HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:23 PM
williamweeks93
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP PLEASE

hello everyone,
this is my first post on your wonderful forum.
Ok here is the scoop. I have a 1977 ford class c R.V with a 460 installed, and an edelbrock 600cfm . so im classifying it at a one ton van chassis.
for the last year it has been idling so slow it could not stay on without pedal assistance. and when i tried to put it in drive. ive had to be real careful about feathering the gas or it would die. and would take up to a block to get it to 15mph without killing it....well this last weekend i snapped the throttle linkage line so i decided since im going to have to be under the hood anyway might as well replace the plugs and filters on it. well all the installation went well. and when i kicked it over afterwards it was running about 2500 rpm. even with the linkage taken off ,the choke all the way open and the idle screw lower then the bottom setting to where the mechanism isnt even touching. i tried loosening the hold down bolt and plate that holds down the distributer "breakerless" and it will not move "distributor not bolt".
Now can i just turn the dist. cap to change the timing on it . I am at an end of my limited knowledge to mechanics....what can i check to get the idle back to normal. is this distributor one that can be adjusted. and what made the rv do this. any help will be appreciated thanks william

Old 07-18-2011, 11:04 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the Big Block V8 forum.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:12 PM
twayneb
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am going back many years so my memory may be foggy. Have you checked the timing? I had a Colony Park wagon with the 460 and found the timing to be fussy. But that said it sounds like you may need a carb rebuild. There may be a leak in the float or the rubber seats may be dried and cracked for the carb needles. Hope this can help. Also check for cracked or disconnected vacuum lines. One other thing check the fuel evaporator canister filtre. It is on the bottom of the canister and may be covered in gunk which affects the vacuum. It is only a piece of foam.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:58 PM
429 f-100
Laughing Gas
sounds like carb issues to me i wouldn't touch the disp . i would get a light and see where it is first.what all did u change?

Old 07-19-2011, 07:50 PM
williamweeks93
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all i changed out was the plugs air and fuel filter and the throttle cable.
thanks twayneb i will check out the canister and the vacuum lines for leaks. just cant understand how it can go from 700rpm to 2500 minimum with only a plug and fuel filter change...its like its possessed .

Old 07-20-2011, 06:44 AM
429 f-100
Laughing Gas
take the cable off and make sure choke is open all the way and the spring is pulling the throttle plate closed. do you have access to a timing light ?