1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Progress pictures

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 10:50 AM
hxgaser
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Progress pictures

It has been 2 years since I got my 51. Although I have been tinkering with it off and on for awhile, messing with charging system, putting new brakes in, sanding the top half of the cab to the metal and etc, I haven't had any huge motivation to really step up the game until now. My garage is about to fall over... So I had to put the truck in the driveway and required some tiding up.

It was never intended to be a show truck or anything. I always planned on driving it around and hauling stuff as it was originally intended. But I guess it is coming out nicer than I thought. Here are some before and now shots. Still in progress of putting it together.

Day that I loaded on to a flat bed.

Last week... Front shot. (I got new parking light bezels since then)

Bed. Lack of 2 years ago...

Bed. As of this morning. I was up until midnight putting it together.

Color is PPG N.A 409770. I was planning on a matt finish, but the paint shop guy sprayed gloss. He offered a discount and I think I like the gloss finish as sprayed. The bed is oak finished with spar varnish. Interior was just shot with gloss black. I will take some pictures and post as well. I have the hood emblems which will be cleaned up and installed soon. Hopefully it will be all put together in about a week.

BTW, thanks for all the info that you all posted. It helped tremendously.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 AM
gdgerland
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice.......Looks great. You have made a lot of progress. How is the engine? Looks like it is just about ready for the road. Keep us posted on your progress.

Gil

Old 07-07-2011, 12:29 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow....that is looking great!

Now....off to the rockery to pick up a load of gravel and rocks for the landscape projects!!!

Old 07-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Very nice looking. Shoot it looked nice in the before pictures.
I hadn't noticed this before but without mirrors the truck looks extra skinny.
Do you know what kind of mirrors you are putting on it?

Can't wait for interior and motor pictures. Good work.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:53 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow! What a difference. At first, I was expecting to see the truck in pieces and in five different shades of primer.

There's no way you'll be hauling anything inside the bed of that truck now.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:20 PM
hxgaser
Senior User
@ Harrier: I have a set of hinge mount mirrors. Just having a heck of time figuring out how to remove the hinge pins though... I have been soaking the pins in penetrating oil for the past week. We will see. As for the motor. It is all stock. I will have to clean up the engine compartment.

@ 51PanelMan: You just wait until I fill up the bed with dirt and compost. It may be sooner than you think.

I will take some more pics. Thanks for the kind words folks.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:35 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hate to tell you this, but you should have removed the door hinge pins before the truck was painted. The pins are a major PITA to remove. You should do a search on this subject. Some have reported that heat and a lot of pounding with an air chisel was needed.

At this point, I'd just get some mirrors that clip onto the door edge.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:51 PM
hxgaser
Senior User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Hate to tell you this, but you should have removed the door hinge pins before the truck was painted. The pins are a major PITA to remove. You should do a search on this subject. Some have reported that heat and a lot of pounding with an air chisel was needed.

At this point, I'd just get some mirrors that clip onto the door edge.
Yeah, I am learning that out the hard way. I did think about the peep mirrors. I may end up going that route if I can't reasonably remove the pins.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Like he said, they are a major major PITA if they've never been out. Mine laughed at the punch on an air chisel. But I got the last laugh with a big hand punch and a pair of vice grips to hold it while we swung away at it with about a 5 pound hammer. It can be done, but it's very tricky and one slip sends you into a world of cuss words over a ruined paint job. I changed the mirror on my 49 (in the avatar) as well. Got lucky. It all depends on whether or not the pin was ever out of the hinge. If it's been there 60 years, you better eat your Wheaties.

I like the color of your truck. Very nice. The bed looks good too. Congratulations.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Roadkinghi
Freshman User
Ah projects are long time happening. Drove mine for almost 40 years then decided to fix some rust, little paint, etc.
Over two years later it is emerging from a frame tear down and has migrated from F3 and will emerge as a F1, with some F3 stuff...
Hope to get some pics and info on here in the coming months.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Roadkinghi
Freshman User
Gotta agree about the mirrors, hinge mounts didn't last and drilling holes in the body is not an exciting option. I too will look at clip type.... or just drive on and the heck with those behind

Old 07-07-2011, 09:42 PM
low54
Elder User
awesome...great color...