Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Senior User

69ford99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 6" procomp lift with 35's. I didn't like the blocks they used to lift the back so I got some add a leafs from another company and it sits level. I had my stock wheels on for awhile I just couldn't turn the wheels all the way one way or the other. I love my lift and would have to say the only down side to a 6" lift is if you have to load/unload something heavy in the bed, it sucks. If you want to see a picture of my truck you can click on my name and go to my gallery. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Postmaster

Coskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to behold
That is why i am going with a 4" lift instead of the 6". I use my truck every day for work and often have the bed piled high with various tools and materials.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Senior User

jjoyce11 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
I run Michelins because I spend the majority of my time on the roadway with only limited time off road. So highway comfort and low noise was more important to me than looks or off road capability. My M/S2s are great tires, but are pavement biased.
The Nitto's are good tires. As well as the BFG K/O All Terrains. You might want to look into Toyo's as well.
There are not too many aftermarket plus sized tire makers, that's why you hear Nitto often. Plus their tires "look cool" as well as perform well, and sometimes people prefer a tire that looks better than others.
great info. I need tires that are going to perform the best of pavement(primarily) but also going to be good for some off roading. Like I have mentioned, I want to do some off roading but for now it will be minimal so I will focus on what will be best for pavement and down the road I can change them out. Thanks
Old 07-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ford99 View Post
I have a 6" procomp lift with 35's. I didn't like the blocks they used to lift the back so I got some add a leafs from another company and it sits level. I had my stock wheels on for awhile I just couldn't turn the wheels all the way one way or the other. I love my lift and would have to say the only down side to a 6" lift is if you have to load/unload something heavy in the bed, it sucks. If you want to see a picture of my truck you can click on my name and go to my gallery. Good luck.

I love love love your truck. I didnt really think about putting stuff in the bed so now I have some more pondering. I am going to be getting an ATV so I would think a 4 inch would be better for hauling my toys...
Old 07-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Post Fiend

MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
Here's what I would do in your situation:
4" kit
a 295 or 315 wide tire on 18" aftermarket wheels
An air bag helper kit in the rear for when you're loaded up with an ATV, etc.
Official Slackmaster #24
Old 07-26-2011, 11:08 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstate45 View Post
Dry rot is a good way to check it out, BUT not all tires show dry rot that are 6 years old (rare enough), but don't drive on or buy a set of tires that is even close to 6 years old (assuming you want to drive these things)

You're gonna be up in the 300 range for a 17" rim, and more for an 18". Check out discounttiredirect.com or tirerack.com for some ideas on prices. Then add tax, and a 50-100 Mount and balance fee.

That size Trail Grappler is awesome, BUT it'll fit with just a leveling kit - and look a bit small on a 6" lift. A 4" it'd look alright. (See my post on page 1 or 2... i have the Terras on just 2.5" lift on my truck).

Make sure you can use the factor wheels with whatever lift kit you're looking to run.

The M/S2s are legit. The KOs are great and the Nittos are a good cheaper alternative. They're a little bit louder IMO running down the highway but not annoyingly so. The Toyos would be high up on my list as well. Hard fought victory for the Nittos but it came down to sizing availability.

Sorry to kind of rain on your parade jjoyce but I don't want you to order these parts and find out you NEED wheels to drive away from the shop.

-rockstate
great information. I will definitly take it all into consideration. Thanks
Old 07-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coskid View Post
Jodi,

I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers on my truck and love them but the next time I get new tires I will be moving to the Trail Grappler just based on looks alone.

I have not seen any 6" lift kits that can keep stock wheels so might want to start looking at new wheels now too. Some 4" kits can do it but not many it is all based on the back spacing and the new geometry of the kit for the steering.

Depending on what kind of wheeling you are talking about is what I would base my decision on for the 4" or 6". 4" kits use strut extensions just like a leveling kit along with some other new equipment while most 6" kits use new struts and springs to get the lift they want. If you are going to do anything that is consider hard wheeling then I would jump to the 6" kit.

As far as 6" kits go I would recommend Fabtech or ProComp. Rough Country makes a nice kit but their 6" kit uses strut extensions which I just don't agree with for that much lift.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
thanks a ton! that has given me some good insight. Ill look into wheels but i think the 6 inch may be getting to expensive for me. ill keep you all posted!
Old 07-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthorngate3 View Post
If you are looking at any of those tires, might I suggest looking at the cooper tires. Cooper tires are made in the US, a nice bonus for me anyway. They have a very very similar tread pattern as the toyo's if you go with the cooper discoverer STT's. If you want something a little less aggressive, then you can do the cooper discoverer ST maxx's. Keep in mind that any of these "mud" tires are not going to last you as long, and it will be very important to keep them rotated to get the most out of them.

