2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking lot maintenence?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 08:23 PM
tozir
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking lot maintenence?

I will be heading off to college next month, and because I'm a cheapskate, I'd like to do as much maintenance on my 2007 super cab 4.6 2wd as I can, so I can avoid the ridiculous costs some places can charge and their suggestions to get work done that does not need to be done (happened to me before).
So what all maintenance do you think I could do myself in a parking lot? I know I can mess with my air filter (I put a K&N on so I would just need to clean it), and depending on how busy the parking lot is, an oil change (but I may just do it at an Auto Zone or something). There's got to be more things I can do than those few.
Is there any other simple maintenance I can do in a parking lot?

BTW, how much oil does a 4.6 take? I couldn't find it in the manual.

Thanks

Old 07-10-2011, 06:32 AM
truckn1
Freshman User
Six Quarts ,And if it's like my '06 ,You have two choices on filter-either standard or metric threads-so make sure you have the right one . Otherwise ,you might have a real bad day .

Old 07-10-2011, 10:37 AM
BatteriesNotINCL
Senior User

Tozir:

I'm glad to hear your going to college, its always good to hear someone that is trying to better themselves. I am the same way with my truck. I like to save(spend when learning the hard way) money by working on my truck on my own. As for your answer to the parking lot mechanic. Most colleges now have 'eco-laws/regs' in place for dorms. When I was in college, I just went to the auto hobby shop. Your school may not offer that but chances are that there are other avenues, such as jr colleges or trade schools in your area. When I drove cross country some maintenance issues had come up and I had to service my truck in unknown territory, and found plenty of places to get the work done. Be sure and have a good service manual too! If you plan to keep your truck until it dies it may be worth it to have the FORD manual directly from FoMoCo. I bought it and its helped alot!

I'm sure after being at school for a while you will meet locals that have driveways that they will lend you. I'd offer pizza or something like that...Also...I'd highly recommend you joining the chapter that your are closest too on here. I'm from TX stationed in NorCal, and the guys up here have been nothing but help with all these crazy laws here!!

All in all good luck! I'm sure you'll find your garage/driveway/carport/open lot/auto hobby shop if you just keep your eyes sharp and ears open!

Old 07-10-2011, 11:49 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Good for you there Tozir. I too was a cheapazz in school--I had to be! I'd say undergrad was probably some of the best and most memorable 4yrs of my life, and it (and hopefully you're thinking about grad school) is something that'll net some big returns for you later, and then some.

I don't know much about the 4.6, but it's a late model year,so I'd think the truck is pretty much solid. I haven't had to do anything major to my '05 5.4 other than oil changes. You can probably save the tranny fluid change for the summer at home. Fuel filter is a snap. Fortunately most of the work can be done without lifting the jack, so life without a floor jack is fine .

I get all of my Motorcraft filters and Motorcraft oil from Walmart. Can't go wrong with those, and they're cheaper than the dealer.. Consider one of those Fumoto oil drain valves. I got one and it makes life 1000% easier when draining oil. No more messing with transferring oil from an oil catch pan to recycling jugs.

I use to keep my car covered in the dorm parking lots since it sat in the sun all the time...don't know if that's chic these days or not, but if you do that, spray your license plate # on the cover so nobody thinks about stealing it.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:54 AM
ostrx250
Senior User
also kinda matters what you have for tools or access to. ive done tranny swaps in drive ways in a old mustang but you will need a place to store the tools including a drain pan.enjoy

Old 07-11-2011, 12:03 AM
cudamank
Cross-Country
a great place to do maintenance when you don't have your own garage is a self service car wash. The bays are covered and usually well lit.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:54 AM
XB70
Elder User
Originally Posted by cudamank
a great place to do maintenance when you don't have your own garage is a self service car wash. The bays are covered and usually well lit.
Try it at my car wash, and your truck will get a trip at the end of a police tow hook. I'll do my best to request the oldest tow truck most likely to damage your vehicle at no extra charge. Don't forget the trespass charge and if you litter and dump your oil down my drain, the city will tack on another $1,000 fine.

Oh, and if I'm not there don't worry. I've got you and your truck on digital video.

Since you have absolutely no respect for other peoples' property, why drive all the way to a car wash? Why not just pull into the nearest residential drive way and jack up your piece of crap?

What I really need to know is which university is handing out a Bachelor of Douchebag degree.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:45 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by XB70
Try it at my car wash, and your truck will get a trip at the end of a police tow hook. I'll do my best to request the oldest tow truck most likely to damage your vehicle at no extra charge. Don't forget the trespass charge and if you litter and dump your oil down my drain, the city will tack on another $1,000 fine.

Oh, and if I'm not there don't worry. I've got you and your truck on digital video.

Since you have absolutely no respect for other peoples' property, why drive all the way to a car wash? Why not just pull into the nearest residential drive way and jack up your piece of crap?

What I really need to know is which university is handing out a Bachelor of Douchebag degree.
Ok this is a touch uncalled for.
I understand your sensitivity towards your place of business, but your comments are out of line.

Happy Monday all!

Old 07-11-2011, 08:00 AM
XB70
Elder User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Ok this is a touch uncalled for.
I understand your sensitivity towards your place of business, but your comments are out of line.

Happy Monday all!
Oh, get off your politically correct BarcaLounger. Nobody wants to say anything about anybody's bad behavior anymore. What's the matter, too scared to differentiate right from wrong?

No property owner deserves to have his land used as a repair shop by anyone without permission. No homeowner deserves to have his neighborhood devalued by a neighbor changing oil at the curb.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:39 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Sir, I'm far from politically correct. In fact, your rant, and my response have nothing to do with being "politically correct".
You are entitled to your opinions and beliefs, I just think that your blatent disrespect on the forum is unnecessary. That's all.

I hope your day improves.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:16 AM
XB70
Elder User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Sir, I'm far from politically correct. In fact, your rant, and my response have nothing to do with being "politically correct".
You are entitled to your opinions and beliefs, I just think that your blatent disrespect on the forum is unnecessary. That's all.

I hope your day improves.
What would you call someone incapable of making a simple judgment about someone who is willing to trespass onto private property, cause loss of income to a business owner and possibly violate local ordinances and state and federal environmental regulations?

Politically incorrect is charitable.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:25 PM
cudamank
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by XB70
What would you call someone incapable of making a simple judgment about someone who is willing to trespass onto private property, cause loss of income to a business owner and possibly violate local ordinances and state and federal environmental regulations?

Politically incorrect is charitable.
XB not sure where you are, or what you are taking, but please cut back a little. No where in my post did I say anything about dumping oil down your drain, or leaving your property a mess or even trespassing. ( you spoke of towing my truck, be interesting how you would figure that would work or under what law. So please come out of the deep end.

And as a thought before you start throwing mud you should find out if you will be able to take it if it comes back.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:22 PM
tozir
Junior User
1: with your curb comment, are you saying I can't change my oil on my property?
2: who brought up the topic of trespassing on private property? the only thing I can get from this so far is possibly considering a car wash private property. yes it is, because it is privately owned, no because it is open to the public, for public use (albeit, paid). unless you tell someone to go away or be in violation of trespassing, i don't think the police would be able to do anything about that, or if you previously told this person to not come to your business. you could also put up a sign saying something along the lines of 'no mechanical work allowed i.e: changing oil'.

can we get off this topic and just agree that it is dick to dump oil on someones property, but that's illegal everywhere anyways, so the violations of any environmental laws would persist regardless of where the dumping happened.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Aggie.2012
Freshman User
This is derp.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:48 PM
tozir
Junior User
yes it is.

Quick Reply: Parking lot maintenence?