1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas VS Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:27 PM
droff85
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas VS Diesel

Ok I'm looking at two different F250's. One is a crew cab 2wd with a triton v8 and the other is an extended cab 4wd with a diesel. I have to drive about 30 miles to work one way every day and was wondering which one would give me the best average fuel economy.

Now my personal opinion would be to get the diesel for the pulling power. I help my dad on his farm and we have to haul his tractors and equipment to different locations. But I also would like to have the crew cab for the ability to haul kids around easier. I can live without 4wd I have done that for the last couple of years with my current truck but I hate having to be a little more careful with what paths I choose.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:57 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Depends which diesel, 6.4L would probably get a hair better mileage but with diesel costing more it would be a wash and that would be before the more expensive oil changes. A 7.3L would get better mileage and a 6.0L probably would but then there are the problems with them.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:03 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 615 Likes on 383 Posts
If you work on the farm, get the diesel, if for no other reason than 4x4.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:40 AM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What year trucks are you talking about? That can make a big difference on the opinion of the diesel engine. There were 4 different ones in the SD's from 99-11

Old 07-14-2011, 01:23 AM
bigblue61
Senior User
99-03- 7.3 liter powerstroke, engine has very few mechanical problems and most are simple fixes, gets the best mileage

03-07-6.0 more power than the 7.3 but early engines (03 and 04) have known problems, most tend to avoid these years, other wise has proven to be a strong engine that also provides decent mileage

08-10-6.4, even more power but suffers in mileage, comparable to gas engines, complex engine with multiple emission controls

11+ - 6.7, most power to date, owners have reported good mileage so far, also a very complex engine

Honestly as far as fuel goes your probably only going to save on the 7.3 and even thats close depending on the amount of miles you drive. The cost of diesel lately and the added upkeep has really taken a bite out of the diesel fuel economy. The amount of pulling power you need/wants depends on how much you truly tow and what distances. I have an extended cab and constantly wish I had more space.

All in all if those are the only two trucks you have to choose from I would go with the gas but only because of the crew cab and you say you can get by with 2wd. I think you should keep looking though to find a truck that suits all of your needs.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:01 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
These guys are all making great points. Listen to them

--

To the rest of the peeps, NO DEBATE here.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:20 AM
droff85
Senior User
Thanks for the comments. I don't know for sure what year the trucks are but if I had to guess I would say the 99-03. But I actually like the looks of the extended cab better than the crew but if I am going to use it for the farm I really need to get the 4x4. I guess mileage isn't going to be much of a factor but I get like 17mpg in the truck I have now and if I could get the same or better than that I might could convince the old lady to let me trade.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:23 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

I say get the diesel, but I can't tell you why I say so because I will start a DEBATE.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:24 AM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by droff85
Thanks for the comments. I don't know for sure what year the trucks are but if I had to guess I would say the 99-03. But I actually like the looks of the extended cab better than the crew but if I am going to use it for the farm I really need to get the 4x4. I guess mileage isn't going to be much of a factor but I get like 17mpg in the truck I have now and if I could get the same or better than that I might could convince the old lady to let me trade.
The mileage isn't too bad on the diesel as long as it's in good shape... I'm getting around 18mpg at the moment w/ my setup.

And when factoring in fuel cost.... don't forget about "off-road/farm" diesel!

Old 07-14-2011, 11:47 AM
droff85
Senior User
miller_feed thanks for the welcome but I have been here before but it was a couple of years ago when I had a 68 f100.

And to the comment about the off-road/farm diesel. I know you have to be registered with the state to get the diesel and not pay taxes on it but you also have to register the vehicle as a farm truck and that limits the number of miles you can put on the vehicle in a given year.

I'm just wondering if I got the diesel would I get in the low or high 'teens and I know with the gas burner I would get probably less than that with much of a load.

I am seriously thinking about getting the diesel though. I have always wanted one and if I need to pull anything I wouldn't have to worry about is it too heavy or do I need to go borrow someone's full size. I also know that my family only has one truck to pull my dad's gooseneck trailers (one flat bed and the other a cattle trailer) and the old 85 chevy 1ton flat bed ain't in the best of shape.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:58 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Unless you are hauling long distances, go with the gasser. You will be money ahead in the long run. You may haul heavy tractors, but I'm guessing the distances are short. The gasser pulls just as much load. It just isn't as good at it for long distance runs.

I also think you need to look at other trucks. You can get a gasser, crewcab, 4WD. You just have to look.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:00 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by droff85
miller_feed thanks for the welcome but I have been here before but it was a couple of years ago when I had a 68 f100.

And to the comment about the off-road/farm diesel. I know you have to be registered with the state to get the diesel and not pay taxes on it but you also have to register the vehicle as a farm truck and that limits the number of miles you can put on the vehicle in a given year.

I'm just wondering if I got the diesel would I get in the low or high 'teens and I know with the gas burner I would get probably less than that with much of a load.

I am seriously thinking about getting the diesel though. I have always wanted one and if I need to pull anything I wouldn't have to worry about is it too heavy or do I need to go borrow someone's full size. I also know that my family only has one truck to pull my dad's gooseneck trailers (one flat bed and the other a cattle trailer) and the old 85 chevy 1ton flat bed ain't in the best of shape.
Who is registering? You work on a farm.... farm has farm equipment.... bet it has Farm-Diesel!

Seriously tho, I have had gassers of all 3 domestic trucks, this is my first diesel, and I can honestly say I will NEVER go back to a gas truck after this one.

A V10 would have no problem hauling either, just don't pass too many gas stations.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:14 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
From a pure cost perspective (oil changes, mods, air filters, etc.), get the gas engine. You live at sea level, so the turbo isn't really needed. If you want something more interesting, get a 7.3. I will not kid myself that my diesel is cheaper (it isn't), but I just flat had a hankering for a turbo-diesel 'anything'. There: it's all emotional! The startup rasp of the 7.3 is just music to my ears.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:44 PM
maverick22
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ToMang07
Who is registering? You work on a farm.... farm has farm equipment.... bet it has Farm-Diesel!
Sure he can burn the off road fuel, but if he gets caught doing it on the road, he's going to get a hefty fine. Is it worth the risk? It doesn't take much dyed fuel to "contaminate" the on road stuff either.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:44 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah dyed fuel in any vehicle is at least a $10K fine, you can still get green diesel and then file paperwork to get reimbursed for a percentage of the tax you paid on the highway diesel, and gas for that matter.

Anyway mileage I've driven 7.3L, 6.0L and 6.4L pretty extensively all 3 were 4wds 7.3L was a CC the other two ext. cabs.
7.3L 15-17mpg
6.0L 13-16mpg (hit 17mpg once during a long highway trip)
6.4L 11-15mpg (hit 15mpg once usually gets 12-14)
All of the above was not towing, 7.3L got pretty much the same towing the 6.0L and 6.4L would dip to 10 and even 9mpg with the 6.4L.

Only 5.4L I have driven is in my F150 and it got 13mpg bone stock but is a 4wd and NPI.

Quick Reply: Gas VS Diesel