Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

reasons why ford's are better than chevy

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 04:29 PM
78_f800crewcab4x4
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
I never get anyone complaining about my brand. I am unsure of why anyone would do such a thing.

I never get complaints about my Dewalt tools either.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:40 PM
2tone250
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only little boys wear Bowties!

Old 03-25-2014, 12:23 PM
FatherDonald74
Junior User
Originally Posted by vic_v8
Ford has also had some failed cars, every car company has them. one word: Pinto
I know this is an old post but I have to say that yes, I do remember the Ford Pinto and it was a GREAT car. Only those who bought into the anti-Pinto propaganda and had never owned one thought it was a bad car.
The Pinto was an affordable, easy to maintain, reliable car with a variety of 4 cylinder engines all of which were known to have a rock solid reputation. The 2.3L Lima Engine in the Pinto is still used to this day as a solid platform for racing modifications.
Lets be real here, build quality was subpar on almost every compact car from back in the 70's, the Ford Pinto was not alone.
To save weight for MPG sake, the Pinto lacked a heavy duty bumper and reinforcements in the rear of the car were the gas tank was. This coupled with a differential cover bolt pointing right at the gas tank made for a firey combination in the event of a rear end collision. Many small cars from this era were lacking from a safety standpoint.
The main reason why the Pinto received a bad reputation is because an insurance article was leaked that stated it was cheaper for Ford to allow accidents to happen and people to die rather than fixing the potential problem. As long as no accidents happened, the Pinto was a reliable little commuter, if there was a rear impact....you could burn to death.
It just seems to me that if I was the owner of said car and I heard Ford was unwilling to fix the issue, I'd just install a beefier bumper and install different bolts on the differential so they don't protrude towards the gas tank. Maybe even add something as simple as a fuel tank skid plate? If the owners were willing to do a couple cheap and potentially life-saving upgrades to their cars instead of complaining about the issue, they could drive with confidence knowing they were safe. If the owner wasn't skilled enough to do the upgrades, a repair shop could do it in an hour or two and it wouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars. Seems like a small price to pay to keep yourself safe, doesn't it?
I'd drive a Pinto any day of the week with these upgrades. Let everyone say what they will about the car, I'd be the one still driving it long after everyone elses vehicles have been taken to the scrapyard.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:02 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Old 03-25-2014, 06:52 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmmm. I have owned a few Chevys, few dodge, few Ford. Back when i was married and 4 kids, i went with the Chevy Astro cuz Windstar was a pos. when i had work vans, of course Ford. What Ford car of the same year could compare to the Dodge Magnum?
I would drive anything that serves the purpose i guess. Luckily for me, for the last 20 years, that has been Ford.

Edit: after a quick recollection, the Astro was the wife's, i had a 2004 E250. Then a 2001 e150, then this 1979 F250.

I owned a Dodge truck for about 6 months in there somewhere, but it just got me from A to B, i really never got interested in doing anything with it.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:21 PM
Dave145
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i on an 07 ram...that thing's a bigger POS than my ford is. Waaaay bigger money pit. Never again will I buy another dodge (ok ok I'll buy it if it was made before 1990). Considering it's got that 5.7L Hemi in it, it doesnt feel like it's got any power at all. Then again Im comparing that feel to that of my bone stock, leaky, squeaky ford smal block in my 78...frankly it feels lie my 78 makes more ppower even though it tually makes over 100 horsepower less...

Old 03-26-2014, 07:42 AM
zgraham
Freshman User
The reason Fords are the best......300 Straight Six nuff said.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:36 PM
engine14
New User
FORD For Outstanding Rough Dudes

Old 03-27-2014, 02:55 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now come on guys. Not all chevys are junk. Just last week I saw a chevy truck pushing a ford with a chain. Couldnt believe it.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:22 AM
Samorkand
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I work for an Oil and Gas company in Wyoming. They used to buy mostly Chevy. When I hired on in 2005 I was given a brand new Chevy 2500HD pickup. We drive on dirt roads mostly. My Front Bumper had to be replaced 2 times. The brackets were so thin and flimsy the rough roads would tear them apart. The hood latch bracket wore through once. Luckily I was on a dirt road not going very fast when it broke. One guy was going down the highway and his hood let loose. Had to replace the Fuel Pump twice in 88k miles. The Chevy guys I work with said I should have kept the gas tank over half full and I wouldnt have happened. The low hanging frame got me stuck more than I can count in the deeper snow. I know it was a Chevy issue when Fords drove through the same stuff and pulled me out. Constant issues with wiring and Tail Lights. After 3 years I was given a new 2008 F-250. The Chevy had much better power than the 5.4 did I will give it that but the only issue I had the next 2 years was the fuel mileage wasn't nearly as good as the Chevy. The Ford just worked. Kind of like Apple products they just work. Im not saying Fords dont have issues but comparing apples to apples in the situation I was in. the Ford worked better.
Our supervisors asked the mechanic shops we take vehicles too what brand seemed to have less trouble. Keep in mind most if not all the shop owners drive Chevy's. They all said Ford tend to come in less often for bigger issues. Engines, transfer cases, water pumps, electrical problems and fuel pumps. Are most of these issues due to crappy roads? Maybe. We only buy Fords now. Dodge was never even an option.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:29 AM
Gadsden
Freshman User
Has someone said "because they have 3 times the water pump bolts"? That one is standing out to me in particular this week.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:27 PM
zstvincent
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grandmas77f150
I don't associate myself with people who are ignorant enough to start a Ford vs. Chevy discussion
Yet you were on this thread and replied, so you are associating yourself with the same ignorant people your referring to?

Old 09-09-2019, 03:38 PM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by zstvincent
Yet you were on this thread and replied, so you are associating yourself with the same ignorant people your referring to?
And you're replying to a reply that is 8yrs old?

The threads been dead for 5yrs and you asked the ? 8yrs ago. Doubt he's even on here anymore.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:30 PM
zstvincent
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know it took a while to reply I was busy with life I just got back on here and felt I should reply lol it was definitely a good thread maybe it can pop off again

Old 09-09-2019, 10:20 PM
captainwoot
Senior User
It's kind of funny to read all of this. I've owned some of both and they all served their purpose at the time. I've also been a Chrysler tech for 30yrs. My wife's last new vehicle was a Tacoma! I really believe the quality has declined in the last decade right across the board. Pick your poison all modern vehicles are garbage. Drive what you like! I love my old Ford aka "the blister". When it dies I will search out another one lol.

Quick Reply: reasons why ford's are better than chevy