"service engine soon"

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by roger.lees51
Hi,
I e mailed a few weeks ago about my 2001 7.3 misfiring, service engine light on, etc. I got some some great responses, but the problem was not well defined as to when it occurred and the light went out, so I continued to drive the truck and took no action.
Last weekend it acted up again. It seems to occur regularly when I drive at high speed (65-70 mph) and for a lengthy period of time, usually about two hours.
I hope I am narrowing this down. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Roger
Will need to pull the codes and go from there. Any other suggestion would be a guess unless we know what codes you have.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:29 PM
roger.lees51
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque converter cover will not come off

Hi,
I am trying to change transmission fluid in my 2001 F-250 4X4 diesel. I have removed four bolts on the cover to the torque converter. It is now quite loose but will not come off. It seems to be hung up up behind the started. Did my dear friends at ford hide a bolt up there where no one can possibly reach it without removing the starter? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Roger

Old 10-30-2011, 02:10 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 615 Likes on 383 Posts
Hi,
I am trying to change transmission fluid in my 2001 F-250 4X4 diesel. I have removed four bolts on the cover to the torque converter. It is now quite loose but will not come off. It seems to be hung up up behind the started. Did my dear friends at ford hide a bolt up there where no one can possibly reach it without removing the starter? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Roger
Not sure, but the starter is really easy to remove, just 2 or 3 13mm bolts and it comes right off. Just use some wire to hold it out of the way without hanging it by the electrical connections. (And be careful not to arch the connections, either.) .

Old 10-30-2011, 04:17 PM
roger.lees51
Freshman User
thanks

Thanks, I was able to get the offending bolt out. Do the engineers get paid extra for finding places that are nearly inaccessible to place nuts and bolts/?Or is it just their sick humor?
Would you happen to know the proper way to refill the trans? I don't want to over fill it before the torque converter fills, but I don't know if i should start it for just a second or two in order to fill the torque converter and then top it off?
Thanks again,
Roger

Originally Posted by ToMang07
Not sure, but the starter is really easy to remove, just 2 or 3 13mm bolts and it comes right off. Just use some wire to hold it out of the way without hanging it by the electrical connections. (And be careful not to arch the connections, either.) .

Old 10-30-2011, 04:46 PM
roger.lees51
Freshman User
starting up the truck when you've changed trans fluid

hi,
Can anyone tell me the proper way to start my F 250 after I have drained the trans and the torque converter?
Do you fill the pan, start it for a moment so the torque converter fills and then refill?
Thanks

Old 10-30-2011, 08:50 PM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Roger, most guys doing a tranny flush use Marks procedure. I'm guessing all the bolts you took out were for the dust shield over the fly wheel?

Changing ATF Fluid in a E4OD and 4R100 transmission .: Articles

Old 10-31-2011, 09:03 AM
roger.lees51
Freshman User
Thanks Dean. I got about 99% of it correct. I did not drain the transmission line, but I will be sure and do so the next time.
Thanks Again.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Leont
Freshman User
CPS

I have a 7.3 also. I had pulled the tank and cleaned the filter in there that was really dirty. I had seen another post. I also changed the fuel pump and the filter on the engine. Mine is a 2001 also F350 and has 230,000 miles on it. Previous it was loosing power then had chugged to a stop. This was all about 8000 miles ago. Has been running great since. Today I was coming home on the highway and the check engine soon light came on and it stalled. I pulled it to the side and tried to restart it. It failed. I sat for a bit, called my grand son to come get me. I relieved the pressure from the filter to see it I had fuel and did. I got back in and it started right up, drove fine and now no problem in driveway idleing and will rev up easily. Have not taken it back out. I checked the ICP you mentioned above and no oil. ??
Should I change the CPS? Thanks! Not sure if I am supposed to start another thread.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:39 AM
roger.lees51
Freshman User
code reader

Hi,
Can anyone give me some feed back on code readers? I have an 2001 F-250 and a 2004 Acura. I am looking for a code reader with a link to repair information, etc. there are so many on the market and they all offer different functions.......
Thanks,
Roger

Old 02-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
1) Scan Tool

a) AutoEnginuity (AE)

2) Problem

a) CPS

3) Transmission Flush

a) Next time do the flush by Mark K. Measure the output and add that exact amount in, and you will never have to add or subtract fluid

b) Use Mercon V fluid.

4) Thoughts

a) Did you buy the truck new? Did the vehicle already have the CPS recall done? If you don't know, contact your local dealer with the VIN number to find out. They can also tell you what other things have been done through Ford. Do not get them to read your codes though. It will cost "about" 1/2 of what a AE cost new. Save that money and get the most valuable tool (AE), you can have to repair your 7.3

Good Luck!

Old 02-16-2012, 06:34 PM
roger.lees51
Freshman User
thanks

Whitey,
Thanks for the response.I did buy the truck new and I checked with Ford and the CPS recall was done in 2008. I want to purchase a code reader, but there are so many choices. I am looking for some feed back good vs bad models.
Thanks again,
Roger

Old 02-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Roger:

You are correct. There are many code readers. But if you want the one that a majority here consider to be the best, it is AutoEnginuity (AE).

Best of Luck!

Old 02-16-2012, 07:53 PM
roger.lees51
Freshman User
Thanks again Whitey,
I am in touch with the folks at Riffraff and I'll get the one the best serves my needs.
Roger

Old 02-16-2012, 08:43 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Clay will take care of you at RiffRaff rest assured and will probably point you in the right direction with the problems you are experiencing.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:00 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Thanks again Whitey,
I am in touch with the folks at Riffraff and I'll get the one the best serves my needs.
Roger
Excellent idea! That is where I got mine. AE technical support is excellent also, if you should have any issues when you first start off.

Let us know how it all turns out!

Quick Reply: "service engine soon"