Bio does dilute your oil more than ULSD. As for performance I have no opinion or facts. Diluted oil can only harm the internal combustion engine. How much harm is the question and I don't think anyone has done the research to say what it will do to these big V8s. Time will tell. As they say at the fair, you pays your money and takes your chanch. As for me, I avoided it as best I could when I was running stock. Now, if I was a soy bean farmer I would probably love the stuff. That is what they make it out of, right?

Old 03-17-2012, 04:55 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Could be, they tell me there is a lot of room in there due to absense of brain matter. However, I can read, and the EPA test results were quite clear. Bio does dilute your oil more than ULSD. As for performance I have no opinion or facts. Diluted oil can only harm the internal combustion engine. How much harm is the question and I don't think anyone has done the research to say what it will do to these big V8s. Time will tell. As they say at the fair, you pays your money and takes your chanch. As for me, I avoided it as best I could when I was running stock. Now, if I was a soy bean farmer I would probably love the stuff. That is what they make it out of, right?
well my last oil analysis stated less than half a percent fuel in my oil.....

Old 03-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
If you've had any oil analysis done before, have one done on the next oil change and see what you get. I had 6% dilution after a trip where I kept having to use bio. to me the oil dilution is much worse than a mile per gallon less. While diesel fuel is expensive, diesel engines are real expensive.
I took a sample and sent it off to Blackston when I changed the oil last week before the trip. I will be doing the same on the next change so we will see what is up.
I always measure how much I get out of the crankcase and I had exactly 15 quarts out with about 500 miles pulling in the 5k of that oil run.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:14 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Gearitis
I took a sample and sent it off to Blackston when I changed the oil last week before the trip. I will be doing the same on the next change so we will see what is up.
I always measure how much I get out of the crankcase and I had exactly 15 quarts out with about 500 miles pulling in the 5k of that oil run.
Let us know what you get. I had 6%. That was just too high. I only had it that one trip. When I back tracked my fuel stops almost every one had been bio. The rest of the time my dilution was 2 to 3%. But after that 6% I avoided bio. just didn't go to the states that make it mandatory, I can't account for the guys who say they get no dilution. I guess it's just the difference in trucks. I don't get any now that I'm deleted. My first 5000 mile oil report after I got rid of the DPF was perfect. The only one I ever had like that.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:22 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

I did a write up awhile back ill have to find it, but i ran bio concentrations as high as 75/25 bio/diesel in my truck. I made all my own fuel at the time and processed it with a bio processor i made myself. I ran close to a 1000 gallons thru my truck, and about 2000 gallons thru my fleet equipment with no ill affects. To top it off i was running the spartan 210 tune on top of it. I would still be doing it now but i don't have the time to collect the WVO and at the time business was really slow so i had plenty of time on my hands and i saved allot of money when i was doing it. I could process the fuel for between 1.40 to 1.60 a gallon (considering the WVO was free at the time i was collecting it) vs the 4.00 plus cost of fuel at the time. The key to bio-diesel is quality of the fuel, just like quality diesel the Bio has to be not good but great if you don't expect to have problems.

Although i have done this my truck is emission free, I don't think i would recommend doing this on a stock truck or any newer DPF style truck or equipment due to the fuel dilution issues as mentioned above by others. Bio-diesel and oil due not mix.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:30 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Well it was awhile ago and i was hoping too due it for a year but my supply ran out anyways heres the info i had on it.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ml#post9725810

Quick Reply: 6.4 Bio Diesel ???