1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

title help. please help

Old 07-08-2011, 11:58 AM
xcrunner2616
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
title help. please help

guys im from nc. i havent been on here for so long. here is my problem. there is a lein on my vin from 1965. well it was through an atlantic acceptance corp. well according to the atlantic acceptance they have sold their auto business to ncnb. well ncnb has sold to nations bank. which is now bank of america. well bank of america swears it is not their loan. so i am lost and dont really know what to do. can anyone help me? do i have any other options?

Old 07-08-2011, 12:03 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 602 Likes on 374 Posts
I assume you see the lien on the physical title you have? and you haven't transferred title yet? If that is correct, I'd apply for a bonded title, saying the old one is lost. You pay like $50 to buy title insurance, and if no one ever contests it, you can get a regular title after some period of time. It doesn't sound like anyone is going to put a claim against it, I'd bet when Atlantic Acceptance went belly up they wrote off the loan financially, but didn't do the proper paperwork.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:18 PM
xcrunner2616
Junior User
no the lein is in the dmv record of the vin #. can i still apply for a bonded?

Old 07-08-2011, 12:38 PM
kjdungan
Senior User
Originally Posted by xcrunner2616
no the lein is in the dmv record of the vin #. can i still apply for a bonded?
I would check with a Title Company for assistance. Here in AZ we have various title companies that deal with automotive titles. They should have the fastest and least frustrating process.

Good Luck - Keli

Old 07-08-2011, 01:01 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe get a letter from each company stating that they sold the acounts to the other banks and then get a letter from BofA stating that they have no record.

Perhaps showing the trail to the DMV will help you resolve the lien.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:28 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,410 Likes on 1,370 Posts
Since the VIN for the truck is in 'the system', going through a title company won't work. All you need is to find someone at B of A to sign off on the lien to show it as paid, or satisfied. But finding the person willing or able to do that could be time consuming. It's a scenerio I'm familiar with, but finally I was able to locate someone with some common sense and they just signed it. You just need to keep going up their chain of command.

Beyond that, it would be a matter of asking your state licensing department for their recommended procedure to remedy the situation. I feel for you. Title issues can be extremely frustrating. Good luck.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Since the VIN for the truck is in 'the system', going through a title company won't work. All you need is to find someone at B of A to sign off on the lien to show it as paid, or satisfied. But finding the person willing or able to do that could be time consuming. It's a scenerio I'm familiar with, but finally I was able to locate someone with some common sense and they just signed it. You just need to keep going up their chain of command.

Beyond that, it would be a matter of asking your state licensing department for their recommended procedure to remedy the situation. I feel for you. Title issues can be extremely frustrating. Good luck.

I agree. Go up the chain of command. Just keep asking the person you are talking to who their boss is and call that person. Might take some time.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:59 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Open a bank account at BofA, put some money in it, then ask the branch manager for help with your situation.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:24 AM
xcrunner2616
Junior User
hey guys this is pretty old but i wanted everyone to know what happened with my title. it may help someone later. i ended up calling the state and explaining to them my situation and the guy told me to send a certified letter to the company where it was back in the 60s. when it comes back unopened and undeliverable i was to forward to the state of nc in a certified letter. then the state would send the letter certified to AAC and when it came back to them undeliverable they would say the company was out of business and they would clear the title. i am still waiting on them but i should get a clear title sometime soon. i hope....

Old 01-14-2012, 07:13 AM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Titles can be a real PITA!

Old 01-14-2012, 08:36 AM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Good to hear that you are reaching a solution on the title. Having worked in the car sales business for years, old titles can be a hassle. Even worse is when there is no title. Many states now require a title regardless of year. The good ole' bill of sale no longer cuts it in many states. I look at it this way - while it's a pain to clear up issues, what if you had a valid lien in place and a state didn't help enforce it? I have seen people sign (forge) a lien holders signature to get a title pushed through. Not only is that not right, it's VERY illegal. I am glad to hear that are taking the steps to correct it legally. You will be much happier in the future with a good, clear title in your hand. Good luck!

P.S. I HATE when I go to buy a vehicle and people tell me they misplaced or lost the title. I know it happens but it makes me leary to deal with that person. I had a truck stolen and the "new owner" sold it on ebay without a title. I recovered it 2 years later. Titles prove ownership and to me it's just as important as the truck itself. Sorry about my rant there... lol

Old 01-14-2012, 09:31 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,410 Likes on 1,370 Posts
Thanks for the update! I'm glad this is all working out.

I, too, hate those ads where the seller says he doesn't have a title, but will provide a bill of sale. Then they like to add insult to injury when they say it's easy to get. If it was so easy, why haven't they done it? If it was legitimately their vehicle, they can apply for a lost title very easily. It's not so easy for the next guy. If they don't have a title, legally, it's not theirs to sell.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:40 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 602 Likes on 374 Posts
Glad it worked out!

Another seller's wrinkle that I steer away from is when they have a clear title but haven't transferred it to their name in the 5 years they've owned it (even better when it's an out of state title). They avoided paying taxes on the purchase that way, but MVD will smack the new owner with back fees in some cases.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:57 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the update. I've had NC title issues as well but not the one you described. Thanks for circling back with the DMV endoresed resolution.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:22 PM
kcb37
Senior User
Glad to hear you got it figured out.
When I bought my 49 I got lucky at least I like to think so. I bought it with a bill of sale from a junk yard, no big deal.
My local DMV did not want to title it. Turns out one of my coworkers mother worked at a DMV about 2 hours away. She told me it shouldn't be a problem to title because of the age. Still had problems. Ended up she titled it with her address for me.
Think I gave her son $200 to do so, cost for title and all the fees whatever. Never did see any change, but none the less, I have a clear title to my truck.