Weak Trailer Driveline Components - Your breakdown Stories

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 03:58 AM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weak Trailer Driveline Components - Your breakdown Stories

So on a trip up to one of our lakes I had my left rear leaf spring explode when I hit a frost heave. Well the dropping of the axle caused the tire to shear off. The tire shear continued backwards and tore off the plastic wheel skirting and the underside skirting of my travel trailer. At least it did not take out the black water tank - that would have been a S h itty mess . So I parked this along the side of the road at one of our DOT Stations and left it there for 2-weeks while I waited for parts. They had just finished grading their parking lot and here I come dragging this thing in on the hub. Good thing I knew all of them. THE original leaf spring, rim and tire were stamped with "Made In China". I'm in the process of replacing all parts now, but bit by bit.

2006 Max Lite 29BHS by Trail Vision

Those with Trail Vision trailers might want to check your driveline/s. Just need to vent...

With that said what have been some of your "horror or break-down" stories?

Helped a guy drive up a school bus conversion in 92. Alt belt broke in the middle of the Yukon. Used shoe laces to make it to the next town.

Last edited by mlb4966; 07-15-2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:12 PM
HrdDrv
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Was on a date many years ago, the alternator belt broke. She had on new panty hose and I pulled a knife and said 'Give-em-up', without realising my actions. She was horrified while I explained it was our only chance out of our situation. She obliged, I used one leg for 20 miles, and had to use the other to finish the trip.
I later bought her a new pair and a ring.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:59 AM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Good to see I'm not the only one that "Murphy" does not like. Panty hose - shoe strings, lessons in life to get us down the road.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:39 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by HrdDrv
Was on a date many years ago, the alternator belt broke. She had on new panty hose and I pulled a knife and said 'Give-em-up', without realising my actions. She was horrified while I explained it was our only chance out of our situation. She obliged, I used one leg for 20 miles, and had to use the other to finish the trip.
I later bought her a new pair and a ring.
I understand the fixing part, but don't understand how you got the alternator belt to break on schedule!

Steve

Old 07-19-2011, 09:56 AM
lakedweller
Elder User
I was on my way to Florida towing double, we got just over the bridge into Ky and my class 3 hitch I had a buddy put on my 5er snapped. People were passing us and pointing at the rear of my 5er. I pulled over and my little trailer was hanging by the safety chain. Lucky I am somewhat **** and rapped a chain all the way around the first place the hitch cross piece bolted into the frame. The end of the hitch and the insert were still attached to the small trailer. What happened was my buddy used thin wall square tubing to join the 2 1/4' tubing welded to the cross members bolted to the frame and the class 3 sleeve I purchased from TSC, that's where it snapped. Took the 5er to a motel and dropped it, then went back for the little trailer. Had to go into Cincinnati the next day t o have it repaired. The welding shop rewelded the two pieced using 2 1/2" thick walled tubing and welded another 2x4" angle in back of the bumper for added strength. No more problems with the hitch.

We got down to Florida and we were setting up and TV, microwave, all ac powered appliances did not work. Well had to wait till morning find out why. Checked power coming in and all was OK. All appliances were fried and so was the converter. Called te insurance comapny and they said I was covered. Had everything replaced and all was OK. I was talking to a friend and he asked if the battery was disconnected before the welding and I said no, He said I was lucky didn't take out the truck too. Did not know that the battery needed to be disconnected before welding.

Wow what an experience.....

Old 07-19-2011, 10:04 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by lakedweller
I was on my way to Florida towing double, we got just over the bridge into Ky and my class 3 hitch I had a buddy put on my 5er snapped. People were passing us and pointing at the rear of my 5er. I pulled over and my little trailer was hanging by the safety chain. Lucky I am somewhat **** and rapped a chain all the way around the first place the hitch cross piece bolted into the frame. The end of the hitch and the insert were still attached to the small trailer. What happened was my buddy used thin wall square tubing to join the 2 1/4' tubing welded to the cross members bolted to the frame and the class 3 sleeve I purchased from TSC, that's where it snapped. Took the 5er to a motel and dropped it, then went back for the little trailer. Had to go into Cincinnati the next day t o have it repaired. The welding shop rewelded the two pieced using 2 1/2" thick walled tubing and welded another 2x4" angle in back of the bumper for added strength. No more problems with the hitch.

We got down to Florida and we were setting up and TV, microwave, all ac powered appliances did not work. Well had to wait till morning find out why. Checked power coming in and all was OK. All appliances were fried and so was the converter. Called te insurance comapny and they said I was covered. Had everything replaced and all was OK. I was talking to a friend and he asked if the battery was disconnected before the welding and I said no, He said I was lucky didn't take out the truck too. Did not know that the battery needed to be disconnected before welding.

Wow what an experience.....
God was looking after you on that one!

Steve

Old 07-19-2011, 11:55 AM
mudfuel06
Elder User
Had a tire blowout on our old Mako, took out all of the wiring for the slide, the trim pieces off the side and bent the rim rim dragging it off the road. They were Crapisle tires, proudly thrown together in China!

Old 07-19-2011, 11:57 AM
aprice
Senior User
when i was young and dumb i took the tires off my truck to polish the aluminum rims and rotate them. Next day i haul a car for a friend to his cousins in exchange for a tractor. on the way home i am passed by my left rear tire. At that time i didn't know that you had to recheck the lug nuts after 100 miles. luckly had a spare tire with spare lug nuts for the steel rim

Old 07-19-2011, 12:52 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
On the East coast to west coast and back trip my wife and I took grandsons on a few years back we were trying to set up late in the day (still light) near Glacier Nat'l Park. The spot was a horrid one where it was MUCH lower than the campground roadway.

Got the old 30' Prowler 5th wheel pretty much level while the truck was still pointed up hill. Got the front landing gear lowered to take weight off the truck as we needed to use it the next day to go to the Nat'l Park. As soon as I finally got the hitch unlocked, the trailer started backing away from the truck!!!! The street side landing gear had collapsed!! Luckily, I did use tire chocks prior to releasing the hitch. Trailer stopped and I got the truck/trailer rehooked....PHEW!

As luck would have it, I had a spare set of bevel gears I had purchased when I had to replace the ones on the opposite side a few years earlier and the oldest grandson and I were actually able to work between the rear of the truck and the trailer and remove that landing gear and remove and replace the bevel gears right there! What a job.... It sure pays sometimes to have all the tools you need on those LONG trips!

Old 07-19-2011, 11:32 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
I saw an article in an RV magazine that you don't need to carry tools in your 5er, too much weight. He said everybody else carries tools and you can borrow the tools you need from them. I would net leave home without tools. I seem to be the one who carries tools for people that must have read and heeds that article....

Old 07-20-2011, 06:22 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I carry a 1/4, 3/8/1/2 and 3/4 drive sets. Both Metic and the real stuff. Plus assorted wrenches.

What I haven't been carrying as snap ring plyers. Gonna add that to the list. Aside from a fuse or two I have never really had a breakdown.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:18 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
Leave the tools home once, Scott..... you will ........!