Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Senior User

jjoyce11 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4hunter05 View Post
Im not sure yet, i was thinking about a 4 inch lift, but I would also like to be able to switch out to my stock wheels and tires as well, plus I can't get over how well the truck rides right now, I have been in some lifted trucks and the ride usually is worse than the stock setup. I'm not sure yet.... I think I'm going to put some fender flares on it first. I will probably be doing a bit of towing with it as well. I have heard alot of people say everything but a true suspension lift changes the factory angles, what would that change as to wear and tear on the steering and handling?
take a look at Drew's post on page 5. he found a lift that allows the factory wheels and such to be used until bigger tires and wheels are bought. I don't know the answer directly to your question about wear and tear but I know in general anytime you make adjustments, as we are talking about, it will wear on everything quicker than if it were stock. I do know that a suspension lift is better for a truck and more durable. I am assuming that you will be using it here in CO for off roading and such. From all the knowledge I have gathered and the advice that has been thrown my way, a suspension is the best and safest way to go. if the lift was for looks only and the truck wasn't going to be thrown around on the dirt roads and such then a body lift could be considered. it really comes down to how rough you plan to be with the truck. I hope this helps...
Old 08-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Postmaster

Coskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoyce11 View Post
good find, I will be looking into it. What are your other top picks for brands in the lift? I was told to go with fabtech but I was just on their site and it looks as if they only have a 6'' lift. Also, what is the advantage to having new shocks in the front vs. using struts?

When it comes to 4" lift you are basically looking at Rough Country, Superlift, and Rancho. There are a few others but nothing I would go with. After that you have 6" kits and if you are going to that Fabtech or Procomp is the way to go. I do not know the real advantages to new front shocks vs. strut extensions. But I feel that a new shock will provide a much smoother ride then the stock ones with 4" blocks on top of that. The Rancho kit keeps the stock spring it just places the spring at a different point. Plus the Rancho front shock can actually start as a leveling kit. Has the ability to go from 0-4" of lift so it can be purchased ahead of the rest along with the rear shocks before buying the kit and make the change slowly as money allows. I am glad I found this kit because it has some nice perks to it and worth the money in my opinion.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:51 PM
New User

Fx4hunter05 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah that lift option is something I'm going to have to look into! Sounds like that would be right up my alley. I could install it in chunks and eventually getmy lift! I would really like to keep some highway wheels for when I pull the boat and most day to day driving, and when hunting season is on, break out some baja super claws.... When I get enough to drop the coin of course. Thanks for all the help!
Old 08-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Postmaster

Coskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to behold
Yeah this kit can start out very easily as a 2"-3" leveling front shock and go ahead and replace rear at the same time. Then a few months later or however long buy the rest of the kit and then its just a simple adjustment to move the shock up to 4" and install the rest of the kit. On F150online forums there is a guy who is installing this kit himself in his barn on blocks and jacks so it can be done at home for those who feel so inclined.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4hunter05 View Post
Yeah that lift option is something I'm going to have to look into! Sounds like that would be right up my alley. I could install it in chunks and eventually getmy lift! I would really like to keep some highway wheels for when I pull the boat and most day to day driving, and when hunting season is on, break out some baja super claws.... When I get enough to drop the coin of course. Thanks for all the help!

your very welcome, Im glad I could be of help. let me know if you have any other questions!
Old 08-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coskid View Post
Hey wanted to update this with something I recently found. I have been looking for a 4" lift for a while now and for some reason missed one important lift. The Rancho 4" lift. This kit requires you to by the shocks separately but has front shocks not strut extensions. Plus it has a 1 piece sub-frame and allows you to keep your stock wheels until you can afford new ones down the road. Every other kit I looked at had strut extensions for the front end which i was not crazy about for the full suspension lift.
i am really liking this kit a lot. question though, do the stock wheels work with the bigger tires, 33 and bigger, or will bigger wheels need to be purchased? Im pretty sure bigger wheels will need to bought but because its a "different" kind of lift maybe not.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Senior User

I got the lift kit!!!!!!! here is a comparison picture

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Postmaster

jthorngate3 is a splendid one to beholdjthorngate3 is a splendid one to beholdjthorngate3 is a splendid one to beholdjthorngate3 is a splendid one to beholdjthorngate3 is a splendid one to beholdjthorngate3 is a splendid one to beholdjthorngate3 is a splendid one to behold
42209261 Fordx4bronc3545
WOOOOO!!!!!
Gone but not forgotten: 86 F150 4x4 I6(offy DP, Holley 465cfm, EFI exhuast manifolds, walker y-pipe, ARP head studs, D.U.I. HEI distributor) C6-NP208F, 2 1/2" rough country lift, 32x11.5x15 Cooper Discoverer STT
Old 06-15-2013, 09:41 PM