1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Steering wheel, transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 07:39 PM
stanmckinney
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the great info. Can anyone suggest what I need to do to install turn signals? I can easily find the switch but not taillights with the proper bulbs or any kind of kit. Thanks again to all.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:52 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Just about any of the major suppliers have those tailight and front turn signal assemblies, bulbs, etc. Classic Haulers up in Indiana (speak to Candi), Early Ford, Dennis Carpenter to name a few. I'm assuming you're talking about a truck that is still 6 volt. If that's the case, you can buy the bulbs at most parts houses if that's all you need. You'll need an 1154 bulb for 6 volt (or the old standby 1157 if your truck has been converted to 12 volt). But if you're needing the whole thing, I'd recc. you just call one of those places and get the right tailight assemblies with brackets instead of trying to re-invent the wheel with a universal kit off the shelf.

We need to see pictures of your truck!!!

Old 07-19-2011, 08:47 AM
stanmckinney
Freshman User
Actually it has been converted to 12 volts. I have stoplights/taillights which I assume work. But there isn't the extra wire needed for the turn signals.
I have looked and looked and vendors online and not seen the bulb or anything to convert taillights/stoplights to turn signals.
I assume another wire has to be added somehow, right??

Thanks.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
It's much more than just adding a wire. Do you have a turn signal installed right now? If so, you need to give us a picture or at least a brand name.

If your truck never had a turn signal to begin with, you might want to consider something like the "Signal Stat 900". That one seems to be the most popular as an aftermarket install. There are some good threads about it here on FTE along with the wiring diagram. You'll end up running an extra wire to every signal light, changing all your bulbs to double filament (and changing out the contacts inside the lights too if it only had single filament bulbs), and you'll have to add a blinker under the dash among other things. The switch itself will come pre-wired. You'll need to purchase the other stuff separately.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:55 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by stanmckinney
Actually it has been converted to 12 volts. I have stoplights/taillights which I assume work. But there isn't the extra wire needed for the turn signals.
I have looked and looked and vendors online and not seen the bulb or anything to convert taillights/stoplights to turn signals.
I assume another wire has to be added somehow, right??

Thanks.
In the tail lights, the stop light circuit is also the turn signal circuit. The turn signal switch (if you get the right one) takes care of the combination duty. Or, you can run an entirely separate lamp.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:04 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Your local NAPA, Autozone, or O'Reilly's should have the dual contacts replacements. I bought mine at O'Reilly's, I believe, late last year to replace the bad contacts in my Panel truck. They're about $2-3 each.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
In the tail lights, the stop light circuit is also the turn signal circuit. The turn signal switch (if you get the right one) takes care of the combination duty. Or, you can run an entirely separate lamp.
Yes. And I think it's really cool to see how the switch will blink one side and still activate the brake light on the other side. But, to eliminate confusion, you still need the double filament bulb because the running lights are on a separate circuit altogether.

(I think this is my 1000th post and I haven't really said a damn thing worthwhile since I joined )

Old 07-19-2011, 10:21 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc
Yes. And I think it's really cool to see how the switch will blink one side and still activate the brake light on the other side. But, to eliminate confusion, you still need the double filament bulb because the running lights are on a separate circuit altogether.

(I think this is my 1000th post and I haven't really said a damn thing worthwhile since I joined )
Oh, go on Doc!! Congrats!

Just a note tho, you need to replace the entire socket if converting from single to dual filaments. The pins on the 2-filament bulbs are offset so the bulb can only go in one way. Replacing the socket can be easy or impossible, depending on the condition of the light's base inside.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:23 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Ross, I don't think that's the case. When I installed the turn signals in my 52 and went to go buy new 6v dual filament bulbs, I was asked whether I needed the pins to be offset or even on the bulb.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Oh, go on Doc!! Congrats!

Just a note tho, you need to replace the entire socket if converting from single to dual filaments. The pins on the 2-filament bulbs are offset so the bulb can only go in one way. Replacing the socket can be easy or impossible, depending on the condition of the light's base inside.
OR.....you can cut a corner like I did and file off that high pin on the bulb. It still held tight enough with the other pin that matches the original single filament socket. The bulb isn't as tight as it would be with both pins, but I've run mine about 3 or 4 months now without a problem.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:11 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Ross, I don't think that's the case. When I installed the turn signals in my 52 and went to go buy new 6v dual filament bulbs, I was asked whether I needed the pins to be offset or even on the bulb.
I don't know what dual-filament bulb would have "even" pins; I checked the Sylvania catalog and don't see any without an "indexed base" (offset pins). Do you know the number for the even pins?

Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2011, 12:48 PM
stanmckinney
Freshman User
My truck has never had turn signals.
I can't find a Signal Stat through an Internet search. I find questions and forums, but no place that sells it.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
GENUINE SIGNAL STAT TURN SIGNAL SWITCH # 900 NEW IN BOX | eBay

There's also a chrome version. I found mine on ebay as well.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:12 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Any of the repro parts places should have them as well. They may not be listed in the catalogs or online. Give them a call and ask.

Ebay is a wonderful resource as pointed out by mountaindoc.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:24 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
NAPA sells them too.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel, transmission questions