EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Eccoboost with 2900 miles in shop x 3 weeks!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:54 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Who do you know who's had a TorqShift tranny fail?
My torque shift tranny failed at 20k on my 04 6.0!

Old 07-20-2011, 05:45 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by excaliber551
Two, if those were the trannys in the 2004 and 2006 F250's. I'm not sure if those were the right years for that tranny or not.

Anyways....... I'm not talking about the Torqueshift 5 speeds. I'm talking about that POS 6 speed Ford has now in their new 2011 SD Trucks. I'm just saying this 6.7 rollout is eerily similar to the issues they had with the 6.0.
A poster in the 2007 and up Expedition forum has alluded that Ford will completely redesign the Expy in 2014, offer the new and improved versions of the Ecoboost engines and role out an 8 speed tranny to boot.

I'll wager that Ford looks at any transmission failure as an issue. Likewise, I'll bet that if 500 transmissions go bad out of say 250,000 trucks then Ford isn't going to get real alarmed.

I just got my new truck 3 weeks ago and now 1100 miles on it. The build date is 1/11 and she sat on the dealers lot since 3/11. If my tranny fails, I'll no doubt be very disappointed as this is my first new truck in 25 years. But, after being a member here for the past three years, I have a better understanding of how Ford and it's dealer network do business. It'll be fixed under warranty and will no doubt be better than new.

We have tens of thousands of member here and we very commonly get the horror stories, yes they do exist and they exist with all companies. Let's cheer on the OP instead of making him feel worse then he already does.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:09 AM
okrhino
New User
I have to say I'm not a big fan of FORD transmissions after my 2011 F150 failed at 1000 miles I'm sorry but that is BS. I am a FORD man and this is the 4th FORD truck I have owned and I had good luck with the previous ones but this new truck is a POS. Just my opinion!

Old 09-07-2011, 02:27 PM
08SDGal
Freshman User
I feel your pain. However, your issues are not indicative of the entire F150 line-up. As with any mass produced item, there are going to be a few bad ones. Hopefully Ford can get your truck working correctly, or you get another one (if these issues persist).

My '08 F250 CC 4x4 V10 is a fantastic truck. Yet, I absolutally hate the design of the manual tcase shift lever. Due to NVH complaints, there are no longer perceivable gates. Instead, the shifter feels like it is in a pool of jello, and is that precise. When you fight with it, to get it into low range (you have to find it), you can't get it out.............. as you can't find high range again. Then, after you fight with it for 5 minutes to get it back to 2wd, the stick vibrates when the drivetrain is under load (like towing a trailer up a steep incline).

Unfortunately, it is just the way it is, due to the vast majority never using low range.

I love my truck, but hate my manual tcase, which cannot be fixed, because it is a design issue. My truck is not a POS due to this, however. It is a great truck, with a quirk.

The vast majority of folks with trucks just like yours, have no problems. Hopefully Ford can get yours to the same point.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:40 PM
okrhino
New User
Hope so, I'm growing tired of the mess. About to go the lemon law route if they dont get fixed!!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:01 PM
08SDGal
Freshman User
As you should. Just keep all of your documentation. Most lemon laws state that the vehicle has to be in for the same issue 3x. The tranny thing........... ok, a fluke. However, the drivability issues/mileage issues are not. They have tried once, and failed. This next time of bringing it in, will be the second attempt at a fix.

I love Fords, and would only own them. However, noone is infallible, and there will be the exception to the rule on all brands (well, except Chrysler. I wouldn't even give them a chance. Seen too much after owning an auto repair and towing business for 9 years). I am not blindly brand biased, to the point that I do not think my brand of choice can do no wrong. The quantities built mean there will be some that are not up to par. There just is no way around it.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:15 PM
okrhino
New User
It just sucks when you are in the small % with problems!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:22 PM
08SDGal
Freshman User
Yes it does.

After working on all of them, you pretty much get the opinion that all makes will have problems. I know it doesn't make you feel any better, when you are the unlucky one. Nor should it. However, just have faith that if they do lemon law your truck, the new one you get will probably be perfect. The laws of averages are in your favor. Of course, it doesn't feel that way when you just want to shoot the baby that you love so much.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:43 PM
AlbraiNYa
Junior User
Yeah he is def smoking crack. I bought my wife a 2011 Flex with the 3.5l ecoboost and it is friggin awesome. 350 ish horsepower holy crap this thing flies. And as for Ford's powertrain being a weak link??? WTF are you talking about Ford makes the best most advanced engines out there.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Tundra has a much better transmission that what's in the F150. The Allison is better that what Ford has out in the Superduty by a million miles.

