Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Water/Oil Separator

Old 07-17-2011, 06:53 AM
new england builder
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking Water/Oil Separator

Hello, I'm new here and I don't know if this has been discussed before; I scanned the old threads quickly -- but there are a LOT!

Anyway -- I have just recently purchased an 89 with a 7.3 Diesel. Now I'm familiar pretty much with these Internationals because I have owned an '87 for awhile (see my profile pics). But on that truck that I purchased from an old diesel mechanic had the water/fuel separator completely disconnected -- he once told me because he was "tired of it leaking" and didn't worry about the water in the fuel issue. I think it has of course eroded the sleeves but that's another story for another day.

Anyway -- so I have this '89 with the original factory setup that I want to keep, but its leaking like a sieve. I put in an order for a new filter, the bottom sensor assembly, so I'm hoping that will solve the problem, but I'm concerned as I've heard many times before that these had a reputation for leakage.

Is this true? If so, has anyone managed a fix for this?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums Here is a link to the IDI diesel page, better to ask the guys there.
However the older water seperator canister on the drivers side firewall did give trouble but the newer type seems pretty good.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:22 PM
new england builder
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks! Will check it out!

Search this Thread