1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Cracked Flattie

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 07:03 AM
cruisetopdown
Laughing Gas
Received 273 Likes on 109 Posts
Cracked Flattie

I have finally gotten the 'ol flattie up on the engine stand and started cleaning her up. Much to my dismay I have discovered 2 cylinders with cracks from the valve to the cylinder bore . I have searched the site and see that I am now in the market for a replacement block. My question is, what are the chances that welding and sleeving would work for a limited use application (weekend trips to the local lumber yard)? I like cookies so the "darkside" is not too far off , however, I would prefer to keep her all stock and rebuild her to her former glory. Anyone have any idea where I might find decent block to keep her going? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Wade
Pics will follow......

Old 07-08-2011, 08:36 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Those are fairly "fatal" cracks that can be pinned/sleeved in some cases, but unless you have a bunch of money into the block (porting etc), usually not worth trying. Welding is usually not a repair option.

I have a spare block I'm not going to need, it has been vatted and dye tested for cracks. One small crack was pinned to prevent spread. It has the "usual" crack at the center water hole on one side. PM me if interested.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:52 AM
SmoKerch
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you can use sleeves, even all 8 cylinders if need be.
Plus, there are threaded inserts for the valve pockets.

Check out H & H Flatheads site : Flatheads Forever

Old 07-08-2011, 09:10 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
You "can" do lots of things, but it ain't cheap or guaranteed. I recently spoke with a gent who sleeved one cylinder and pinned 11 cracks, only to find on start-up that the exhaust runner was also cracked and leaked water into the exhaust. Close to a grand in machine work down the drain. Until good blocks are rare as hen's teeth, cracks in the valve pockets are not worth messing with, IMO.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:50 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah, like it or not, it's really not practical to fix these motors for daily use.....you have to REALLY want one. It can get very expensive. I have a couple extra blocks I'm saving...not positive they are any good either

Old 07-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flatheadcity For Sale

They got it all.

The Hot Rod Company - Your home for streetrod, rat rod, hot rod parts, Stromberg carburetors, polished aluminum skull exhaust tips / scoops, rod & Kulture, flathead, ford v8, rolls & pleats, magneto

Ford Flathead Engines

I have only delt with the last link vanpelts. I must say I ordered water pumps. Not only were they here the next day they were half the price of LMC.