6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

40-45 MPH "Shudder"

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:14 AM
johnc2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
40-45 mph shudder

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and was reading the posts on this problem. Have 4000 miles on my 2011 6.7 f350 and this happened at least 4 times. Usually happens when going up hill on secondary roads but did it on the highway also at 60 mph. Truck really shudders and seems to be knocking also. Not sure if the engine or drive train is knocking. Left it at the dealer and naturally there were unable to duplicate the problem. Truck has a build date of 12/10 and they said it was up to date on all the TSBs. Supposed to hear back from them next week when the Ford rep comes in. Hopefully I can reproduce the problem to show the rep.

In the meantime I will try to lock out 5th and 6th gears and see if that helps. I guess its more likely to happen during regen, since it is intermittant.

Thanks for any input and I will post the results when I talk to the Ford rep.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:47 AM
kabur66
Senior User
Originally Posted by marchare011
Good post, Epic. As always.

I just returned home from Mayo's clinic in Rochester, MN, and the beating I encountered on I-90 from Sioux Falls, SD to Rochester, MN was the worst I have ever felt.
I have pulled trailers for over 30 years. I am very familiar with the fact that trailers enhance or exagerate bad roads. But this was the worst I have ever been beat up. Another bad section of Interstate is I-29 from Sioux City, IA to Omaha, NE.
March . . . . Do you have this bucking problem every time you pull your 5th wheel, or only on bad roads? Do you think that an air hitch would smooth out the ride?

ken

Old 07-15-2011, 08:23 AM
6.7Fan
Senior User
You can also start off in 2 or 3 by placing the tranny in D and the indicator will show 1, then push the + once and the indicator will go to 2, effectively locking out 1. You can then start off in 2. Or push the + twice and the indicator will show 3 and then you can start off in 3. Not something I would recommend while pulling a trailer, but FYI.
Are you sure you meant to say put the tranny in "D"? I didn't know this was possible so I tried it yesterday and mine won't lock out 1st or 2nd. When I'm in "D" and I push the + sign all that happens is my gear indicator disappears. I know you can do this is Manual Mode. Is this what you meant?

Old 07-15-2011, 09:11 AM
sledhead_24_7
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I am talking about the same thing.

My truck has a barking/ turbo fart noise accompanied by a shudder/ surging happening at 45-55 mph during very light throttle acceleration/ maintain low speeds on the hwy. The noise is getting more frequent as I get more miles on the truck. It also does not matter if I have the stock intake on or my aftermarket one from Banks. The noise started around December, I now have 19,450 ish miles on the truck, and it did not do this when it was new in September.

Once the noise starts and if I don't have to change the throttle due to road conditions I can make it keep doing it for quite a while.

The dealer has looked at it and of coarse was not able to reproduce the sound. They did tell me though that they have several others doing the same thing and were able to reproduce it on at least one of them. So my dealer is at least aware of the issue and told me Ford is also aware of the problem. According to them Ford is working on a fix.

I have a couple sound clips off my phone and a picture of the dash while one the incident is happening. But I can not get them to load? My phone is a iphone, so maybe it is a apple thing?

Old 07-15-2011, 10:03 AM
machine62
Senior User
Originally Posted by sledhead_24_7
I think I am talking about the same thing.

My truck has a barking/ turbo fart noise accompanied by a shudder/ surging happening at 45-55 mph during very light throttle acceleration/ maintain low speeds on the hwy. The noise is getting more frequent as I get more miles on the truck. It also does not matter if I have the stock intake on or my aftermarket one from Banks. The noise started around December, I now have 19,450 ish miles on the truck, and it did not do this when it was new in September.

Once the noise starts and if I don't have to change the throttle due to road conditions I can make it keep doing it for quite a while.

The dealer has looked at it and of coarse was not able to reproduce the sound. They did tell me though that they have several others doing the same thing and were able to reproduce it on at least one of them. So my dealer is at least aware of the issue and told me Ford is also aware of the problem. According to them Ford is working on a fix.

I have a couple sound clips off my phone and a picture of the dash while one the incident is happening. But I can not get them to load? My phone is a iphone, so maybe it is a apple thing?
I have had the same thing happen multiple times. It seems pretty random. Haven't taken it in yet to be looked at.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:02 PM
tmoroso
New User
I am a newbie and am dealing with my 2010 6.4 but your symproms sound similar to what I have experienced even though I know you have a completly different power train. Have been dealing with the same issue with my truck for the past 7,000 miles with multiple dealers telling me they were "unable to duplicate". Finnally got a tech to go on a ride with me while his computer was hooked up and noticed chadder when the tourque converter was locking in. A change in the RPM with gear selection as talked about would get rid of the problem due to different variables, as well as any normal acceleration. My issue to was under light acceleration and holding a steady speed, felt like a really bad wheel balance, which it was not. Have had my truck back for three days now and I am happy to say that I believe they fixed the issue. They ended up replacing the tourque converter and two shift solenoids. Truck is a different beast and runs and shifts sooo much smoother and guess what no hop/shutter. Hopes this helps, thought I would share my experience as it seems similar to what other SD owners have been experiencing. Good luck.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:01 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kabur66
March . . . . Do you have this bucking problem every time you pull your 5th wheel, or only on bad roads? Do you think that an air hitch would smooth out the ride?

