1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Help with window problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 06:43 AM
sac52
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with window problem?

I was hoping for a little advice before I tackle the most recent problem on my 52 in an attempt to avoid my usual routine which is to break three things while I am fixing one.
The anti rattle on my passenger side door seems to have come loose and is binding the window, preventing it from going up or down without some major force on the crank.
1. Why did this happen?
2. What do I need to do to fix it?
3. What is the best procedure to accomplish #2?
I assumed I would need to take the window out and replace the anti rattle with the current or even possibly new hardware. If so, what is the best way to do that? If not, what would be a better idea?
Thanks,
Steve

Old 07-20-2011, 09:00 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
The problem is likely that the clips have come out of their holes in the door; or the felts have come out of the clip; or the felts are just poorly made. Yes, you need to remove the glass, not a big deal really. But your nice paint job will make installing the felts tedious. Some of the past threads:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...dow-felts.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...w-fuzzies.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...-beltline.html

Old 07-26-2011, 02:36 PM
sac52
New User
I wanted to thank you for the reply and I wanted to give an update.
I got the window out...it was really bound in there!.. Actually chipped it in the upper corner, so I have to get a new window.
I found a clip off of the anti rattle down in the run of the window. I don't know if it fell there while I was taking everything apart or if it was the problem. Was able to get it back on the anti rattle strip and squeeze it tight and get the anti rattle back in the door with minimal difficulty. I put the window back in and it seems to work well except it will get bound because it rotates towards the front or the back of the opening and catches the window run. If I hold the window steady with my other hand it will go up and down fine. Any thoughts there?

Old 07-26-2011, 04:05 PM
jazzydog
Junior User
The glass usually does that when there is wear on the regulator, or something loose: wind the window down until you can see the regulator and its fixing to the glass, then while you study that, get hold of the top of the window and shove it forawrds and backwards - you should then see where the play is: then you need to figure out how to fix it LoL hope this helps :-)