General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Does your insurance premium go up IF SOMEONE ELSE HITS YOU? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does your insurance premium go up IF SOMEONE ELSE HITS YOU? Why?

Ain't your fault man, why should it cost ya?

OPEN FLOOR

Old 07-09-2011, 06:01 PM
bulldogchief
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never had that problem...huh...

Old 07-09-2011, 06:07 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I've been hit twice. The first time was my '79; a drunk, uninsured, unlicensed, underage illegal ran into it and totalled it as it was parked out front. I have uninsured motorist coverage on the truck. My insurance wrote me a check for the truck; I bought the truck back and had it fixed. My rates didn't go up at all.

The second time was in my Civic when a guy backed right into me at the grocery store. I didn't even contact my insurance, because his insurance covered the cost of repairs right away.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:40 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I never had mine go up for being hit by someone.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:45 PM
19704X4F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, was rear ended on the interstate. His insurance paid for it but my rates went up $5 per month.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was hit by a drunk in 2006. Rates stayed the same.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:11 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,292 Posts
My rates didn't go up after the last accident that was MY fault....

Old 07-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay - well this is kind of an open ended explore to see what happens when a claim is made.

So far - ONE hit says YEP! You pay more.
That's out of 6...

I think I'll put a poll up.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Wait a minute. Your insurance CAN go up if you are hit multiple times in a short period. USAA told me that when my truck was totaled. You can be "not at fault" but b/c you are involed "X" amount of times in "X" period, your insurance can go up. BTW my insurance did not go up when I was hit.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:37 AM
bulldogchief
Senior User
Originally Posted by Copedawg
Wait a minute. Your insurance CAN go up if you are hit multiple times in a short period. USAA told me that when my truck was totaled. You can be "not at fault" but b/c you are involed "X" amount of times in "X" period, your insurance can go up. BTW my insurance did not go up when I was hit.
When I got run off the road while riding my Harley in Sardinia (in 2003), USAA didn't raise my rates one cent even though it was classed as a "hit & run" because the dude that did it took off...in fact, when I told them I was going to do the work myself (it was all cosmetic damage) they paid for everything and even waived my deductible.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:51 PM
732t37
Elder User
It depends on the laws in your state. If you live in the kind of state that has private sector jobs and allows you to own guns, usually not because your insurance company would rather punish the party at fault, so as not to lose you as a customer. Where I live in NJ, the premium DOES go up if someone else hits you, because we have so-called "no-fault" insurance, meaning YOUR company pays for the damage to YOUR car, REGARDLESS of fault. Therefore, if you get hit, that's empirical (non-subjective, that is) evidence of an increased risk of a loss that the company may be exposed to. This legal scheme is designed to reduce paperwork, but it's unfair on its face and I call it "always-fault" insurance. I'm keeping track of who replies "no" so I can make a list of good places to move to when I can get myself out of this ****hole.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
They tried to raise my insurance rate due to hail damage. I said excuse me, did I make a claim? My vehicles were in secured in my garage when the storm hit. They backed off after I made a complaint to the Insurance commisioner. When the policy was due again I kicked them to the curb.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:29 AM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
your insurance will not go up if someone hits you..unless you are partially at fault..period!

if it does turn your company into your state insurance commissioner cause something fishy is going on lol..

it is against the law to raise someones rates due to a non at fault accident...now if you use your collision deductible..(meaning you are at fault or you hit a building) then your rates can and most likely will go up..same goes for speeding tickets or any traffic violation that goes on your mvr report...

Old 07-11-2011, 01:27 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Originally Posted by im2tall33
it is against the law to raise someones rates due to a non at fault accident...now if you use your collision deductible..(meaning you are at fault or you hit a building) then your rates can and most likely will go up..same goes for speeding tickets or any traffic violation that goes on your mvr report...
Pretty sure it's NOT against the law. If you get into a lot of accidents, even if none are your fault, the insurance company is going to view you as a higher risk; ergo, higher rates. Insurance companies are for profit, and continual payouts cuts into those profits.

The only accident I've been in over the last 15 years was my fault (driving through a parking lot, took my eyes off the road to change the radio station... $5500 in damage. dumb. dumb. dumb). My insurance paid for the other guy's vehicle and my rates did not go up. I was lucky that time.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:35 PM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stu37d
Pretty sure it's NOT against the law. If you get into a lot of accidents, even if none are your fault, the insurance company is going to view you as a higher risk; ergo, higher rates. Insurance companies are for profit, and continual payouts cuts into those profits.

The only accident I've been in over the last 15 years was my fault (driving through a parking lot, took my eyes off the road to change the radio station... $5500 in damage. dumb. dumb. dumb). My insurance paid for the other guy's vehicle and my rates did not go up. I was lucky that time.

yes but non atfault accidents/comprehensive claims should not impact your rate.. this has been my experience as an agent with the companies i have worked for..granted different states may react differently than idaho or washington

Quick Reply: Does your insurance premium go up IF SOMEONE ELSE HITS YOU? Why?