Heater Control Valve Question - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion SPONSORED BY:

Heater Control Valve Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Posting Guru

jasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to behold
Heater Control Valve Question

YES, I know it's summer but, still...

While diagnosing a problem with my rear AC not working, I pulled the rear plenum apart. I noticed the rear heater coil was really hot even though I did not turn the heat on at all that day.

I suspect a bad heater control valve. The one that stops hot coolant from going to the core when the AC is on. I have manual temp controls so I assumen it is vacuum controlled. Alldata does not give me a loction or vacuum routing specs for the valve so I am asking here.

1) Where do I find the heater control valve? Anyone have a picture?
2) Does it shut off the coolant to both the front and rear heater cores or just the front?

Thanks!

Last edited by jasonodsky; 07-11-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: add header
Old 07-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Postmaster

william_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputation
If you have a heater control valve, you should be able to find it fairly easily in the engine compartment. Trace your heater hoses, and look for the valve. The vacuum line may have come off of it, causing your hot coil issue. One valve should shut off the flow from both front, and rear coils.

My 04 is a diesel and the valve is on the passenger side of the engine compartment, back towards the firewall, with a small grey vacuum line attached to it.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:07 PM
FTE SoCal Chapter LDR

wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
Jason, check on the passenger side. I used this to fix my 'no heat' situation, but I never did check the rear heat (just camping gear back there and it doesn't complain)
Disconnect the hoses gently else get coolant everywhere and down those cops!
Sean

While you're in there scraping knuckles clean up the PCV - (pic 3 stinkin' coolant everywhere.)
Attached Images

Join the So Cal chapter here
Be Like Steve
Old 07-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Elder User

jdw1 has a great reputation on FTE.jdw1 has a great reputation on FTE.jdw1 has a great reputation on FTE.jdw1 has a great reputation on FTE.
What exactly do you do there?

THE BITTER TASTE OF POOR QUALITY LINGERS LONG AFTER THE SWEET TASTE OF LOW PRICE IS FORGOTTEN!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Postmaster

william_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpnaes View Post
Jason, check on the passenger side. I used this to fix my 'no heat' situation, but I never did check the rear heat (just camping gear back there and it doesn't complain)
Sean

While you're in there scraping knuckles clean up the PCV - (pic 3 stinkin' coolant everywhere.)
I'm guessing you're in Anaheim, Sean.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:22 PM
FTE SoCal Chapter LDR

wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw1 View Post
What exactly do you do there?

Veggies at work, but prefer camping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_04_x View Post
I'm guessing you're in Anaheim, Sean.

Live in Camarillo, check Trey's map (So Calif Chapter).

Be Like Steve
Old 07-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Live in Camarillo, check Trey's map (So Calif Chapter).
I was thinking "Where in So C"......

Nevermind.

Great post and pics
Old 07-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Posting Guru

jasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Sean and william_04_x. It was really obvious to find once I looked . My '04 has the electrically heated PCV so there is no heater line going to it. I just replaced the PCV last week.

The '04 in line valve is still vacuum acuated but there is actually an arm and diaphram I can watch actuate when I change from AC to heat. I moved it a couple of times manually and then tested it from the cabin switch. It moved as expected but since I disturbed it before checking it from the cabin, it could have been stuck.

I'll do some testing and check the temp of the line behind the valve to see if it is getting hot and possibly leaking past the valve. I'll also clamp the hose and see if that changes things. I'll try to post a pic of the '04 version of the valve later today.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:37 PM
New User

WeldWerx is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Sean

So does the flap stop the coolant from going out the bottom of the fitting? Trying to figure out which line to put a shut off valve in...and yes I've searched and searched so this is a last resort. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:45 PM
FTE SoCal Chapter LDR

My guess is the bottom hose goes to the rear heater in the Ex. The upper left
one goes to the front passenger heater. I've never investigated this though. The one valve controls both heaters.

I was replacing this valve yearly with cheap parts; since I used a Ford part, haven't had any issue for a couple of years.

Be Like Steve
Old 07-09-2016, 10:38 AM
New User

Quote:
My guess is the bottom hose goes to the rear heater in the Ex. The upper left
one goes to the front passenger heater. I've never investigated this though. The one valve controls both heaters.

I was replacing this valve yearly with cheap parts; since I used a Ford part, haven't had any issue for a couple of years.
i could probably replace mine, but my ac isn't too cold, I was just hoping if I cut the coolant off to the front heater core it would improve a bit, I just don't want to put a manual valve on the wrong line.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:59 PM
Elder User

Vwags is a splendid one to beholdVwags is a splendid one to beholdVwags is a splendid one to beholdVwags is a splendid one to beholdVwags is a splendid one to beholdVwags is a splendid one to beholdVwags is a splendid one to beholdVwags is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeldWerx View Post
i could probably replace mine, but my ac isn't too cold, I was just hoping if I cut the coolant off to the front heater core it would improve a bit, I just don't want to put a manual valve on the wrong line.
I went/am going through this very thing. It drives me crazy that the vehicle just doesn't seem get that cool. Then the other night we were driving home at about dusk, it was still about 95 outside and I noticed the ac seemed cooler. I think we have so much surface area that the sun has a huge advantage. Now I am thinking about ceramic window tint again.

2013 Keystone Springdale 282BHHS
Old 07-09-2016, 01:37 PM
FTE SoCal Chapter LDR

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...l#post15048442

Give your fan clutch a check, if it's not working on a hot day, that a/c will never be cold.

Be Like Steve
Old 07-09-2016, 02:33 PM
Frequent Fueler

05MilMachine has much to be proud of05MilMachine has much to be proud of05MilMachine has much to be proud of05MilMachine has much to be proud of05MilMachine has much to be proud of05MilMachine has much to be proud of05MilMachine has much to be proud of05MilMachine has much to be proud of05MilMachine has much to be proud of05MilMachine has much to be proud of
The heater control valve only gets vac when on "MAX A/C" any other settings it opens up. My black truck in the Texas heat takes quite a while to cool down if I don't crack the windows while parked. After a few miles on the freeway though, its blowing nice cold air. I think its just the size of the greenhouse we drive around.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:49 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vwags View Post
I went/am going through this very thing. It drives me crazy that the vehicle just doesn't seem get that cool. Then the other night we were driving home at about dusk, it was still about 95 outside and I noticed the ac seemed cooler. I think we have so much surface area that the sun has a huge advantage. Now I am thinking about ceramic window tint again.
mine is need of a re-tint, but I've popped the heater core box open when on max ac and that ting is red hot so I just want to keep the air blowing through the vents from starting at a 190-200* disadvantage.