Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Helicoil vs Timesert & Calvan repair kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 05:09 PM
WMNY
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helicoil vs Timesert & Calvan repair kits

It seems that Timesert has far more support in this forum than Helicoil, but there are several supporters of Helicoil, which looks to be a little easier and a lot cheaper.

I have a Helicoil set and almost enough nerve to start my install, but wondering if I am making an irreparable mistake. Does anyone here have actual experience comparing the different brands? A third set by Cal Van appears to be a little easier than Timesert and is sold by Mac Tools.

Do the later models (2005 and on) still have a problem with blown plugs?

Mine is a '99 V10

Last edited by WMNY; 07-08-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Identify engine as 6.8
Old 07-08-2011, 05:55 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
No. The opposite actually, they are known to have possible breakage issues up until the plug was redesigned again in the later part of the 08' my.

The Timesert kit is very popular and has been put through abuse. Sometimes you get what you pay for and it looks like you get what you pay for with the timesert kit.

What keeps your Helicoil insert in place? Nothing really. The insert can come out or work its way into the cylinder because there is nothing to stop it. The last few threads on the timesert insert are cold formed with the tools supplied and ballons the bottom of the insert so it cannot back or or work its way in, its locked into place.

You could buy the timesert kit, use it and sell it to recoup some of the costs.

Take a look at this link for Timesert abuse.
ModularHeadShop Articles on TimeSert Abuse

An article on the Timesert kit.
http://www.modularheadshop.com/Articles/timesert.htm

Old 07-08-2011, 06:07 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My truck had been helicoiled by the PO.
When the heli-coil backed out, it left a mess that could not be repaired with any other repair kit.

Hence, the Timesert design to prevent backing out.

Having installed both, I didn't find the timesert to be any "harder" to install. A little different, but not any harder.

I do not buy heli-coil kits anymore, only Timeserts.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:25 PM
perryg114
More Turbo
Do you have a failed plug thread of are you just wanting to do this on the premis that it improves reliability?

Perry

Originally Posted by WMNY
It seems that Timesert has far more support in this forum than Helicoil, but there are several supporters of Helicoil, which looks to be a little easier and a lot cheaper.

I have a Helicoil set and almost enough nerve to start my install, but wondering if I am making an irreparable mistake. Does anyone here have actual experience comparing the different brands? A third set by Cal Van appears to be a little easier than Timesert and is sold by Mac Tools.

Mine is a '99 V10

Old 07-08-2011, 06:42 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
IMHO Timesert all the way!!!! Yes it is a little different install wise but the repair is very good! No wondering when and where it will fail like the heli coil will do. Its worth the extra money instead of buying a whole new head.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:59 PM
WMNY
Senior User
Originally Posted by perryg114
Do you have a failed plug thread of are you just wanting to do this on the premis that it improves reliability?

Perry
I have two plugs (2&5) that won't tighten. Found them looking for a P0300 code. Changed all plugs, the rest seemed to torque OK. I would consider doing all of them. I guess after I do my two bad ones, it won't be a problem if I strip out any others when torquing to 20lbs.

Still have the same code and a good miss at all speeds. Not really driving it now. The plugs haven't blown out yet.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:17 PM
WMNY
Senior User
Originally Posted by dkf
No. The opposite actually, they are known to have possible breakage issues up until the plug was redesigned again in the later part of the 08' my.

The Timesert kit is very popular and has been put through abuse. Sometimes you get what you pay for and it looks like you get what you pay for with the timesert kit.

What keeps your Helicoil insert in place? Nothing really. The insert can come out or work its way into the cylinder because there is nothing to stop it. The last few threads on the timesert insert are cold formed with the tools supplied and ballons the bottom of the insert so it cannot back or or work its way in, its locked into place.

You could buy the timesert kit, use it and sell it to recoup some of the costs.

Take a look at this link for Timesert abuse.
ModularHeadShop Articles on TimeSert Abuse

An article on the Timesert kit.
ModularHeadShop Articles on TimeSert Installation
Thanks for the links to see valuable information. Is there a method to make sure you get the reamer and tap all the way?
I'll forget about my Helicoil and wait for a Timesert. I do have a chance to buy a CalVan tool, similar to the Timesert at a good price. Should I forget about that too? I thought the Calvan was almost the same as Timesert. Guess not.

I was planning on selling my 99 to upgrade to an 06 for the stronger engine. Guess I should hold onto my Timesert kit as the new one will probably need Timeserts too.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:26 PM
WMNY
Senior User
Originally Posted by mwsF250
My truck had been helicoiled by the PO.
When the heli-coil backed out, it left a mess that could not be repaired with any other repair kit.

Hence, the Timesert design to prevent backing out.

Having installed both, I didn't find the timesert to be any "harder" to install. A little different, but not any harder.

I do not buy heli-coil kits anymore, only Timeserts.
When I start reaming to install the timesert, how will I know if it has been done before? ie. Helicoil by PO. I've been watching videos on you tube for two days. Think I've got it. Sounds like blowing out the cylinder after the drilling and tapping cleans out the chips OK. I'll get a borescope to be sure.

Haven't read any instructions to keep the valves shut and the pistion at the bottom of the stroke as was shown on the videos.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:48 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by WMNY
Thanks for the links to see valuable information. Is there a method to make sure you get the reamer and tap all the way?
I'll forget about my Helicoil and wait for a Timesert. I do have a chance to buy a CalVan tool, similar to the Timesert at a good price. Should I forget about that too? I thought the Calvan was almost the same as Timesert. Guess not.

