Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2011, 06:29 PM
New User

MontanaBighorn is starting off with a positive reputation.
rear a/c warm

2005 X limited, 84000 miles V10. bought the X a month or so ago for $18,000 OTD. everything is beautiful except that the rear A/C is warm. i work in commercial refrigeration so i should be able to handle the repairs myself, but i dont know how the system is designed to work. is there a solenoid in the line-set leading to the rear vents and if so, where is it hidden? i havent even begun to try to diagnose anything yet; i want to get the system specifics first.
thanks,
Old 07-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Elder User

6686L is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaBighorn View Post
. . . . the rear A/C is warm. i work in commercial refrigeration so i should be able to handle the repairs myself, but i dont know how the system is designed to work.

= = =

Your honesty MAY get you on the right track = Late news flash. Your FORD/s A/C system has little relationship to the typical commercial system!

It is a computer-controlled NIGHTMARE. During assembly, when the truck was wired, there is a bunch of wires underneath the right-hand rear window revel, that often has one or more "shorts" or "breaks" in it. You can start there.

If that dosnt disclose something obvious, STRONGLY recommend you find a COMPETENT Ford dealer and take it there. The system is not for the ordinary refrig. tech. (been there...done that....!)
Old 07-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Senior User

Shepherd2 has a good reputation on FTE.Shepherd2 has a good reputation on FTE.
A few people have had sucess replacing the TXV.

http://www.techchoiceparts.com/ShowI...#ItemNotes1Div
Old 07-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Senior User

2003u45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
in the rear a/c is an expansion valve that sticks. that is your problem, an inexpensivce fix. check it out. i just had thge same thing. my compressor took a crap. replaced and they blew out the front lines but not the rear. 2 weeks later rear quit. was ewxpansion valve. now I have another problem. requires a question to all..
2003 EB Excursion V-10 4x4 "Guzzler", Bilstiens, 18" LTX AT2's, Custom Y pipe, 5 Star Tuned with X3, Subwoofer under 2nd row, Valentine One, TomTom 730XL, Gibson Stainless Swept Side Exhaust, K & N FIPK, Signal Tow Mirrors, more coming...
2008 Salem 32 BHDS Travel Trailer, coming soon... 2 Horse Trailer
Old 07-12-2011, 12:17 PM
New User

thanks for all the responses. is there anything available online showing me the location of all the components at least?

6686L,
if i associate an unfamiliarity of system specifics with inability to repair equipment i would have been out of business looong ago. theres nothing complicated about it once you have the system specs, and over the years ive found that it will never get repaired if you dont start turning wrenches. besides, i would just feel dirty paying someone else to do what i do. ;-)
Old 07-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Post Fiend

cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaBighorn View Post
thanks for all the responses. is there anything available online showing me the location of all the components at least?

6686L,
if i associate an unfamiliarity of system specifics with inability to repair equipment i would have been out of business looong ago. theres nothing complicated about it once you have the system specs, and over the years ive found that it will never get repaired if you dont start turning wrenches. besides, i would just feel dirty paying someone else to do what i do. ;-)
I think you'll find everything after removing the rear panel, very basic systems!

BTW, I've worked on cascade refrigeration systems for over 20 years and know nothing is more basic than an AC system.
05 Excursion Limited V10, 4:30(C3) Limited Slip
01 Expy EB, 5.4, 3:55 Limited Slip, 2006 27' Outback T.T. 7000lbs-loaded
Old 07-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Senior User

fgials is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just replaced the expansion valve in mine and mine works Great! It is in the right rear panel behind the jack.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Senior User

Sader has a good reputation on FTE.Sader has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbradford View Post
I think you'll find everything after removing the rear panel, very basic systems!

BTW, I've worked on cascade refrigeration systems for over 20 years and know nothing is more basic than an AC system.

Amen to that!

Old 07-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Posting Guru

jasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to behold
The expansion valve is behind the jack door compartment. You have to pull the rear passenger panel enough to remove the black plastic compartment. It is right behind there, brass in color with two lines in and two lines out. Torque the lines to 15ftlbs. when you reinstall.

I believe the black plastic jack compartment is held in with one plastic rivet near the top front.

