460 intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 03:44 PM
threefiftyone
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
460 intake

I'm trying to figure out if i can put a big round air filter in place of the factory air box on my 460 EFI.

Are there going to be issues with the MAF? I was searching through the 460 Ford Forum website and they say that you cant just put a different filter assembly in place of the old one. There are too many issues, things i've never heard of.

What are your opinions on this?

I bought a K&N clamp-on filter with a 4" inlet.

'96 F350 4x4 auto

Old 02-25-2011, 07:48 PM
92f2504x46.9
Freshman User
was wondering what to do with my 460 as well , i just cut out some plastic pieces today from the factory breather setup , need to find or make a two into one setup ?

Old 03-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
If you do an online search for “air filter test” there is a lot of very good information.
If you look at the flow data, WIX HP filters flow 98+% of K&N and have a much smoother flow post filter plus excellent filtering, for a fraction of the price! The OE’s have an excellent air intake system.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:10 PM
RPelkey
Former Vendor
K&N offers intake system 57-2510-1 which will give you an 11hp increase. This system will require you to remove the factory air box. Unfortunaltey this is a stage on system so you will still utilze the factor duct work from the throttle body.

You will not have any issues with the maf sensor with this kit it is a direct bolt in kit whic utilizes your factory sensor.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by RPelkey
K&N offers intake system 57-2510-1 which will give you an 11hp increase. This system will require you to remove the factory air box. Unfortunaltey this is a stage on system so you will still utilze the factor duct work from the throttle body.

You will not have any issues with the maf sensor with this kit it is a direct bolt in kit whic utilizes your factory sensor.
When you take into account the standard 5% dyno deviation......that means basically you have not changed any hp or tq.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:54 AM
mr7confused
New User
Originally Posted by threefiftyone

you cant just put a different filter assembly in place of the old one. There are too many issues, things i've never heard of.

'96 F350 4x4 auto
Do you remember any of these issues?

Old 05-25-2011, 09:14 AM
RPelkey
Former Vendor
If you visit our website at knfilters.com you can view the installation instructions for this kit. This is a direct replacement kit simple install

Old 05-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Beechkid
and read all the tech bulletins from ford, GM & Dodge about the contamination issues and warranty denials. I personally experienced this on a brand new 1997 Cougar sport (V8)- which I still own today. I have all the oasis reports documenting the contamination issue. After 3 replacements, on the 3rd one Ford requested the brand new K&N filter on the beand new car be removed, which I did in front of the service adviser. There have been no oil contamination or even a sensor failure to date after the K&N removal.

K&N despite being provided copies of the docs, denied responsibility and even refused to buy back the filter (which I bought directly from them).

Old 05-26-2011, 03:06 PM
spongebob
New User
Originally Posted by Beechkid
and read all the tech bulletins from ford, GM & Dodge about the contamination issues and warranty denials. I personally experienced this on a brand new 1997 Cougar sport (V8)- which I still own today. I have all the oasis reports documenting the contamination issue. After 3 replacements, on the 3rd one Ford requested the brand new K&N filter on the beand new car be removed, which I did in front of the service adviser. There have been no oil contamination or even a sensor failure to date after the K&N removal.

K&N despite being provided copies of the docs, denied responsibility and even refused to buy back the filter (which I bought directly from them).
Beechkid;
I've heard this story before. Didn't you also approach K&N reps at the drag races, clutching your prized Oasis reports in your fist, waving the reports in their faces, saying "SEEEE???? I TOLD YOU SO!!!"??

You seem to be vastly misinformed. The TSB's which you cite do discuss contamination; however they discuss the MANY sources of contamination, which are already present in a vehicle regardless of the type of filter used. Ford has a TSB (Article No. 88-23-10, ironically, which includes your 97 Cougar) that you should probably read. It begins:

"MAF sensors can get contaminated from a variety
of sources: dirt, oil, silicon, spider webs, potting
compound from the sensor itself, etc."

The GM bulletin (04-07-30-013B) says:

"The use of an aftermarket reusable air filter DOES NOT void the vehicle's warranty."

Not to mention all the testing, research, etc. K&N has done to defend their name and protect their customers. Don't know why they singled you out...their customer service is like Nordstroms...they'll take ANYTHING back. All you have to do is look at their website under "warranty". Guess they may have been ticked off after the waving-papers-in-faces episode...

