Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Elder User

LSO1123 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well I got the filter off and emptied it in a bowl. Look at the crap that was in the filter! I'm suprised the truck was even running! I just wonder if it has ever been changed before!
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Elder User

Marianna2003 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Actually, that looks pretty goode. No water. The large stuff you can see is not what plugs your filter, it's the very fine particles that plug it up.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:58 PM

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
agreed. that is clean. i have pulled filters off the mack trucks that pour out pure black after 5,000 miles.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Elder User

Well that's good news! That was the first time I've ever changed a fuel filter so I didn't expect to see stuff like that in there. Now I have another concern. I got the new filter on and got the truck started pretty easily. Checked the filter for leaks and there are none. However, it looks like there is fuel leaking from around the top of the front injectors on each side of the engine but just those two! I never noticed it doing that before I changed the filter. I guess it's fuel, don't know what else it could be. What could be causing this?
Old 07-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Posting Guru

Coalroller is starting off with a positive reputation.
whats the info on your truck? year milage that kinda stuff? If they are all original it might be the o-rings in the return caps that have gone bad and are leaking, or it is pushin out from where the return line are clamped on
Old 07-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Elder User

Marianna2003 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looks like you disturbed the return lines. Like Coalroller said, there are two ORings under the plastic caps that get hard and need to be replaced. The size is 111. Just make sure they are viton to resist the new fuels.

#9464K24 from:
McMaster-Carr

Old 07-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Elder User

It's a 1993 IDI non turbo. It only has around 90K miles, not sure exactly cause the original odometer stopped working. It sat without even being started from 2007-2009 and has been driven very, very little since then. I seriously doubt that the injectors have ever been replaced. It looks like it's coming out down where the o-rings would be, I don't think it's pushing out from the return lines.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Elder User

Now that I think about it, you're probably right. While I was fighting with the filter I probably did disturb the return line that's closest to the filter and I took the breather off of the intake and laid it on the other side which probably disturbed that line.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Diesel Junkie

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSO1123 View Post
It's a 1993 IDI non turbo. It only has around 90K miles, not sure exactly cause the original odometer stopped working. It sat without even being started from 2007-2009 and has been driven very, very little since then. I seriously doubt that the injectors have ever been replaced. It looks like it's coming out down where the o-rings would be, I don't think it's pushing out from the return lines.
Amazon.com: Delphi 7135-276 Injector Installation Kit: Automotive

thats a dang good kit right there.
good grade fuel line with it.
i went through two of those cheaper kits from Pensacola diesel,and always had leaks.non so far with this one.
sure is nice not to be chasing fuel leaks all the time anymore.
(i did use Viton O-rings instead again though.)
♠ Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 5:13, Dually, 16' Dump ♠
♠ Chip Truck: '93 F250HD XLT 4x4 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 3.55, Dually, 9' Dump, & Plow ♠

Old 07-21-2011, 06:58 PM

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
pensacola diesel $19
Pensacola Fuel Injection | Worlds #1 Diesel Rebuilder - FORD 6.9L - 7.3L :: INSTALLATION KITS :: 89-94 7.3L Injector Installation Kit
Old 07-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Posting Guru

Coalroller is starting off with a positive reputation.
also you could pm typefour and see how much there are through him ... sounds like yes you probably disturbed your lines and the o-rings were probably dry rotted especially since it wasnt even started for 2 years
Old 07-21-2011, 07:28 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)

Tags
2006, 69, 73, change, diesel, excursion, f150, filter, flex, ford, fuel, idi, problems, remove, replace