To get to it,
1) Pull out the rear seat.
2) Unscrew the floor mounting plate for the rear passenger seat belt (large torx bit)
3) Remove passenger panel from the rear.
(At this point, you should only have to peel the large rear panel away by about a foot if you are willing to work in a tight space, otherwise, remove the whole side panel.)
4) Remove plastic rivet and jack compartment

Napa and Orielley both list the part as order in...unless you have an Napa warehouse nearby. Rockauto has the valve the cheapest.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Elder User

6686L is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
[quote=MontanaBighorn;10565740] . . . . . theres nothing complicated about it once you have the system specs, . . . .

THAT'S THE PROBLEM. WHILE BASIC REFRIGERATION ISSUES CAN BE EASY TO REPAIR.....WITHOUT THE SPECS. AND ACCESS TO THE 'PROPRIETORY' PARTS...WELL.....!

i would just feel dirty paying someone else to do what i do. ;-)

BE ASSURED I KNOW THAT FEELING. I HAVE TWISTED A WRENCH OR TWO OVER THE YEARS MYSELF. (AND I TRULY HATE IT WHEN I RUN ACROSS A SYSTEM OBVIOUSLY DELIBERATELY DESIGNED TO TRY AND FORCE YOU TO GO TO A MFG'S REP / DEALER....!

Do you remembe a line from a Clint Eastwood movie..." MAN'S GOT TO KNOW HIS LIMITATIONS".....!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Senior User

Sader has a good reputation on FTE.Sader has a good reputation on FTE.
I think what MontanaBighorn is getting at is the A/C system on the excursion is a basic system, nothing special. The controls are the hard part. We field repair guys have to have the attitude we can and will fix anything, if we come across a new system, building, customer we have not seen before we cannot shy away from it just because of proprietary parts or controls. A human put it together and a human can figure it out.

Automotive A/C is less complicated then many items I or any other tech on this forum has probably experienced. Taking time to figure out Ford's system controls may be a hindrance but will be overcome.

Cheers
Old 07-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Posting Guru

Forest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to beholdForest is a splendid one to behold
Before you open up the R134 system to put in the new expansion valve, make 100% sure that the electric blend door motor is working. This relatively simple part was the reason that my rear heater quit working. Maybe your problem is the opposite(?) Maybe the blend door is "stuck" giving you heater core air in large enough quantity to make you think A/C is not working(?)

This motor and blend door will be readily visible once you remove the passenger side rear panel.

On another level, you may also want to "feel" the refrigerant lines coming to/from the rear evaporator. If the exiting line is cold, then the expansion valve may be OK.

'05 Excursion Limited 4x4 6.0L PSD >176,000 miles
ARP Studs, SCT, Coolant filter, MBRP 4", Banks Techni-Cooler, Blue Spring, V/B w/RAS; Hellwig; Red Head; Bilsteins; Michelin M/S2 on 18"x8" 04 Ford wheels; Kenwood DNX9960 w/Rear Camera ; Propride 3P on Arctic Fox 32D
'07 E-450 Hauling 2008 Coach House 272XLFD 6.8L V10 >18,900 miles
Old 07-13-2011, 12:51 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sader View Post
We field repair guys have to have the attitude we can and will fix anything
indeed. i do THIS every day...if i get intimidated by the a/c in my X then im already as good as done for.

...can anybody tell me if the OEM part has been redesigned to prevent this apparently known issue? if it has been redesigned i will go with an OEM TXV, but i dont want to replace a known failure with the same old known failure.

thanks!
Old 07-19-2011, 03:40 PM
New User

thanks for the information. i picked up a TXV at napa for $48, and it only took about an hour to change out. the only difficult part about it is getting the flare fittings tight in the limited space. rear A/C cooling great now!
Old 07-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Postmaster

Misky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputation
Thanks for posting the outcome - that seems to be the most difficult part
somtimes, finding out what fixed it (or not).

Love that BigSky Country.
Welcome to FTE!
'05 EB Excursion 2wd 6.0 3.73/LS Mich LTX M/S2, Diesel Kleen (gray bottle), FICM w/atlas40 from Ed, RAS, Read Head Steering, scangaugeII w/Blendmount, '08+ Tow Mirrors, Magnefine PS filter, SPAtechnique Dual-Gauge (FP & Volt), Blue Spring, Air Lift 1000, Interior Dome Override, DieselSite Coolant Filter, BPD Oil & EGR coolers, Rancho RS9000, Hellwig, Diehard Platinum x2
Old 07-19-2011, 04:13 PM