Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Post Fiend

MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoyce11 View Post
Im not opposed necessarily but I just don't think putting a leveling kit on it is going to achieve the look I am wanting. If there wasn't safety, price, and all the other down falls to big lifts I would honestly get a 8 inch. BUT knowing that lifting the truck isn't necessarily the best for truck and really expensive and impossible to park in garages here in CO and such I am not going with the the 8 inch. I think the leveling kit would look nice however, I think I may be disappointed in it and then decide to raise it. at that rate, i would have waisted money leveling it and could have put it toward raising it. when I bought the truck I knew I wanted to lift it. I am going to research it a bit to see my option, im opened minded. there is a truck that often parks next to me at the station and he has a f150 as well and its leveled. When I first saw it i liked it but the more i have been researching lifts and I look at his I just dont think it will satisfy me. Believe me, I wish it did but as I always tell my friends, "go big or go home" if I were to put a leveled truck with 35 and a 4'' lifted with 35 side by side where am I going to see the biggest difference? the space between the tire and the truck right?
If you were to eye-ball it side by side, the 4" kit will have more tire clearance in the wheel wells, and the 4" kitted truck should be sitting 1-2" higher depending on the level kit the other truck had.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Postmaster

Coskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to behold
OK if you installed a 4" kit with 33" tires no you would not need to upgrade the gears in your truck. With 35's it would certainly help it and give back power that is being lost from pushing a larger tire.

Now on to the leveling kit. I installed one last year in my truck and for a while was happy with it. But was never in love with it I have realized now. So I plan to remove the leveling kit and put on a 4" lift kit.

I will be doing it in stages though. So in the next few weeks I will purchase some new wheels and have them installed. Then in a few months I will hopefully get the kit on right after the new year.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:26 AM
Posting Guru

shotgunz is a name known to allshotgunz is a name known to allshotgunz is a name known to allshotgunz is a name known to allshotgunz is a name known to allshotgunz is a name known to all
With 33s, and depending on your rear end gear:

if you have a 3.73 IMHO you will be fine

if you have a 3.55, you are right at the limit of needing to re-gear (I would just to help save the tranny)

if you have a 3.31, you need to re-gear

Regardless, you will need to re-program the PCM for the larger tires.

My fuel mileage: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/shotgun/f150
Old 07-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Senior User

jjoyce11 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coskid View Post
OK if you installed a 4" kit with 33" tires no you would not need to upgrade the gears in your truck. With 35's it would certainly help it and give back power that is being lost from pushing a larger tire.

Now on to the leveling kit. I installed one last year in my truck and for a while was happy with it. But was never in love with it I have realized now. So I plan to remove the leveling kit and put on a 4" lift kit.

I will be doing it in stages though. So in the next few weeks I will purchase some new wheels and have them installed. Then in a few months I will hopefully get the kit on right after the new year.
I will keep an eye out for the changes and hopefully it will help me decide on mine. I think I will feel the same way as you do. the level is nice, but not good enough. I am going to finish paying off the truck then invest in the lift/level
Old 07-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunz View Post
With 33s, and depending on your rear end gear:

if you have a 3.73 IMHO you will be fine

if you have a 3.55, you are right at the limit of needing to re-gear (I would just to help save the tranny)

if you have a 3.31, you need to re-gear

Regardless, you will need to re-program the PCM for the larger tires.
thanks for the info. ill have to do a little research, I just looked at the owners manual and I couldnt find what my IMHO is but I will definitely check it out. and yes, i can re-program the PCM myself with the help of a family friend.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Post Fiend

MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
IMHO = in my honest opinion
That won't be in the manual Jodi. Charlie meant to say that if you have a 3.73 gear (which you should if you have a true FX4) then you'll be ok, in his honest opinion.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
IMHO = in my honest opinion
That won't be in the manual Jodi. Charlie meant to say that if you have a 3.73 gear (which you should if you have a true FX4) then you'll be ok, in his honest opinion.
hahah got it. I thought there wasnt something right or I was just reading it wrong. I asked my dad and he had no idea either but thanks for the correction. yes mine is a true fx4 so yipeee im safe!!
Old 07-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Posting Guru

rockstate45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
3.73 will do just fine handling a 33. The gears in the transmission should make it just fine for handling a 35" too, but it'll be a little slower. Rotational mass is killer on things like this.

-rockstate
Ranch Hand Grille Guard,
BFG AT KO 285/65/r18

1998 Ford Expedition 5.4, 4x4
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...5/100_0870.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...h_100_1201.jpg
Old 07-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstate45 View Post
3.73 will do just fine handling a 33. The gears in the transmission should make it just fine for handling a 35" too, but it'll be a little slower. Rotational mass is killer on things like this.

