Sponsored by: DP Tuner

SCT tuner worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:13 AM
akorcovelos
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SCT tuner worth it?

I have an opportunity to buy an Sct tuner for $250 and I was WI dering if these are worth it? My truck mods are in my sig. The guy I'd buy it from is running it on a stock 6.0 and its a beast. It will destroy the 38's on the truck no problem. He has a custom tune, but he said you can only use the pre-loaded tuning options for the 7.3.

I currently have a Bullydog 5POS tuner installed, and he claims the sct is stackable, so I could use the sct to flash a new stock tune and still use the bullydog, is this true?

My truck has 210k on the original trans, is the sct going to push too much tq through it and cause damage?

He is claiming 18mpg running 38's, and he said the guy he bought the tuner from was getting 20-22mpg on a stock 7.3, is that possible? I'm getting 17mpg 95% highway on stock tune.

Sorry for all the Q's, but I really want to get this thing if its worth it and won't destroy my truck.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:52 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by akorcovelos
I have an opportunity to buy an Sct tuner for $250 and I was WI dering if these are worth it? It depends. I would ask the seller to allow you to try it. Personally, I like canned tunes as there is nothing wrong with them on a stock-ish truck.

I currently have a Bullydog 5POS tuner installed, and he claims the sct is stackable, so I could use the sct to flash a new stock tune and still use the bullydog, is this true? No. You will have to remove the chip before programming or you can burn up the PCM and the chip. There is no "stacking" those two. Regardless of the programming on the PCM put there by a flash programmer like the SCT, the chip will override it as soon as it's attached to the PCM.

My truck has 210k on the original trans, is the sct going to push too much tq through it and cause damage? These transmissions fail under stock power all the time. It will last until it breaks. When (notice I didn't say "if") it fails, it's just a good excuse for a rebuild.

He is claiming 18mpg running 38's, and he said the guy he bought the tuner from was getting 20-22mpg on a stock 7.3, is that possible? I'm getting 17mpg 95% highway on stock tune. 18 on 38's? Not likely unless he is one of those people that believes his fuel economy readout in the overhead console or driver information center in the instrument cluster. 20-22 on a stock 7.3L is VERY unlikely. Not impossible, but unlikely.

Sorry for all the Q's, but I really want to get this thing if its worth it and won't destroy my truck.
See answers in red.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was tempted to get the same as u butt for a bit more $ you may be happier,I believe u have to stop and download the different tunes with that tuner. I just got a DP tuner and went cheap for now, and got,no start, stock, 80 economy, and 80 tow. It was $350 and change, shipped brand new from Riffraff. You can always send it back in and have up to 16 tunes that you can change on the fly. The power, the throttle response, and the shifting are amazing! My only regrets are not having enough money at the time to get more tunes. Still amazes me how a little chip can do so much. For the $350 I spent it has to b the best mod out there IMO!

Old 07-20-2011, 02:37 PM
akorcovelos
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm...so no matter which tuner I get I would need to remove the bully dog. I guess that's ok, I can always sell the BD. I like the BD, but even on the "100hp" setting its not even close to what I felt in this guys sct tuned 6.0, and my buddies DP tuned 7.3.

I guess for now I'll keep the BD and wait until my trans craps out, then upgrade to a better tuner when the new trans goes in.

Thanks for all the help!