Transmissions and slipping is not a good thing regardless of what color koolaid anyone is drinking.

Tim,
I never said Ford does nothing right. Anyone without blinders on can see the major issues going on with the SD and now the Tranny in the F150 is trying to follow in it's footsteps.

Face it Ford can't build trannys.
Better do some research on this. The SD trans from 08' and up is a stout unit. And IMO a stronger trans than the chev offering.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Aquik72
Junior User
Ok, I just spent 20 minutes reading through all these posts and I'm really nervous now. I have about 900 miles on my truck and several times I've noticed a very HARD down shift when accelerating just a bit...should I be heading to the dealer.

I really don't want some service dude taking my truck out and driving the ***** out of it trying to emulate my problem..

Suggestions plz....

Old 11-28-2011, 08:49 PM
jeffdoerr
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think its just a fluke. Coming from a manufacturing background (quality and destructive testing), I know what auto manufacturers do (and what some dont do) to their product. PPMs were a BIG deal (percentage of parts failing) and everybody in the mfg chain would get involved. I worked with all 3 american auto co's and some of the foreign. It was amazing what awful things were done to try to destroy parts, engines, trannys, rear ends, etc. In fact, knowing what I know, its almost amazing to see one with premature failure. Its solely a fluke or possibly a supplier slip-up and would be small in numbers, due to the high frequency of quality samples, and traceable, due to other quality implementations.

So, having stated that, the old adage comes to play... Some vehicles are built to an expectation and some are merely built to a price. Seems that Ford has always worked to exceed standards and high levels of engineering on interiors, but laxed on the actual fit and finish. GM worked on exterior fit and finish, laxed on interior, and ensured the majority of their vehicles made it past the warranty period with few service visits. Chrysler was focused on supplier pricing.

Rule of thumb is buy a Ford FOR work, buy a Chevy to DRIVE to work, Buy a Dodge if you like to work on it.

Seems to hold true. Each is built to a quality, just not the same quality.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:47 AM
Kelvininin
Cross-Country
The Tundra has a much better transmission that what's in the F150. The Allison is better that what Ford has out in the Superduty by a million miles.

Transmissions and slipping is not a good thing regardless of what color koolaid anyone is drinking.

Tim,
I never said Ford does nothing right. Anyone without blinders on can see the major issues going on with the SD and now the Tranny in the F150 is trying to follow in it's footsteps.

Face it Ford can't build trannys.
Having spent time working with both Toyota and GM, I can say first hand that there is absolutely nothing better in quality or reliability coming from Toyota when compared to the big three, even Chrysler. Anyone who believes otherwise is simply a drinker of the import maker Koolaid.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:52 AM
Kelvininin
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by jeffdoerr
Its a shame that a Toyota truck contains more american made parts than my Ford.
Where the hell are you getting this information?

Toyota's Average domestic index for a vehicle sold in the US is ~35%
Ford Average domestic index for a vehicle sold in the US is ~70%, TWICE AS MUCH!!!

Buying American still means something, but with propaganda like " Its a shame that a Toyota truck contains more american made parts than my Ford" makes people think otherwise.

The other thing to consider is when you buy a domestic vehicle you support more than three times the jobs the import makes do assembling vehicles in the US.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:38 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelvininin
Where the hell are you getting this information?

Toyota's Average domestic index for a vehicle sold in the US is ~35%
Ford Average domestic index for a vehicle sold in the US is ~70%, TWICE AS MUCH!!!

Buying American still means something, but with propaganda like " Its a shame that a Toyota truck contains more american made parts than my Ford" makes people think otherwise.

The other thing to consider is when you buy a domestic vehicle you support more than three times the jobs the import makes do assembling vehicles in the US.
Here it sir in black and white. My 2011 F-150 has a North American parts content of 60%, 25% from Mexico and the rest from who knows where. This really chaps my a$$.

Make/Model Domestic-parts content Assembly location
Ford Taurus 90 percent Chicago
Lincoln MKS 85 percent Chicago
Toyota Sienna 85 percent Princeton, Ind.
GMC Savana 1500 82 percent Wentzville, Mo.
Chevrolet Express 1500 82 percent Wentzville, Mo.
Buick Lucerne 81 percent Detroit
Chevrolet Malibu 80 percent Kansas City, Kan.
Honda Odyssey 80 percent Lincoln, Ala.
Toyota Avalon 80 percent Georgetown, Ky.
Toyota Tundra 80 percent San Antonio
Toyota Venza 80 percent Georgetown, Ky.

Quick Reply: Eccoboost with 2900 miles in shop x 3 weeks!