Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I'm gonna be sick

Old 07-12-2011, 08:49 PM
fordsforme!
Junior User
Originally Posted by turbohunter
I think I'm gonna be sick
i almost done this to my 53 . thought about sub framing it with a 350 but i found the kit to adapt the 302 so i went that route boy that was a close one i traded for a 78 camero to do it with and everything. MY OL MAN TALKED ME OUT OF IT

Old 07-12-2011, 08:58 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fordsforme!
i almost done this to my 53 . thought about sub framing it with a 350 but i found the kit to adapt the 302 so i went that route boy that was a close one i traded for a 78 camero to do it with and everything. MY OL MAN TALKED ME OUT OF IT
Your dad is a smart guy.
Liking Chebbies is one thing, but cross breeding the heart is a crime against all mankind.
Just my humble opinion.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:47 AM
fordsforme!
Junior User
Your dad is a smart guy.
Liking Chebbies is one thing, but cross breeding the heart is a crime against all mankind.
Just my humble opinion.
well i get it but i was looking for power steering front disc and with the 350 i can go to any parts house and get what i need . at the time all i had was a 57 model 272y block and a fresh 355 chevy which would make more since for a daily driver.i like ford and chevy both not to crazy about mixing them either but they do turn out nice .glad i decided to keep it all ford to. thanks dad

Old 07-13-2011, 09:10 AM
mark63uni
Junior User
I get maybe throwing a 9 inch in where it doesnt belong, or a front end.. but yeah.. the motor?? I've always been against that, and I'll drive anything, I've had a nova, a 69 dodge van, a 65 Olds... Just keep the motors were they belong. I have a friend that's putting a 350 in an 88 Mustang. WHY?????? He wont even come near me now lol

Old 07-13-2011, 09:39 AM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Exactly.
I personally don't mind using parts that may do a better job. And even at that, I understand a person that would not ever interchange any parts. I have to respect that, as it takes more research and maybe more ingenuity to pull off sometimes.
But for christmas sake if you want GM, get one.
But wait............ since we are on the subject, is it Ok to swap a Cummins into a Ford. I know this, if not a common swap (at least by numbers), is a desirable swap?
I have to admit it kinda lights my fire.
So are we full of crap with the Ford vs Chevy thing?
I still can't see it.
Comments?

Old 07-13-2011, 02:20 PM
fordsforme!
Junior User
im on the fence but i see both sides of it , kinda splitting hairs here but in my case i had a fresh 350 with nothing to put it in and a f-100 with a outdated y block motor.well i drug out an old 302 roller motor i had and had it freshed up im building it now as we speak for the truck. a guy up the road from me has a 34 ford coupe with a monster ground shaking 350 in it .scary fast and reliable. hey guys i have been around fords all my life and chevy here the last few years there both made in america and reliable.thats what really matters what even worse is seeing people put nissan and toyota engines in mustangs for drifting now thats a little worse i think.not arguing guys i see both sides. sb chevys make more power than sb fords with less damage on your wallet . but what am i talking about im ford guy u should see me garage at home . also u hardly ever see a chevy car or truck with ford engines in them cause parts dont interchange as easy and ford are more expensive to build and i hate to say it most of the ford engines dont make alot of power without dumping a ton of money into them. ahhh anyway to each is his own i guess

Old 07-13-2011, 10:57 PM
429unibody
Elder User
Did you see the episode of Pinks all Out where the guy had a nice 70's Camaro with a 460 in it ,it was fast!

Old 07-13-2011, 11:39 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fordsforme!
also u hardly ever see a chevy car or truck with ford engines in them cause parts dont interchange as easy and ford are more expensive to build and i hate to say it most of the ford engines dont make alot of power without dumping a ton of money into them. ahhh anyway to each is his own i guess
Ok, we're not arguing just discussing.
I believe you stepped in it with this thought.
I think its just that folks have been conditioned to think that way.
Are you saying that a 351 has less potential than a 350?
Or a 289 has less than a 283.
I think 327s were damn good engines, and I think that's where the ideas came from that Chevys make better hp cheaper. Because there are tons of them out there. And in the beginning they may have hit it with a modern engine before Ford (arguably).
But once the mid '60s rolled around it was up and down for both.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:12 AM
fordsforme!
Junior User
Ok, we're not arguing just discussing.
I believe you stepped in it with this thought.
I think its just that folks have been conditioned to think that way.
Are you saying that a 351 has less potential than a 350?
Or a 289 has less than a 283.
I think 327s were damn good engines, and I think that's where the ideas came from that Chevys make better hp cheaper. Because there are tons of them out there. And in the beginning they may have hit it with a modern engine before Ford (arguably).
But once the mid '60s rolled around it was up and down for both.
i agree with u but depending on the year stock engines 350 vs 351 the 350's seem to have more power from the factory im just saying im not defending either of them cause i love american made v8's all of them nothing better.and i have 6 or 7 ford's and one 350 that came in a truck that i bought for work. i pulled the motor cause the truck was ruff but the engine is a new 355 30 over but otherwise stock with a new 600 edlebrock and its pretty peppy considering .they take less to make alot of power.thats all i have been saying no trouble man .hey i would even drive a dodge . i dont do the ford vs chevy vs ford thing anymore cause i appericate all american muscle ..i have a 53 dodge half ton a 50 chevy half ton and a 53 ford half ton that im building now. i like them all.i dont think there would ever be a agreement on who makes better engines cause most people are too one sided about this subject i think there all great but you have to admit that fords are harder to build cause most parts wont interchange . always have been . i will use the 350 in the 50 chevy and more than likely a 350 and a s-10 frame for the dodge cause u just cant find or afford the parts for them. sorry for talking so much no harm meant here

Old 07-14-2011, 06:46 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
All good bro

Old 07-16-2011, 12:37 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,268 Likes on 1,073 Posts
I have no objection to using a Camaro front sub frame and BB Chevy in a Unibody once you've gone as far with tubs and all as he has. I could own it. I'ld likely someday swap in a 454 or maybe big Merlin though, with a mild cam and a quartet of Cadilac mufflers and 4 tail pipes.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:01 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
My only thing is, why wouldn't you start with a Bowtie.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:27 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,268 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Well, another way to look at it is .... he did start with a Bowtie.

He just discarded 80% of the Camaro and grafted a beautiful F-100 Unibody on in place?

There is so much out there for BB and SB Chevies, and a lot of cheaper parts, and some guys just find it easier to go that route. Fords have so many engine families and each differs somewhat that many find that just selecting and building Ford engines a daunting process. In my younger days, I wouldn't have hesityated in using a Chevy engine in a Ford body, older I get the more I like the idea of keeping Ford mtrs in Fords.

But I still would love to own a nice 49-50 "Fordilac" ...
... that's a 49-50 Ford Club Coupe with a mildly warmed over mid '50s 365 cu in Cadilac OHV V-8 and a set of 4 or maybe 6 Stromberg 97s .... or just a single 4bbl. I could "dig it".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: That poor truck!!!