As far as the winter traction... There is pretty much no tire that you are looking at that is going to be "good" in the winter. An all-terrain tire will do much better. At that point you are looking at something like the bfg AT/KO's as mentioned before. Bfg's are also made in the good ol' US as well. The coopers and bfg's, I believe, have a 3-ply sidewall, which is going to stand up better when you go off-road. All of these tires you are looking at, however, are quite wide. Those are naturally not going to perform as well in the snow. With smart driving, you shouldn't have any problem with any of these tires.

An upside to getting new wheels with your new tires is being able to swap them for winter or summer driving. This also makes the tires last quite a bit longer. It is an added expense though, so obviously not an option for everybody. This will also be a little more of an option with the 4" lift. The stock wheels and tires won't look "as bad" with a 4 inch, but will look really out of place with the 6 inch.

Hopefully you were able to follow most of that.
yep, I was able to follow all of that. I will look into all of those brands and see what will fit my budget and work best for me. I do like the good ol' american made stuff, I mean thats why I drive a ford! As Toby Keith says,
"he ain't prejudice he's just, made in America".
Old 07-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Postmaster

Coskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to beholdCoskid is a splendid one to behold
I made a new thread about some wheels I am looking at that would be great on your truck too. They are a good quality wheel with an under $200 price tag which is what attracted me to them in the first place. Anyway wheels are all a personal choice really because it all comes down to taste but I would check out the Gear Alloy's as they are a decent wheel without some big name like Micky Thompson on it to raise the price. Now don't get me wrong the MT's are awesome and if they made them in 18" currently I would really consider them but when I went to my local tire guy he informed me they currently are not making them so you would have to find someone who has 18's in stock which is damn near impossible.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coskid View Post
I made a new thread about some wheels I am looking at that would be great on your truck too. They are a good quality wheel with an under $200 price tag which is what attracted me to them in the first place. Anyway wheels are all a personal choice really because it all comes down to taste but I would check out the Gear Alloy's as they are a decent wheel without some big name like Micky Thompson on it to raise the price. Now don't get me wrong the MT's are awesome and if they made them in 18" currently I would really consider them but when I went to my local tire guy he informed me they currently are not making them so you would have to find someone who has 18's in stock which is damn near impossible.
ok, ill keep an eye on it. thanks
Old 07-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunz View Post
If you want your truck to last, you REALLY need to change the gears (at 35" you should be looking for 4.56) and buy a tuner with custom tunes.
i have stopped at some shops and did some pricing and questioning with them. if i did a 4'' lift with 33 tires would a gear change be necessary or should I be fine?
Old 07-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Something else to consider that Rockstate hinted upon...your stock wheels might not have enough clearance/offest/etc to clear the new steering knuckle that will come with the kit. You'll need to ask your shop, or the manufacturer if the use of stock wheels will work. If not, then you have no choice but to poney up the $$$ on aftermarket wheels.
Don't be affraid of that though, LOTS of places online, and many shops, run wheel & tire packages that are mounted and balanced and shipped to your door for much less than buying wheels and tires apart.
i stopped in two shops yesterday and did some questioning about wheels and tires. my wheels will not work with the 4'' lift, I will have to buy new ones. how do you think it would look if I did a 4'' lift with 33 tires. they said it should look great but keep me away from the 35 tires and also save me bit of money and gas. they said it will give me the look of a 6'' with 35 but at shorter look, if you get what i am saying. whats your opinion?
Old 07-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Post Fiend

MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
Are you still opposed to the leveling kit?
The reason I ask is that for less than the cost of the lift alone (just the parts) you can level the truck, afford new tires (say a 295/70/18) on stock wheels, and do an air bag kit for when you are carrying loads.
From the sounds of it, you really just want the lift kit for the "look" whereas your potential off road use won't be limited by the leveling kit. You should be fine with the level and some meatier tires.

