Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In-Dash Nav/Bluetooth? Sony XNV-770BT?

Old 07-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In-Dash Nav/Bluetooth? Sony XNV-770BT?

I have an "older" nav system in my Excursion--Pioneer AVIC D2. To be honest, I am pretty tired of the thing. It was new in 2006 and cannot be upgraded to include bluetooth and is very hard to use as a radio tuner.

On our last cross-country tow with the Excursion, we took an extra nav system--a portable TomTom XXL. Great little unit with better turn-by-turn instructions (important with a big trailer). It is also possible to upgrade the maps online.

My wife has an Acura MDX with nav. This also has built-in bluetooth capability and is a nice way to do "hands free" phone call answers.

In short, I want to replace the AVIC D2 with something newer/better. I like TomTom software and I really want bluetooth capability. I also want something where the radio controls are easy to use.

When I look through the Crutchfield catalog, I like what I see (except price) for the Sony XNV-770BT. Crutchfield is also offering a free rear view camera with this. Does anyone have experience with this nav receiver or similar models?

Advice appreciated.

Last edited by Forest; 07-11-2011 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Pioneer, not Panasonic
Old 07-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Shepherd2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a used Kenwood DNX5140 off ebay for $240 that is an excellent unit. I think they were around $800 brand new but I just cant get myself to spend that kind of money on a radio. Fast start up, dont need a disc for the gps which is Garmin. Install was a bit of a pain cause of the Ex's weird radio size. Added a $35 camera off ebay and I'm set. If you wait till the new models come out you can usually save quite a bit on the previous models.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Shepherd2
I got a used Kenwood DNX5140 off ebay for $240 that is an excellent unit. I think they were around $800 brand new but I just cant get myself to spend that kind of money on a radio. Fast start up, dont need a disc for the gps which is Garmin. Install was a bit of a pain cause of the Ex's weird radio size. Added a $35 camera off ebay and I'm set. If you wait till the new models come out you can usually save quite a bit on the previous models.
Does yours have bluetooth?

Old 07-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Shepherd2
Elder User
It's bluetooth ready which means you have to get the optional b/t module. The next model up, the 6140 has it built in Kenwood - DNX6140

Kenwood DNX6140 Automotive GPS Receiver | eBay

Old 07-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
It's bluetooth ready which means you have to get the optional b/t module. The next model up, the 6140 has it built in Kenwood - DNX6140

Kenwood DNX6140 Automotive GPS Receiver | eBay
On your Kenwood, where did you put the GPS antennae? Front of roof or rear near the hatch? I presently have my Pioneer antennae in the rear near the hatch (passenger side). This took every inch of the cable length to be possible.

I am now only seeing the 6180 for sale, but it looks like a very nice system.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:44 AM
Shepherd2
Elder User
I originally had a D3 and placed it at the rear of the roof and ran the antenna and camera wiring along the headliner. With the Kenwood I mounted the antenna on the center of the dash. I like this unit cause it still has a volume **** .

Old 07-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Forest
Posting Guru
I originally had a D3 and placed it at the rear of the roof and ran the antenna and camera wiring along the headliner. With the Kenwood I mounted the antenna on the center of the dash. I like this unit cause it still has a volume **** .
So, I'm guessing that the Kenwood antenna cable was too short to reach the back through the headliner? Or is the GPS antenna on the dash preferable?

P.S. I prefer ***** for volume, too!

Last edited by Forest; 07-12-2011 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Comment
Old 07-12-2011, 09:52 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
How recent are the map updates ?

MY Garmin's can be updated up to 4 times per year.... whereas the built in EXPENSIVE NAV on the wife's new audi seems to have maps that are at least 3 years old !!!

Old 07-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Shepherd2
Elder User
The Kenwoods antenna would have reached the back but the instructions say to install it inside the car. Never had a problem losing the signal. I think the first few updates are free but after that you have to pay for them.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:30 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I ended up getting the kenwood DNX7160 off eBay for 800. Has all the bells and whistles, bluetooth, nav, etc. I added a cheap rear cam of eBay, $20 and everything works nicely. I put the gps antenea up under the hood on the side just behind where the rubber adjust for the hood is(the big rubber adjust ****) and have had no connect issues. That is last yrs model, so will have gone down again in price since I bought in Jan.