Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Problem Removing Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:40 PM
LSO1123
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Problem Removing Fuel Filter

Nothing is ever simple for me! I'm trying to change my fuel filter on my 7.3 IDI, following the intructions I read in another thread in this forum. I can't get the old one to twist loose! I've broke two freakin strap wrenches trying! I've gotten it to move some but not much. I am standing over top of it turning it to the left, like toward the passenger fender. Am I twisting the wrong damn way or something?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:28 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to tell ya this man, but ya you are turning the wrong way. When you are looking down onto the filter you have to turn it towards the driver's side fender. (clockwise)

Old 07-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
x2 on what 94idi said! You are basically looking upside down on it so you wanna go the opposite way

Old 07-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Scratcher
More Turbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lefty loosy righty tighty

Old 07-20-2011, 09:04 PM
LSO1123
Posting Guru
Well I thought of that about the time I hit submit on the post! It never occured to me that the filter was mounted up side down so to speak! Man do I feel like a douche bag!!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:51 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by LSO1123
Well I thought of that about the time I hit submit on the post! It never occured to me that the filter was mounted up side down so to speak! Man do I feel like a douche bag!!
don't.we've probably all done it.i know i have lol.
your one up one me actually braking a wrench though,but that's ok.my turns coming im sure.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:46 PM
Country_boy_2007
Posting Guru
oh yea we have all done dumb things...weather we will admit it or not is a whole nother thing..lol

Old 07-21-2011, 12:24 AM
LSO1123
Posting Guru
Man this little incident doesn't even come close to comparing to the issue I had when I changed the oil in my '96 Chevy 6.5TD for the first time. Don't know how familiar you guys are with the 6.5 turbo but GM apparently thought it would be funny to put the oil filter right between the front drive shaft and the frame on the left side of the block. Instead of it just screwing directly onto the block like does for 2wd 6.5 trucks, they put a 90 degree adapter on there so the filter screws onto the adapter with the bottom of the filter facing the front of the truck. It is nearly freakin impossible to get to! To make matters worse, whoever had put the last filter on must have torqued it down to about 1000 ft/lbs cause that sucker wouldn't budge, even turning it the right way! LOL. There isn't any room to get a good bite on it with any type of filter wrench and with it being on there so tight I just couldn't get it loose with a wrench. I even tried the ole driving a screw driver through the filter trick but it just tore through the filter when I tried to turn it. I ended up having to take the adapter off of the block with the filter still attached. I cut the filter off just below the top ring where it screws into the adapter. Then I put that ring in a vise and turned the adapter loose from the filter! Well then I proceeded to drop the adapter on the concrete floor and damaged it enough that it leaked when I put it back on the truck. So by the time I bought 2 gallons of Rotella, an oil filter, 3 or 4 different types of filter wrenches, a 26MM socket to take the adapter off and a new $140 dollar adapter that I had to order from GM cause nobody stocks it, this oil change ended up costing me about $300 bucks! So you see, me and filters don't get along!

Old 07-21-2011, 12:29 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
One thing about it after breaking two strap wrenches, you should have it plenty tight. lol
By the way I have used a cheater on a breaker bar with strap wrenches before and never even seen one break. lol

Old 07-21-2011, 05:47 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
and this is the primary reason why you do not change the fuel filter until it either rots out and starts to leak, or gets so dirty the truck don't run any more.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:58 AM
Scratcher
More Turbo

Originally Posted by LSO1123
When I first got my truck I didn't realize the rear wheel studs were right hand threaded. Nearly broke my back trying to loosen those things

Old 07-21-2011, 08:28 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Originally Posted by Scratcher
When I first got my truck I didn't realize the rear wheel studs were right hand threaded. Nearly broke my back trying to loosen those things
i got an 66 dodge powerwagon back in 76 for $50 because the idiot owner did not pay attention to the fact that the wheel lugs were right thread on the right side of the truck, and left thread on the left side of the truck, and snapped 6 of the 8 studs off the passenger side wheels and did not want to pay to have the studs replaced.
at least he was smart enough to leave 2 untouched on opposit sides of the hub.
i took the wheels and hubs off, replaced all the studs and ran that truck for 400,000 miles before the cab rotted out and fell off it.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:08 AM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A giant channellocks works well for filters.

I might as well tell mine.....

I was working on my moms caravan doing a oil change(in a rush). Took the oil out, filter off, put the new one on and filled her up, the whole 9. I started the van only to hear a blow and oil all over the ground, I searched for that leak for a while until I finally came to the filter. I said how could that be leaking, I cranked that down. So it took off the filter and there were 2 gaskets on it, go figure.. Stupid didn't check to see if the old gasket had come off with the old filter, it hadn't. I'll never do that again.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:02 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
at least you put the filter on..

i did an oil change on the 88 years ago with the ex nagging me (she was not the ex yet)
after pouring 4 gallons of oil in it i went to start it only to see an oil slick growing under the truck with her standing behind the truck laughing.
i was so ticked off at her, i forgot to put the drain plug back in the pan before filling it.

she was very lucky i was not carrying the 45 that day.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Country_boy_2007
Posting Guru
i was changeing the cannister type hydro filters on our tractor, it was 5 oclock on a friday and i was wanting to get out to my buddys place so i got in a rush...and forgot to put the oring back in the filter base when i put the new filter in. put oil in it and fired it up and took a hydro oil shower. to add insult to injury i had to go and buy another 5 gal bucket of hydro oil cause i used the last of what we had

Quick Reply: Problem Removing Fuel Filter