I was planning on selling my 99 to upgrade to an 06 for the stronger engine. Guess I should hold onto my Timesert kit as the new one will probably need Timeserts too.
Your V10 should be a Windsor engine, not a Romeo like they mentioned in the article. You should be able to follow Timeserts instructions. I would search on the internet and find as much info, videos and etc before you do the job.

I'm not familier with the Calvan kit so I looked it up. I wonder if the Calvan kit locks the insert in place like the Timesert kit, doesn't look like it. Also looks like the Calvan kit uses steel inserts which I don't like. The Timesert kit uses aluminum inserts to help mimic the expansion and contration rate of the aluminum cylinder head. I would spend the hundred buck or so extra and get the Timesert kit.

You won't need the Timesert kit for the 05'up 3V engines. The Timesert kit for the 2V modulars would not work on the 3V modulars anyway.

When I start reaming to install the timesert, how will I know if it has been done before? ie. Helicoil by PO. I've been watching videos on you tube for two days. Think I've got it. Sounds like blowing out the cylinder after the drilling and tapping cleans out the chips OK. I'll get a borescope to be sure.
You'll want to use a small shop vac with a small pickup tube to suck the shavings out of the cylinder. Some pack the cutter flutes with grease to catch chips. A borescope is a good idea.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts
So, are you saying that the issue with launching plugs is not likely with the 05 up v10's?

Old 07-10-2011, 01:42 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Quad Racer
So, are you saying that the issue with launching plugs is not likely with the 05 up v10's?
I never heard of a 3V V10 launching a plug. The 3V plugs are a completely different design than the 2V plugs. More threads and a VERY long neck that reaches to the combustion chamber. The 3Vs can actually have plug removal issues where the plug breaks off in the head. There are TSBs out from Ford and plug removal kit to remove broken spark plugs on the 3Vs. There are updated 1pc. spark plugs that fix the breakage problem. Regular plug changes prior to 100k miles and following the Ford outlined removal procedure in the TSB helps prevent breakage also. Sometime in 08' Ford changed the plug design again and eliminated the very long neck on the plug.

New design top, old design bottom.

More pics and info

More Information for MOTORCRAFT SP509
New style 3V plug

More Information for MOTORCRAFT SP507
Old style 3V plug. You can see the weld in the pic. (They like to break at the weld)

More Information for MOTORCRAFT SP479
Updated 2V plug for 99'-04' 2V V10s

The old style 2V plugs looked similar to this plug.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts
Thanks for the helpful information. I recently purchased a truck, so i'm learning what I can about it.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:57 AM
dzdiggin'dude
Tuned
Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
Timesert all the way. Had a heli-coil installed that ended up coming back out with plug leaving a bigger mess. I ended up finding a head shop near me that rented their tooling to do a Bigsert. Knock on wood, no problems since.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:30 PM
WMNY
Senior User
Originally Posted by dkf
Your V10 should be a Windsor engine, not a Romeo like they mentioned in the article. You should be able to follow Timeserts instructions. I would search on the internet and find as much info, videos and etc before you do the job.

I'm not familier with the Calvan kit so I looked it up. I wonder if the Calvan kit locks the insert in place like the Timesert kit, doesn't look like it. Also looks like the Calvan kit uses steel inserts which I don't like. The Timesert kit uses aluminum inserts to help mimic the expansion and contration rate of the aluminum cylinder head. I would spend the hundred buck or so extra and get the Timesert kit.

You won't need the Timesert kit for the 05'up 3V engines. The Timesert kit for the 2V modulars would not work on the 3V modulars anyway.

You'll want to use a small shop vac with a small pickup tube to suck the shavings out of the cylinder. Some pack the cutter flutes with grease to catch chips. A borescope is a good idea.
Thanks for your information and clearing up the newer design. I feel like I am in Blown out Spark Plug School as I have done so much reading about the repair and watching videos. I need to get an air ratchet, looking at 3/8" and holding out for a variable speed. I have to do #5 so I might as well be blindfolded, but with the proper tools I might have a chance. Can anyone shed some light here?
Thanks for all the help so far. Our forum here is amazingly helpful. PS. sent back the helicoil kit.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:55 AM
CPaulsen
Senior User
Originally Posted by dkf
I never heard of a 3V V10 launching a plug. The 3V plugs are a completely different design than the 2V plugs. More threads and a VERY long neck that reaches to the combustion chamber. The 3Vs can actually have plug removal issues where the plug breaks off in the head. There are TSBs out from Ford and plug removal kit to remove broken spark plugs on the 3Vs. There are updated 1pc. spark plugs that fix the breakage problem. Regular plug changes prior to 100k miles and following the Ford outlined removal procedure in the TSB helps prevent breakage also. Sometime in 08' Ford changed the plug design again and eliminated the very long neck on the plug.

New design top, old design bottom.

More pics and info

More Information for MOTORCRAFT SP509
New style 3V plug

More Information for MOTORCRAFT SP507
Old style 3V plug. You can see the weld in the pic. (They like to break at the weld)

More Information for MOTORCRAFT SP479
Updated 2V plug for 99'-04' 2V V10s

The old style 2V plugs looked similar to this plug.
I know for a fact the 3 valves blow spark plugs out. Just had 2 cars in our fleet lose a plug each. Both 08's.

Quick Reply: Helicoil vs Timesert & Calvan repair kits