ken
Hi Ken,

The only time my truck bucks like I was referring to, is when pulling my 5er on a rough road. By rough I mean undulations in the road bed. Like frost heaves every 15-30 feet. The truck begins rocking front to back in a rhythmic pattern and the trailer makes the problem worse. My 14K flat bed trailer will do the same thing with a couple thousand pounds or more on it.

I bet an air hitch would help with the rocking motion. I haven't ever pulled with one though. So I can only speculate. I also think the coil spring front end adds to the problem by letting the front start the whole bouncing thing. JMO

Old 07-15-2011, 08:05 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 6.7Fan
Are you sure you meant to say put the tranny in "D"? I didn't know this was possible so I tried it yesterday and mine won't lock out 1st or 2nd. When I'm in "D" and I push the + sign all that happens is my gear indicator disappears. I know you can do this is Manual Mode. Is this what you meant?
Whoops-a-daisy! Yes, with the tranny in M. Sorry about that. Good catch.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:45 AM
6.7Fan
Senior User
Whoops-a-daisy! Yes, with the tranny in M. Sorry about that. Good catch.
Haha, OK. Just making sure I wasn't missing a flash on my truck! It would be great to be able to lock out 1st in "D" though....

Old 07-17-2011, 09:00 AM
kabur66
Senior User
Originally Posted by 6.7Fan
Just an FYI, not sure if anyone else has heard or if this is true....

For those that experience the "chugging" or "Shudder" when going 40-45 MPG at low rpm (corrected for me by locking out 5th or 6th gear in these conditions).

I dropped my truck off at the dealer this morning for the transmission shifting issues. My service writer asked if I meant the 40-45 shudder. I said no, but I've been experiencing that since I picked up my truck last August.

He said that Ford is working on this issue as well and they expect a TSB to come out for it in the very near future.

Anyone else heard this?
Well, do we have a concensus as to the cause of the "shuddering" problem in our F350 trucks?::

1. Bad Torque convertor;
2. Truck constantly engaging the overload springs; or
3. improper driveline angle once the springs are loaded and compressed. The geometry of the rear diff to the driveline to the transfer case all changes, thus causing the shudder.

If it is in the torque convertor, how can I get Ford to change it out.
I have significant jerking motion when pulling my heavy 5th wheel.

If the problem is with the lineup of the driveline, will air bags on the truck fix the problem?

thanks . . . . . (I need some sheep) ken

Old 07-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kabur66

I have significant jerking motion when pulling my heavy 5th wheel.
How heavy is the fiver?

Have you towed a fiver before? A shucking/bucking feeling is a common complaint with fifth wheels when being towed. It can often be traced to improper placement of the hitch when installed (too far back of the axle) or can be associated with rough pavement (expansion cracks, etc)

Old 07-18-2011, 09:03 AM
kabur66
Senior User
Originally Posted by Biggziff
How heavy is the fiver?

Have you towed a fiver before? A shucking/bucking feeling is a common complaint with fifth wheels when being towed. It can often be traced to improper placement of the hitch when installed (too far back of the axle) or can be associated with rough pavement (expansion cracks, etc)
This is my first 5th wheel. The chucking is more than a slight inconvenience. It is uncomfortable and harsh and constant at all speeds and in any gear. The hitch is installed just forward of the rear axle.
The only time the chucking goes away is when pulling up a hill.

thanks ken

Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 AM
johnc2
New User
40-45 mph shudder

Could this be an injector problem? Happened twice yesterday. Going up hill around 30-35, truck started to vibrate/shudder and I could hear a "knocking" sound from the engine. Like there was a dead spot or something causing the engine to starve for fuel. Also did it from a dead stop while pulling away from a light. Clears up after each episode and is fine for a day or two. Still waiting to hear from the Ford rep about the problem.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Champ198
Elder User
Mine sorta does that when it goes into regen. A couple minutes later the regen message flashes and goes away. It sounds different.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:40 AM
johnc2
New User
Yeah, crazy situation between the shudder and the knocking sound, not sure if the two problems are connected. I think it is more likely to happen during regen too. Mine seems to happen more when going uphill but has done it on flat road and once on the highway going 60-65. I thought it might be an injector problem or some programing issue where it's not getting the correct amount of fuel or something else that is causing the knock. Almost like a gas engine when you put cheap gas in or the timing is off and it would "ping". Only with this the ping is more like a "knock" from the top of the engine.

Quick Reply: 40-45 MPH "Shudder"