A really nice way of leveling would be the Bilstein 5100 leveling struts. 2.5" front lift, giving you the ability to run just under a 35" tire on stock wheels. Even if you wanted to go with aftermarket wheels, you'd still be spending a hell of a lot less than going with the full blown kit.
Official Slackmaster #24
Old 07-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Posting Guru

rockstate45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah I completely agree with MCDavis on this one. A leveling kit would be much more affordable, allow you to clear the same size tires (maybe not width), and save you massive amounts of money as well.

Pricing things for a leveling kit... 2.5":
~200 for Bilstein 5100s that level up to about 2.5"
~70 for a block
~35 for a differential drop (not sure if they're needed on an F150, but I did one on my Tundra)
~150-200 for LABOR and alignment (needed)
~1100-1500 for tires depending on brand.
~2000 total out the door

For a 4" lift that can clear the same size tires (or 35s..)
~1600 for parts
~750 for labor
~1100-1500 for tires
~800-1000 for wheels depending on what you can find, etc.
like 4500

Lots more haha.

In regards to 33 vs 35 debate... they both weigh more than stock, probably about double. In terms of fuel economy, the biggest thing is weight. 33s and 35s often weigh 10 lbs of each other, so you'll be getting the same economy between the two... just depends on your foot. In other words, buy what you want in terms of tires because fuel economy will be worse than stock, but it's not going to be twice as bad b/c you go from a 33 to a 35.

-rockstate
Ranch Hand Grille Guard,
BFG AT KO 285/65/r18

1998 Ford Expedition 5.4, 4x4
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...5/100_0870.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...h_100_1201.jpg
Old 07-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Are you still opposed to the leveling kit?
The reason I ask is that for less than the cost of the lift alone (just the parts) you can level the truck, afford new tires (say a 295/70/18) on stock wheels, and do an air bag kit for when you are carrying loads.
From the sounds of it, you really just want the lift kit for the "look" whereas your potential off road use won't be limited by the leveling kit. You should be fine with the level and some meatier tires.

A really nice way of leveling would be the Bilstein 5100 leveling struts. 2.5" front lift, giving you the ability to run just under a 35" tire on stock wheels. Even if you wanted to go with aftermarket wheels, you'd still be spending a hell of a lot less than going with the full blown kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstate45 View Post
Yeah I completely agree with MCDavis on this one. A leveling kit would be much more affordable, allow you to clear the same size tires (maybe not width), and save you massive amounts of money as well.

Pricing things for a leveling kit... 2.5":
~200 for Bilstein 5100s that level up to about 2.5"
~70 for a block
~35 for a differential drop (not sure if they're needed on an F150, but I did one on my Tundra)
~150-200 for LABOR and alignment (needed)
~1100-1500 for tires depending on brand.
~2000 total out the door

For a 4" lift that can clear the same size tires (or 35s..)
~1600 for parts
~750 for labor
~1100-1500 for tires
~800-1000 for wheels depending on what you can find, etc.
like 4500

Lots more haha.

In regards to 33 vs 35 debate... they both weigh more than stock, probably about double. In terms of fuel economy, the biggest thing is weight. 33s and 35s often weigh 10 lbs of each other, so you'll be getting the same economy between the two... just depends on your foot. In other words, buy what you want in terms of tires because fuel economy will be worse than stock, but it's not going to be twice as bad b/c you go from a 33 to a 35.

-rockstate
Im not opposed necessarily but I just don't think putting a leveling kit on it is going to achieve the look I am wanting. If there wasn't safety, price, and all the other down falls to big lifts I would honestly get a 8 inch. BUT knowing that lifting the truck isn't necessarily the best for truck and really expensive and impossible to park in garages here in CO and such I am not going with the the 8 inch. I think the leveling kit would look nice however, I think I may be disappointed in it and then decide to raise it. at that rate, i would have waisted money leveling it and could have put it toward raising it. when I bought the truck I knew I wanted to lift it. I am going to research it a bit to see my option, im opened minded. there is a truck that often parks next to me at the station and he has a f150 as well and its leveled. When I first saw it i liked it but the more i have been researching lifts and I look at his I just dont think it will satisfy me. Believe me, I wish it did but as I always tell my friends, "go big or go home" if I were to put a leveled truck with 35 and a 4'' lifted with 35 side by side where am I going to see the biggest difference? the space between the tire and the truck right?
Old 07-28-2011, 07:42 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150

Tags
2005, 2006, 97, f150, fi50, fit, ford, inch, kit, leveling, lift, sale, size, suspension, tires