Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Whoo-Yhoo, i got my tuner for my 3.7 ordered today

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:47 PM
XolieX
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alot of you seem not to have trust in ford! It's almost like why in the hell did u people even buy a ford if you guys feel this way about ford.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:57 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Ford" is a business, made up of people.

Ford needs to make money to stay in business. Paying for repairs when owners abuse (or fail to maintain) their vehicles is not good business.

Do I trust "Ford"? Absolutely - to provide me with the best truck available today. Do I trust "Ford" to watch out for my best interests? Simply put, NO.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:06 AM
truckerdude
Junior User
Originally Posted by XolieX
Alot of you seem not to have trust in ford! It's almost like why in the hell did u people even buy a ford if you guys feel this way about ford.
It's not Ford that I am worried about. It's so yahoo like you that thinks that they can put on a tuner, damage the truck, take it back off, take it in and get Ford to fix it for free. Here's the problem.
1. That costs the company money
2. Which in turn costs the shareholders money
3. Which in the long run makes me and everybody else pay more for our next car or truck because you got yours fixed for free

As was mentioned Ford didn't spend the money to have the pcm encrypted for nothing. It was to keep programmers from messing with the ecoboost and 6.7. I assume that since the 3.7 and 5.0 already has programmers out they left them open. That however doesn't mean that they can't tell whether the truck has been flashed. Heck, the old 6.0 Powerstroke could tell how many times it had been flashed. Get your tuner to give you a guarantee that his tuner either can't be detected or he will cover your engine warranty.

Oh, as far as GEICO they state the following "Exclusions to this policy include regular maintenance services such as tune-ups, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, lubrication, coolant and fluids, spark plugs, brake pads and linings, brake shoes, and tires. Also, breakdown repairs made necessary by intentional damage, corrosion, misuse, or improper maintenance are not covered. Mechanical Breakdown Insurance coverage is in excess of coverage provided by your manufacturer's warranty.

So here is your problem. First of all, you HAVE to use Ford's powertrain warranty before using Geico. If Ford void's theirs don't you think Geico will do the same. And second sure sounds like your tuner will be classified as "intentional damage" and or "misuse" to me.

Face it, you are screwed if you have a failure. So either start saving up your bucks to fix it out of pocket or go sell that tuner on ebay and try and get your money back.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:27 AM
FordTruckMan2004
Junior User
I don't see how flashing the PCM alone can be classified as intentional damage or misuse. Computer programers and builders have been changing parameters and overclocking for years and can still get warranty work done. I do see how flashing your PCM to a performance tune and removing the rev limiter or the governor the showing a record of hi rpm shifts or long periods of time a high rpms could be intentional damage/misuse but not flashing to use for it's intended purpose.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:29 PM
FORD FRED
Junior User
Xoliex, thank you for this thread. I hope that you will continue it and that you provide us with many more updates as time goes on. I do believe that Ford will be able to tell that your truck has been reflashed but I also doubt that this will ever be an issue. It is my personal opinion that those who want to abuse their trucks will be the ones that will cost Ford the most in ridiculous warranty cost wether they have a tune or not. There is no reason why a knowledable and sensible tune cannot add to the trucks reasonable use and life so long as the truck is being used for it's intended use. As i understood this to be a custom tune I would think that lowering the trucks maximum revs would be a desired inclusion in the tune. You as one of the first to have a tuned 3.7L will be showing the way and hopefully lead to in a couple of years these tunes being spot on and not abusive to the engines and thereby improving thsee trucks for us all. Thank you.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:56 PM
XolieX
Elder User
Originally Posted by shotgunz
"Ford" is a business, made up of people.

Ford needs to make money to stay in business. Paying for repairs when owners abuse (or fail to maintain) their vehicles is not good business.

Do I trust "Ford"? Absolutely - to provide me with the best truck available today. Do I trust "Ford" to watch out for my best interests? Simply put, NO.

what i mean by trusting ford is that they provided you with the top notch quality not having to worry about a break down. i've owned nothing but fords and has never gone thru any major breakdowns. the biggest problem i've ever had to deal with was a simple dumb master window switch and thats not a bi deal at all. so i ask all of you again, DO YOU TRUST FORD ENOUGH FOR THEM TO PROVIDE YOU THE BEST VEHICLE, AND FOR IT NOT TO BREAK DOWN. if not why, in the fI&*&^*&^ did you even buy one and not go with chevy.

i do however respect some of the constructive criticism from some of you folks but some people need to get a job and have better things to do online than bash people.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:08 PM
XolieX
Elder User
Originally Posted by FORD FRED
Xoliex, thank you for this thread. I hope that you will continue it and that you provide us with many more updates as time goes on. I do believe that Ford will be able to tell that your truck has been reflashed but I also doubt that this will ever be an issue. It is my personal opinion that those who want to abuse their trucks will be the ones that will cost Ford the most in ridiculous warranty cost wether they have a tune or not. There is no reason why a knowledable and sensible tune cannot add to the trucks reasonable use and life so long as the truck is being used for it's intended use. As i understood this to be a custom tune I would think that lowering the trucks maximum revs would be a desired inclusion in the tune. You as one of the first to have a tuned 3.7L will be showing the way and hopefully lead to in a couple of years these tunes being spot on and not abusive to the engines and thereby improving thsee trucks for us all. Thank you.
from what i hear, i'm not the only one who has them. i'm probably one of the first 10,20ish people but i'm doubt that i'm one of the first 5 that have them tuned. i believe people on other forums are getting them from troyer tuned too.

i really like the tunes and they make a nice improvement.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Closed until the local moderator can deal with this.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:48 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I will reopen this thread once. That type of language will not be tolerated. This is a family oriented site and if you can not act like an adult, then I suggest you move on.

These people speak the truth. Yes a tuner can be traced no matter if you reload the stock tune or not. If Ford can prove that the tune caused a said warranty problem, then they will not fix it at their expense. This is true of any manufacturer. I have used Diablosport Predators since about 2005 and never had any issues, but anything can happen. If there is a problem, for instance, caused by detonation, they see that you had a tune and will blame it on the timing being advanced in the tune and will not cover it. Simple as that. You may not have a problem, then there is nothing to worry about.
In this economy, you can bet if they can prove that a tuner caused said problem, then it will only get fixed on your dime.
This is fact and no reason to start calling names and using profanity. If you don't like the truth, then ignore it and move on.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:48 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If someone wants to tune their truck, go for it. I had a tune in my last truck for 4 or the 5 years I had it, and it ran great, HOWEVER, the tune can be detected. One just has to keep it in mind that if there is a major engine failure, Ford will look at the computer and if there are values that have been exceeded, and it shows the truck went 119 mph or something like that, it's doubtful it will be fixed under warranty. I took that chance knowing this myself, and I put the stock tune back in whenever it went to the dealer. Run the programmer and enjoy it, but just don't be surprised if the unfortunate happens.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:02 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Exactly. It's just a risk you take when altering the PCM when under warranty. It may or may not come back to bite you. If luck is on your side, then no worries.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:12 PM
fordguy61mi
Senior User
So I have an SCT X3 and thought about tuning my girlfriend's '10 F150 5.4L with an economy tune for better mileage AFTER her warranty runs out. What kind of an Increase in mileage are you guys getting that have done this with the 5.4?