Old 05-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by spongebob
Beechkid;
I've heard this story before. Didn't you also approach K&N reps at the drag races, clutching your prized Oasis reports in your fist, waving the reports in their faces, saying "SEEEE???? I TOLD YOU SO!!!"??

You seem to be vastly misinformed. The TSB's which you cite do discuss contamination; however they discuss the MANY sources of contamination, which are already present in a vehicle regardless of the type of filter used. Ford has a TSB (Article No. 88-23-10, ironically, which includes your 97 Cougar) that you should probably read. It begins:

"MAF sensors can get contaminated from a variety
of sources: dirt, oil, silicon, spider webs, potting
compound from the sensor itself, etc."

The GM bulletin (04-07-30-013B) says:

"The use of an aftermarket reusable air filter DOES NOT void the vehicle's warranty."

Not to mention all the testing, research, etc. K&N has done to defend their name and protect their customers. Don't know why they singled you out...their customer service is like Nordstroms...they'll take ANYTHING back. All you have to do is look at their website under "warranty". Guess they may have been ticked off after the waving-papers-in-faces episode...
Everything you say is true (and if you carefully read all of my posts regarding this, you will see that I even state what you have stated) except......
1. I never yelled at any K&N rep
2. I never waved any oasis report directly in the face of a K&N rep stating "I was right" (because in 1997, Ford was not using OASIS, that was a Hughes Space & Comm specific satellite system that a portion of which was used by GM, who owned Hughes at the time).
3. I did present copies (while holding my originals) service docs to K&N staff
4. K&N just ignored the documentation & was specifically to the K&N filter....despite absolute proof by both the dealer & Ford that the oil from the filter contaminated the air intake sensor (twice in 30 days) , they still inquired if I had re-oiled the filter....the repeated answer, no- it was installed straight out of the box. Ordered straight from K&N.

If you go to flatratetech and look at the training vids that are made specifially for ford, they specifically id oil coated air filters as an issue to watch out for to deny warranty claim repairs. GM has a similar vid....and it is true that the mere instal of an aftermarket filter does not void a warranty, they teach specifically how to determine if the oiled air filter caused a failure and that does deny warranty claims.

This TSB did not exist in 1997. In addition to all of this...
1. Despite having a filter that will flow up to 900 cfm (which the K&N will flow - approx), it makes absolutely no performance difference for a stock engine such as the 5.4 in the trucks which can only suck in a max of 480 cfm...the oem filter will flow up to 500 cfm

2. despite claims of "cold air", numerous persons have installed temp sensors in both the oem & aftermarket CAI's.....there is no temp change

3. Filtering quality, great for off road, questionable for street in terms of air flow versus particulant pass-through as compared to the competition (such as WIX)

4. post filtering flow...K&N is poor by comparison to other performance filters such as WIX...testing has been posted numerous times on the web-site, and consistantly demonstrates many filters have a better post filter flow characteristics when compared to K&N, which created circles or flow reversion.

Despite a great marketing program (which I do give credit to K&N, Summit, etc) for, basic scientific tests, that have been repeated, show the same results.

and last but not least.....I still have all of my oem docs identifying mileage, dates, etc of intake sensor failure and when it suddenly stopped- with the removal of the K&N filter.

now, do I use K&N specific filters in other vehicles...YES....Including my 1965 300 hp mustang (it is predominently a show vehicle and the paper elements cost me $30 each to replace)...but it has a Holley carb; would I use or recommend any oil-air filter on any MAF equipped vehicle- ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Given the response I had in 1997/8 from K&N, would I buy another K&N product- ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Old 05-27-2011, 10:52 AM
spongebob
New User
whew...THAT was a mouthful...

Old 07-06-2011, 09:40 AM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts
Don't over oil the filter and it wont give you any trouble.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by beartracks
Don't over oil the filter and it wont give you any trouble.
While that certainly would help, on my new 1997 Cougar Sport (V8), I installed a new, out of the box, stright from K&N replacement filter. It contaminated/damaged air intake sensors- twice in 60 days...documented by Ford engineers & Dealer...they put it in writing on the OASIS report. I pulled the filter in front of the tech & service writer with the install of the 3rd intake sensor....still own the car, not a single failure. K&N would not honor their warranty either stating "They must be wrong".

Old 07-07-2011, 10:09 AM
spongebob
New User
is there an echo in here?

Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 AM
400inatruck
Senior User
Well I just found a fault in your writing, don't know if you meant to or not, but you said once before "twice in 30 days" then you said "twice in 60 days". Make up your mind.

Quick Reply: 460 intake