Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2011, 04:11 PM
New User

omnicare is starting off with a positive reputation.
Loosing transmission fluid

2010 f250 4wd diesel. 36000 miles. I am having to add 1/2-1 pint of transmisson fluid every 500 miles or so. I had it serviced at about 25,000 miles because i am pulling a fifth wheel RV. I have had it in the dealership and they can find nothing at all. I see no leaks either. No one seems to know where it its going? It has been suggested that the seals could be bad and it is going into the transfer case? Any ideas?
Old 07-08-2011, 04:24 PM
New User

pduffy211 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That is a crap load of fluid, you should see it someplace. You can check the level in the transfer case to start but I'd start parking it in the same (hard covered) place all the time and watch for drips.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:33 PM
New User

Thanks pduffy211. haven't seen the first drop on the ground. The underbelly is clean. I'm putting up on the rack tomorrow to check the transfer case level. Ever heard of that happening?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:13 AM
New User

pduffy211 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm not going to say it isn't possible but that much fluid transfer is going to come out of the transfer case seals or vent sooner or later. Might check this thread for other ideas.
F250 Transmission Leaks when backing - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Old 07-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Post Fiend

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
On some vehicles the oil can be sucked into the engine through a vacuum tube/hose and burnt but not famiar with this setup.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:42 PM
New User

Sucked into the engine? Wouldn't there be smoke or something? I had it at the dealership in Roswell NM yesterday. The underbody was totally dry and the oil level in the transfer case was correct. NOBODY AT THE DEALERSHIPS HAS A CLUE. Should this be a warranty issue now should a file some kind of a claim?
Old 07-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXv10 View Post
On some vehicles the oil can be sucked into the engine through a vacuum tube/hose and burnt but not famiar with this setup.
That system went out a couple decades ago. It can't happen on electronic transmissions.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 07-10-2011, 04:52 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
250, diesel, f250, fluid, ford, losing, tranny, transmision