1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Worth buying or not? 86 F-250 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 04:30 AM
Babybudistmonk
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Worth buying or not? 86 F-250 Diesel

Hey guys,

I would like some advise quick! I have the opportunity to buy a 1986 F-250 4x4 long box, extended cab. It looks like a fairly decent truck, but it has its issues. He would like to know by tomorrow. If I don't want it, hes got a couple other people interested.

The Bad...

Transmission needs work. It tries to go forwards in ever gear. Even reverse and park until it locks in. It doesn't go anywhere in reverse, but you can tell it tries to lurch forward.

Drivers side floor board/body mount has rotted away. The body has sagged a bit on the drivers side, but it looks as if it could be straightened out and look 1/2 way decent again.

Leaks fuel out of one of the gas lines. Not too worried about that, simple fix.

Found some wetness around what I assume to be fuel injectors.

Brakes go almost to the floor before doing any braking.

The engine runs, however it is pretty hard to start and sounds as if it may have an exhaust manifold leak.

The Good...

Its only $1000, or the guy will take a beater mustang I have for it.

Visible areas of the body look good.

It does run.

It has what I think is a 4" suspension lift, and a 3" body lift.

I would be buying it from a friend. He usually has access to parts, tires, people who know about these trucks etc, and may be willing to help me out at least tracking down cheap replacement parts, and possibly help work on it.

I have always wanted one of these, but I'm almost afraid this will be more of a project than I want. I don't necessarily need it to be show quality, but I want it to look fairly decent, be reliable, play around off road, and be reliable enough to handle a Michigan winter. I have worked on my fair share of cars so the mechanical issues aren't over my head, I just don't want to be working on this thing forever or sink a bunch of cash into it.

What do you guys think? Would you buy it? Sorry for the long post, wanted to give you guys as much info as I could.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:35 AM
dwc2134
Senior User
I'd keep looking if I were you, a thousand seems like a lot for all of those issues.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:24 AM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Based on everything you've said, I would move on, as much as it pains me to say it. I have always wanted that truck as well. A decent amount of those are easily enough fixed, but others are going to start really digging into your fun fund. A diesel isn't the best option for wheeling because of weight, and starting it in the Michigan winter is going to be a bear when it's running good, let alone as it sits. Still your call either way though.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Babybudistmonk
Freshman User
Yeah I think you guys are right. It would be a nice truck to have, but it more than likely take too much time/money to make it a good solid running truck again. Guess I'll just have to start keeping an eye on craigs list and wait for something in a little better shape to pop up.

Thanks for your input!

Old 07-21-2011, 04:38 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Good luck man. I can only imagine how tough it is to pass on this. I think you're making the right choice.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:54 AM
Babybudistmonk
Freshman User
It is really tough to turn this down. Sounds like the guy is thinking about scrapping it now. The last price he gave someone was $800. I have some pics being uploaded to my photobucket account now. I'll post a link if anyone wants to see it.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The trans issue is likely an internal problem. May be an easy fix by just dropping the pan, or it could turn into dropping the entire trans for a complete rebuild.
The wetness around the injectors is pretty common, and is likely causing the hard starting issues. There are small return lines that can leak, when this happens, air can enter the fuel system and it can be a bugger to get it started.
The brakes could be a minor issue that's simple to fix, or they could be completely worn out, needing major money invested.
The diesel engine and auto trans used in these are both rather stout and reliable units, needing only occasional attention to give 300K or more useable life service. Trans isn't too expensive to get rebuilt ($600-1000), but the engine can be ($4000+).

Old 07-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
The mechanical stuff could be easily fixed by swapping in parts from other trucks, but how solid is the body? The front body mount would worry me, unless you have a plan on how to fix it. Sounds like if you wait a little longer, you could get it for $600.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Babybudistmonk
Freshman User
That's kinda what I was thinking. If he's just going to scrap it, I may offer him 600 today and see what he says.

The floor pan on the drivers side is about gone. I was thinking I just may get away with some fairly thin plate steel, find a couple solid areas yet to weld to on the body, and be able to make a new body mount from there. It would be some work, but if I can get it for 5-600, might be worth it now.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Babybudistmonk
Freshman User
And here is a link to the Photobucket album I have for this truck. These are pictures of my friends pictures from my phone. They are not the best pics, but they will give you an idea of what it looks like now.

1986 Ford F250 Pics

Old 07-22-2011, 02:10 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
I'll be honest, that truck looks like it is in pretty decent shape, but looks can be deceiving. Looking at it doesn't help me help you AT ALL!! At least not if you are looking for someone to talk you out of it, haha. The truck just looks mean, and I like it. FOCUS, FOCUS....the issues still seem tough to deal with, but if he is willing to give it up fairly cheap, I would give a go at it.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Pass on it. It will be a money pit. The flairs are just covering ROT

Old 07-22-2011, 07:20 PM
hog creek work truck
Senior User
if you can afford it and can get it for 6-7 hundred i think its easily worth that.worth that easy just in parts i think

Old 07-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Babybudistmonk
Freshman User
I think i'll try to see of he will let it go for 600. He has a guy coming to look at it tomorrow so we'll see how that turns out. As long as no hard parts are broke in the transmission, rebuild kits are around 200. I have enough scrap steel to probably make the body straight(ish) again. Go through the injectors and a few other things. I might be able to have it up and running for 1000-1500 including the cost of the truck

Old 07-22-2011, 07:48 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
If you can make that happen, it will be VERY worth it. I'd say go that far into it, and if it doesn't turn out well, you could probably find somebody else interested enough to at least get some of your money back.

Quick Reply: Worth buying or not? 86 F-250 Diesel