Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Postmaster

BuckHammer has a good reputation on FTE.BuckHammer has a good reputation on FTE.
Pilgrim812
Cylinder Contribution Test throws P0196

I did my first CCT today. Right when I started the test, the engine sort of stumbles for a split second and shows P0196. I ran the test three times and it did the exact same thing each time.

What does a P0196 mean? I can't find it in the "PSD trouble codes" thread. I googled it and it said that it was some sort of EOT sensor malfunction. Can anyone verify this or be more specific as to what problem is indicated by the P0196?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I performed the CCT not long after a cold start, if that makes a difference.
1996 F-250 XLT 4x4, "Heavy Metal", 7.3L Powerstroke, ZF S5-42 transmission with Valair clutch and flywheel, Supercab, 8' bed, Riffraff 6637, HPX, Dieselsite 203 degree thermostat, 3" Downpipe to 4" straight pipe exhaust.
"you are not a troll. a pain in the --- sometimes, but not a troll." - tjc transport
Old 07-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Post Fiend

DIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to all
I haven't done the CCT myself but I know that the engine needs to be up to operating temp before it will allow the CCT to run. My guess is that the EOT (engine oil temperature) wasn't high enough to allow the test to run. The PCM pays no attention to coolant temp, only EOT.

That's my WAG anyway....

1997 F-350 7.3 PSD, 4x4, CCLB SRW, 3.55's, ZF5
If it isn't under warranty, I'll fix it myself.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Postmaster

BuckHammer has a good reputation on FTE.BuckHammer has a good reputation on FTE.
Pilgrim812
Oh, I didn't know that it had to be at operating temperature. That's the deal, then. Thank you.
1996 F-250 XLT 4x4, "Heavy Metal", 7.3L Powerstroke, ZF S5-42 transmission with Valair clutch and flywheel, Supercab, 8' bed, Riffraff 6637, HPX, Dieselsite 203 degree thermostat, 3" Downpipe to 4" straight pipe exhaust.
"you are not a troll. a pain in the --- sometimes, but not a troll." - tjc transport
Old 07-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Senior User

BIGRED 7.3L is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I also remember reading that oil temp must be at operating temp prior to the test as DIY states.
1996 F-350, CC, 4x4, ZF5, 4:10ls, MBRP, 6637, gauges, Aeroforce scan gauge, Valair K/C http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n611/bigred73/

"Life is hard; It's harder if you are stupid"-John Wayne.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Senior User

makomark is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Joseph:

The Gents are spot on. The test will fail and then exit if the PCM isn't satisfied that the engine is up to temp. Most all of the "test Caveats" are on that Service CD. Look under the PCED tab, select OBDI, select the correct model and go to 7.3 Diesel Diags, section 18. Then Perform diesel diagnostics. Based on a quick scan, they also give a preferred order to execute the testing sequence. I also found a performance sheet good for test execution and any code/diagnostic notes.

For the few tests I have run, I've filled out the relevent sections of that sheet. Like an oil analysis routine, that data allows establishing a trend line to gauge the health of the engine. Though it isn't running perfectly, it is still in the 'healthy' range.
1996 F-350 CC LB SRW, 7.3L w/ overhauled E4OD, 175K miles, N-FAB six-steps, Gauges by VDO, Custom Fuel Bowl, Curt 10K Hitch, Custom Towing Wiring, '95 style water pump, 205 deg stat, DIY Coolant Filter, 3" DE Downpipe, DE CAT-DEL Pipe, AC mod.

1999 F-150 RegCab LB, 4.6L-auto, 217K miles - Bone stock except for the custom towing package and the Trans Temp Gauge. Mobil 1 in both pans. Now (212K) 4 new Balljoints.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Posting Guru

arkredneck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Everyone says run the hell out of the truck an then test it my truck fails on different cylinders but It has stage 2s and Jim at rosewood said it's normal
Old 07-19-2011, 07:16 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1997, 2002, 73, 73l, boost, code, contribution, cyl, cylinder, diesel, engine, failure, ford, international, malfunction, p0196, powerstroke, test