-rockstate
well we all know i have learned a lot but im still need a bit of help! i understand that when you upgrade to bigger tires it takes longer to stop and to start as well as it slows the truck down in general when driving. What do you mean by rotational mass is killer on things like this? is it just the wear and tear on the truck from having to work harder to rotate the tires or is there more to it? thanks!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:12 AM
Posting Guru

rockstate45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well rotational mass is to some extent "heavier," or at least has more effect than static mass... in other words, 50 extra lbs in tires and wheels is going to act differently then 50 lbs in the bed of the truck.

Some new '11 TUndras have had problems with the steering rack blowing b/c the power steering pump surges and blows a seal at full lock in, typically, reverse. The fix? Put in a remann'd '07 pump. This happens on stock trucks as well. This is one example of where this extra weight doesn't act as your friend.

However, the Fords are pretty solid so as long as you're not constantly burning out you'll be just fine with getting this truck along. I've had heavy all terrains on myt ruck for 50k miles... and 13k miles of those being heavy, almost 35" tall all terrains. No biggie there.

Again, this is all my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

Why not make your truck into a baja truck? Do a long travel suspension or some mid range setup... upper control arms, shocks, etc...

-rockstate
Ranch Hand Grille Guard,
BFG AT KO 285/65/r18

1998 Ford Expedition 5.4, 4x4
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...5/100_0870.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...h_100_1201.jpg
Old 08-18-2011, 12:48 AM
New User

Fx4hunter05 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for posting this thread! I just bought an 05 fx4 with a short bed last week and was looking into a bunch of upgrades, one of the biggest would be a lift. All the info shared on this site is amazing! While looking for a truck I test drove a truck that had a 6" lift, or so the dealer said, and I loved how the truck looked, but they wanted way to much for it. Thank you guys and gals for your info on the subject
Old 08-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4hunter05 View Post
Thanks for posting this thread! I just bought an 05 fx4 with a short bed last week and was looking into a bunch of upgrades, one of the biggest would be a lift. All the info shared on this site is amazing! While looking for a truck I test drove a truck that had a 6" lift, or so the dealer said, and I loved how the truck looked, but they wanted way to much for it. Thank you guys and gals for your info on the subject
good decision on the truck choice, great minds think alike. anywho, im glad you found the thread useful. it has definitely helped me out a lot. I take it your going to do a 6'' lift?
Old 08-21-2011, 06:44 PM
New User

Fx4hunter05 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoyce11 View Post
good decision on the truck choice, great minds think alike. anywho, im glad you found the thread useful. it has definitely helped me out a lot. I take it your going to do a 6'' lift?
Im not sure yet, i was thinking about a 4 inch lift, but I would also like to be able to switch out to my stock wheels and tires as well, plus I can't get over how well the truck rides right now, I have been in some lifted trucks and the ride usually is worse than the stock setup. I'm not sure yet.... I think I'm going to put some fender flares on it first. I will probably be doing a bit of towing with it as well. I have heard alot of people say everything but a true suspension lift changes the factory angles, what would that change as to wear and tear on the steering and handling?
Old 08-22-2011, 08:19 AM
Postmaster

Coskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to behold
Hey wanted to update this with something I recently found. I have been looking for a 4" lift for a while now and for some reason missed one important lift. The Rancho 4" lift. This kit requires you to by the shocks separately but has front shocks not strut extensions. Plus it has a 1 piece sub-frame and allows you to keep your stock wheels until you can afford new ones down the road. Every other kit I looked at had strut extensions for the front end which i was not crazy about for the full suspension lift.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coskid View Post
Hey wanted to update this with something I recently found. I have been looking for a 4" lift for a while now and for some reason missed one important lift. The Rancho 4" lift. This kit requires you to by the shocks separately but has front shocks not strut extensions. Plus it has a 1 piece sub-frame and allows you to keep your stock wheels until you can afford new ones down the road. Every other kit I looked at had strut extensions for the front end which i was not crazy about for the full suspension lift.
good find, I will be looking into it. What are your other top picks for brands in the lift? I was told to go with fabtech but I was just on their site and it looks as if they only have a 6'' lift. Also, what is the advantage to having new shocks in the front vs. using struts?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:46 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150

Tags
2005, 2006, 97, f150, fi50, fit, ford, inch, kit, leveling, lift, sale, size, suspension, tires