1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1970 F-100 father/son project

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:38 PM
trapperjack
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1970 F-100 father/son project

I've had several 67-72 Ford trucks through the years, all 4x4 and all mostly stock. Had a 69 crew cab 4x4 for a while, man I miss that one. I've been working on a 68 Chevy panel wagon and 67 Chevy K20 lately. My son has been wanting one to work on and get ready to be his first truck. Found a 70 F-100 that looks like just the thing. 3-on-the-tree, 302, and fairly straight body. You know the story, was running when parked a year ago. Brought it home yesterday. like I say, most of my trucks have been bone stock or close to it. I'm not a holley carb fan and know nothing about them. This 302 has a huge Holley on it, I'm just going to guess is a double pumper.....the fuel line splits before the carb and goes in 2 places. Sounds like a bit much for a 302?
P.O. said that it ran, but gas ran out of the carb....and when changing the oil today, lots of gas in the oil. Can anyone recomend a basic 4 barrel carb for a 302. I have an edelbrock 1405 sitting on the bench I was going to use on my 68 Chevy panel at some point. Looks like it should work. I'd like to see some photos of some stock or mild 4 barrel set-ups.
And, how do you post photos here in a thread. Some places you do it right off your computer, some you go to photobucket....just not familiar with the system here.
sorry, long intro. If you made it this far, thanks.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:01 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Congrats on your project. Sounds like fun.

Yep, that's a dual feed, double-pumper and on a truck is overkill since these aren't revvers. The 1405 is 600 cfm, vacuum secondaries, square bore, and manual choke. I say plug and play the 1405. My favorite carb is an Autolite 4100.. dead nuts reliable and easy to adjust, rebuild, and troubleshoot.

Posting pics.. I upload images to Tinypic.com and then copy the HTML code assigned to the image and paste it into my post. It also has a tool to automatically adjust the size and resolution. Some peeps post HUGE pics in here and is kinda annoying but it is what it is..... Set up and account... it's free and easy to use.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:13 AM
trapperjack
Senior User
I think I'll try that 1405. Here's a photo, if I do it right.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:16 AM
trapperjack
Senior User
It worked.....so a couple more. We need to find a seat (will newer seats fit without too much fuss?), a dash pad, and a gauge cluster cover. The cluster cover is yellowed to the point that you can't see anything through it.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:28 PM
limegoldf100
Senior User
Seats through 96 can be used by changing the tracks.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:35 PM
MrMajestyk
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Great find & pictures there trapperjack

Looks like my F-250's brother

I had the same issues with my gauge cluster, picked one
up from LMC for like $20.00 and lot's of other stuff

LMC Truck Parts - Page 79

Old 07-13-2011, 06:07 PM
trapperjack
Senior User
Originally Posted by limegoldf100
Seats through 96 can be used by changing the tracks.
Excellent. I was hoping it would work that way. thanks.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:12 PM
trapperjack
Senior User
Originally Posted by MrMajestyk
Great find & pictures there trapperjack

Looks like my F-250's brother

I had the same issues with my gauge cluster, picked one
up from LMC for like $20.00 and lot's of other stuff

LMC Truck Parts - Page 79
Great info, and yours looks great. Tried taking the cluster off. Do the wiring harnesses at the back pull off, or is there a clip holding them on?
Thanks.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:04 PM
trapperjackson
New User
Hello, everyone

Hello, I am the "son" in father/son project, and have some pictures of my own. Thanks for your support and bear with me as my "s" key on my keyboard is really messing me up.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:09 PM
trapperjack
Senior User
We got the double-pumper off. Had a thick cardboard type spacer/gasket under it. We took it off, was compressed pretty bad, looked like a vac leak waiting to happen. The edelbrock looks to be new or remanned....the choke plate is still wired in a fixed position, and it all looks great. Looks like will need some jinking around to line stuff up, though, throttle rod, etc. Here's a couple pics, one of down the manifold, and one with the carb bolted down with a new rubber gasket that came with it.
What do ya'll think, how to re-do throttle rod? Intake looks clean inside, what intake is it? I tried the edelbrock chrome air cleaner, but won't go all the way down, coil seems to be in the way. Who has an edelbrock on a 302? Would this be a better question for a different section?
Thanks ya'll.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:09 PM
trapperjackson
New User
Oops!

My picture below shows the throttle rod, we need to somehow turn it on the other side and move it to the right about 1/2 of an inch. Any suggestions?

Old 07-13-2011, 08:21 PM
trapperjackson
New User
Test

A bit small. But I think it should be good enough.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:13 PM
MrMajestyk
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by trapperjack
Great info, and yours looks great. Tried taking the cluster off. Do the wiring harnesses at the back pull off, or is there a clip holding them on?
Thanks.
Yep, there is a clip and take your time they tend to be a bit brittle

Old 07-13-2011, 10:15 PM
MrMajestyk
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by trapperjackson
Hello, I am the "son" in father/son project, and have some pictures of my own. Thanks for your support and bear with me as my "s" key on my keyboard is really messing me up.
Welcome trapperjackson

Old 07-14-2011, 09:19 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Throttle rod.. flip it to the others side of the bell crank at the firewall and/or bend and "S" into it. Be mindful of the clip as it has a tendency to fall off and into the naryest of places.

That's a Weiand intake. PN ? Who knows but there should be a PN cast into it.

Instrument cluster.. disconnect the speedo cable, the eight or so screws along the face and gently pull it forward. IIRC, there is a clipped plug behind the right side that feeds/receives the signals.Squeeze its ears and it should disconnect.

Say, I'm trying to size some wheels and tires for my 70 and those fit the wheel wells just right and I think would look awesome when my rig gets a 3"/4" drop with DJM beams and a shackle flip.. What size tires are those? I like the wheels too.... any idea what they came off of??

Here is what I am starting with:

Quick Reply: 1970 F-100 father/son project