6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ford Rotunda IDS VCM System

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 05:35 PM
OzF350
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Rotunda IDS VCM System

I am interested in this setup. I want it to regularly change tire sizes on my 2011 6.7 F350. I swap between different sizes when doing off road etc. I also would like to change TPMS as needed.

I can also use it to help diagnose any problems? I travel remote parts of Australia and may be 1000 miles from anyone and 2000miles from anyone who knows anything about these trucks (there are only about 40 on the road at the moment)

As my vehicle was fully imported into Australia and converted to right hand drive I don't have anyone near me to change these settings for me.

Am I biting of more than I can chew?

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:41 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AutoEnginuity will be releasing their 2011 Ford updates soon...about $400 or so and does most of the stuff the IDS does...It should do the TPMS and the tire size recalibrations based on features available in the current release for 2010's...We use it all the time to run diagnostics on 6.0 and 6.4 engines.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:57 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by rickatic
AutoEnginuity will be releasing their 2011 Ford updates soon...about $400 or so and does most of the stuff the IDS does...It should do the TPMS and the tire size recalibrations based on features available in the current release for 2010's...We use it all the time to run diagnostics on 6.0 and 6.4 engines.
I am really interested in this. Is this software that runs on a laptop and cables into the OBDII port? Also wondering if it really is powerful or just a consumer grade stripped down product.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:04 PM
OzF350
New User
Thanks, sounds exactly like what I need and $3000 cheaper

Old 07-16-2011, 10:16 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
I am really interested in this. Is this software that runs on a laptop and cables into the OBDII port? Also wondering if it really is powerful or just a consumer grade stripped down product.
Yes, it plugs into the OBD2 port using their proprietary dongle and cables to your laptop. You have to purchase the base unit and the Enhanced Ford Package to get the good stuff. IIRC, when I bought the package 2 years ago it cost around $350. It is a bunch more capable than a code reader

My nephew has been the master of the AE for us. He can do magic with the software. The AE can run sophisticated diagnostics. HPOP readings, cylinder balance by individually shutting off injectors(just do not turn too many off), ramp throttle up and down and read all the engine sensors. I do not do the AE system justice with my explanation. It is powerful stuff.

The AE software also communicates with the PCM, BCM, TCM and any other computer modules in the truck. Speedometer calibrations to many tire sizes. On the 6.0 stuff, there were more tire sizes available than the dealers IDS system. Again, I do not do it justice.

I am planning on getting the 2011 upgrade as soon as it is available. It is just too much fun to be able to see all that goes on with the truck. I would not be surprised if the software will allow fuel tank sizing by the gallon. This will be great if it happens. Guy's with bed mounted tanks should be able to program the truck to read correct MTE.

AE stands behind their product. When they make an announcement that a new feature will be added, they make it happen. The cylinder balance testing on the 6.0 was not included when I bought the software. Upgrades are free for about a year. It became available before my upgrade period expired and I just downloaded the latest version to get it.

Here is a link to their website:

AutoEnginuity® - OBD2 Scan Tool - Professional PC and PDA Diagnostics

That will keep you busy for a while.

No, I do not work or have any affiliation with AE...those that know my computer skills can guarantee that to be true.

Regards

Old 07-16-2011, 11:12 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Thanks Rick. Can't wait.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Just want to say that I've had the AE setup for about 6 months now, and I have to completely agree with Rick on it's capability!

I purchased it to help diagnose some intermittent issues with my '00 Contour, and it's truly amazing how many things you can keep track of. If I remember right it was capable of reading over 180 different figures for the old Contour. When I plug it into something newer, there are LOTS more things it can see and do.

I paid $400 for mine a few months ago which includes the Ford enhanced package. Without the manufacturer-specific enhance data you can only see the "generic" OBD information which includes coolant temp and O2 sensor stats. The scan tool by itself is $250, and then the enhanced data is an extra $150-250 per manufacturer. I only have the enhanced Ford package, but this may change in the future if I need to diagnose something else.

Absolutely the best thing available for the advanced DIYer as well as the professional!

Old 07-17-2011, 01:15 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
I just looked at the price at Riff Raff Diesel. Clay has the AE with Ford Enhanced for $359.95 and free shipping. I did not buy the AE we have now from Clay. Seeing that I gave the AE to my nephew for all his help, I will buy one from Clay as soon as the 2011 version is available.

Regards

Old 07-17-2011, 02:00 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
I just looked at the price at Riff Raff Diesel. Clay has the AE with Ford Enhanced for $359.95 and free shipping. I did not but the AE we have now from Clay. Seeing that I gave the AE to my nephew for all his help, I will buy one from Clay as soon as the 2011 version is available.

Regards
Rick - put me on your reminder list when they are available.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:04 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I just looked at the price at Riff Raff Diesel. Clay has the AE with Ford Enhanced for $359.95 and free shipping. I did not but the AE we have now from Clay. Seeing that I gave the AE to my nephew for all his help, I will buy one from Clay as soon as the 2011 version is available.

Regards
That's a good price. Saves around $40.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:26 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001

Absolutely the best thing available for the advanced DIYer as well as the professional!
ids has it beat hads down. sorry. what I have seen of the AE it is more then most diy people will need, a great product. but not better then factory

Old 07-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by cheezit
ids has it beat hads down. sorry. what I have seen of the AE it is more then most diy people will need, a great product. but not better then factory
I completely believe you, I wasnt including the factory tools in that statement.

How much does an IDS cost?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:51 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

ids is $2400 dealer price thats the vcm and software does not include the laptop.
a complete kit with vmm and all cables runs near 10k

Old 07-17-2011, 09:08 PM
OzF350
New User
There is one now on fleabay for about $3k with laptop, looks legit??

Do you think the IDS will be easy enough to do for what I want?

Old 07-17-2011, 09:10 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

do not buy one from ebay... many of them are stolen and service will be shut off or non renewable.
if you want one go to your local dealer and ask if they will order one for you.
or try motorsport.com

Quick Reply: Ford Rotunda IDS VCM System