Droopy the Plow Truck gets a Cummins 4BTA.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 08:29 PM
LOP223
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep up the good work! The snow will be flying soon. Have some in the hills above us now.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:06 AM
DarrinGT
Senior User
Originally Posted by LOP223
Keep up the good work! The snow will be flying soon. Have some in the hills above us now.
No Doubt, the Pressure is on!

While I am waiting on some parts for the Injection Pump, I decided to work on the fuel system:

I removed the front tank, and the front filler neck and replaced them with a nicer Diesel tank that I had in stock, and a diesel fill neck. While I am at it I decided to to the Filler Neck Mod as well.

New Tank ready to go in:

Modified the front sender, removed the electric pump, replaced it with submersible Fuel line (that craps expensive!) and reinstalled the filter sock on the bottom.

New Fuel Lines, and modified Air Vent:

Here is the fill neck hogged out so I can use the trucker pumps for faster fillups.

I installed 2 barbs, The top one is for the new tank Vent..The rear tank will keep the in tank fuel pump I will use it as a transfer tank for the front so the lower one will be for the rear tank to transfer to the front.

I got all new steel brake line to use for fuel line from the rubber lines form the tank to the motor.

Hope to have the fuel lines and tank installed today.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:24 AM
smitty3215
Junior User
Just a word of advice when i did my swap to my superduty i left the sock on and had nothing but troubles. In the winter it would collect the little bit of water in the fuel a freeze and i was stranded a few times got rid of it no more problems.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:40 PM
LOP223
Senior User
Yeah that submersible stuff is like gold! I only needed a couple inches, but they would only sell by the foot. seems like it was $20 or so per foot. I took a piece of the stainless fuel pipe left when I removed all the gas plumbing and made an in-tank tube that I cut at a 45 at the end. Then I drilled a slightly smaller hole in my fuel pump cup and set the pipe into it down to the bottom. I joined the tube to the fuel tank lid with a small piece of the submersible hose. So far so good. I also removed the fuel neck and knocked out the restrictor plate. It supposed to be 15 degress tonight, maybe I should plug in. Probably wont. Want to test the cold start. Dont have the intake heater grids hooked up yet. We'll see how it does.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:16 AM
DarrinGT
Senior User
Originally Posted by smitty3215
Just a word of advice when i did my swap to my superduty i left the sock on and had nothing but troubles. In the winter it would collect the little bit of water in the fuel a freeze and i was stranded a few times got rid of it no more problems.
Thanks for the heads up, We have not had any problems with water in fuel here for a long time, and we have done this on a few trucks so Ill keep it on and hope that I don't have a problem with this one either. Hopefully yo wont have to say I told ya so,..

Yeah that submersible stuff is like gold! I only needed a couple inches, but they would only sell by the foot. seems like it was $20 or so per foot. I took a piece of the stainless fuel pipe left when I removed all the gas plumbing and made an in-tank tube that I cut at a 45 at the end. Then I drilled a slightly smaller hole in my fuel pump cup and set the pipe into it down to the bottom. I joined the tube to the fuel tank lid with a small piece of the submersible hose. So far so good. I also removed the fuel neck and knocked out the restrictor plate. It supposed to be 15 degress tonight, maybe I should plug in. Probably wont. Want to test the cold start. Dont have the intake heater grids hooked up yet. We'll see how it does.
Yup,.. Same here I only need bout 6", and had to buy a foot from my NAPA account was $26.00! wow,,...Anyone need a 6" piece, Give ya good deal on it,..

Old 10-27-2011, 10:17 AM
DarrinGT
Senior User
Got the Fuel tank installed, and the rear tank is plumbed into the filler neck of the front tank for to be used as a transfer tank.
The fuel lines are run to the front of the truck ready to be hooked up:

Had to remove the catyletic converter heat shield from the bottom of the cab and make room for the downpipe, Should fit now,...

Today is Gauges Day, I would like to get them all installed and ready to hook up when I drop in the motor.

The Pillar Pod will be Oil Pressure, Water Temp and Volts:

The Dash Pod will be Boost, EGT, and Oil Temp. Same setup as Big Ed, but with engine oil temp instead of Auto Trans Temp:

Waiting for Napa to deliver the Duplicolor Blue vinyl paint for the pods,..

Old 10-27-2011, 04:18 PM
DarrinGT
Senior User
Update for today,.

Got the Pillar and Dash Pods painted, installed and wired the gauges, and installed the pods:

Painting the pods:

Dash Pod Installed:

Pillar Pod Installed:

Thats it for today,...

Old 10-30-2011, 09:32 AM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
Subscribing for ideas if/when I ever find a 4bt for my truck..

Old 10-30-2011, 12:04 PM
DarrinGT
Senior User
Updates,

I had a leaky return line that runs to the pump, I had to take it off and found a hole in it. Think I bent it too far messing with the pump and it was weak anyway. Went to Cummins and have a new one coming in on Monday.

New starter bolts, redo the starter holes with new heli coils so that is done, starter is reinstalled. also got the band clamp for the downpipe.

Thats it for updates, next progress will be on Tuesday.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:29 PM
burnout400m
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
subscribing because this is cool even though I'll probably just buy a truck with a 7.3l if I ever go diesel.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:48 PM
DarrinGT
Senior User
MOTOR IS IN! and bolted to the trans!

More info and pics tomorrow!

YE HAW!!!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:52 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
Congrats! (We fully expect a video of it running)

Old 11-03-2011, 08:22 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrinGT
MOTOR IS IN! and bolted to the trans!

More info and pics tomorrow!

YE HAW!!!
YE HAW is right!

Can't wait to see/hear it

Old 11-03-2011, 10:47 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
GO DROPPY! GO!
Jim & fat Monty

Old 11-04-2011, 07:35 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Who's "droppy"?

Quick Reply: Droopy the Plow Truck gets a Cummins 4BTA.