6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Dislike - Open doors, parking lights come on

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 03:05 PM
DrewF
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dislike - Open doors, parking lights come on

One of the *features* I dislike is that when I open the exterior doors, the parking lights come on. Day or night.

I'd like to be able to open the door without drawing attention that I am at my vehicle at night. (even if it is not running.)

Is there a way to disable this? I couldn't find anything in the manual.

I also REALLY miss the dome override feature that GM has.

Sometimes, I want to leave the door open, but not have any dome lights on at night.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by DrewF
One of the *features* I dislike is that when I open the exterior doors, the parking lights come on. Day or night.

I'd like to be able to open the door without drawing attention that I am at my vehicle at night. (even if it is not running.)

Is there a way to disable this? I couldn't find anything in the manual.

I also REALLY miss the dome override feature that GM has.

Sometimes, I want to leave the door open, but not have any dome lights on at night.
Yeah, I have the same problem.. I heard that if you knew your dealer or tech then they might program the computer to "Police Blackout" which would eliminate the lights. I had a Tx Game Warden pull up to the house one night in a new F-150 & when he opened his door - no interior or exterior lights came on. The problem is - in later years you might not get a tech to return the programming to normal & the buyer might think that the switch is broken...

I took off the door panel and found the wire that "Trips" when the door is opened. Basically it is grounded when closed & not grounded when open. I cut it & ran it to a rocker switch on the drivers side door panel - grounded the switch so that when activated it would keep the wire grounded.

It did the trick - No interior or exterior lights, no dings , etc. But, then it also would show door ajar all the time ... I finally disconnected - I'm on the right track, but I need to dig back into it and get it to work...

Old 07-14-2011, 03:55 PM
DrewF
Senior User
We should come up with a list of recommended changes to have made at the dealer before taking delivery so that new buyers can negotiate it as part of their deal.

1) Program DRLs
2) Program Police Blackout
3) Program Chime alert for door open (I think it is programmable)

Old 07-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Since there are already some things we can program - like the courtesy wipe, etc - they should let us do this - seems that it would be easy...

Old 07-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Sportscraft
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was wondering if it was something we can program (haven't pulled out my book yet). I don't mind it now, but I'm going to bolt up a set of running boards off my last tuck that have both amber running lights and the clear puddle lights. Defeats the purpose of the clear lights plus ALOT of lights to be turning on every time I open my door. Does any one know if the trailer light circuit operates the same way? If not I'll just be sure and tap my running boards into the trailer lights.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:31 PM
mach8274
Tuned
Originally Posted by Sportscraft
I was wondering if it was something we can program (haven't pulled out my book yet). I don't mind it now, but I'm going to bolt up a set of running boards off my last tuck that have both amber running lights and the clear puddle lights. Defeats the purpose of the clear lights plus ALOT of lights to be turning on every time I open my door. Does any one know if the trailer light circuit operates the same way? If not I'll just be sure and tap my running boards into the trailer lights.
When my TT is connected, the running lights on the TT also turn on when a door is opened. So, yes. The trailer running light circuit is wired the same.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:26 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
Originally Posted by mach8274
When my TT is connected, the running lights on the TT also turn on when a door is opened. So, yes. The trailer running light circuit is wired the same.
+1 Mine lights the trailers running lights also. Bugs me to but I guess I have to live with it....

Old 07-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Sportscraft
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info. I can always count on this place to get my questions answered!