1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Trailer Knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:44 PM
53pickemuptruck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Knowledge

What size trailers do you guys use for hauling your trucks around? I'm getting ready to pick one up in a couple of weeks so I can get it to the exhaust shop. My trucks lowered quite a bit and I'm afraid I can't get upon one of the ramp trailers. I've been looking at an 18 ft tilt trailer. I have never hauled a truck before and was just curious as to what size to get.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:56 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had a 20ft flatbed, with a 4ft dovetail, and removable ramps. this was just a little steep for my green truck, so I would have to put a section of 2x12 down in front of the ramps to get the front end up just a little. watch out for the fender height as well here. some have removable fenders on the drivers side to solve this problem.
Others bolt/nail down some 2x6/10/12 to have the vehcile set on to raise it enough to get the door open..

I sold that for a 20 ft enclosed trailed with a tailgate door.. (the green truck doesn't deal well with flying debris!) No problems with the front scraping, but it doesn't have an escape door on the driver side, so you can't open the vehicle door either. so I have to winch the truck in and out. but it kills the tow vehicle mileage something fierce.

I bought a used 20ft flatbed year before last, and the dovetail was very low to the ground and was really a joy to load cars onto. the fender was an inch lower than on my first trailer, so didn't have any problems with vehicle doors. Turned out it was stolen, so it went back to the original owner. nice trailer tho. this was a bigtex 70ch (bigtex.com for measurements)..

you can tow with a 14ft trailer, but the truck hangs over both ends.. I don't like that, and then there is no room to put anything else..

If I need a flatbed right now, I rent one.. $40/day.. lots of rental days for $2000-3000 for a trailer.

Sam

Old 07-06-2011, 10:53 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
I have a 20 ft tilt bed trailer with a wood deck. When I bought it the dealer told me the design was popular with the custom car guys and Corvette owners because it could be easily loaded without worrying about having low cars getting hung up on it. I've never had a problem loading anything on it.

Mine's a H&H, out of IA., bought it from a local dealer.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:16 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
If you're so low that it wouldn't go up an 18' tilt trailer, you're probably too low for practical street driving. Even so, with some 2x6 lumber strategically placed under the rear trailer edge, you should be able to get it off and on. Size wise, as far as fit and weight carrying goes, it would be perfect.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:36 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have an 18' flatbed with 14' of flatbed space and 4' of dovetail at the end. The trailer has two 3500# dropped axles. Trailer is significantly lower to the ground with the dropped axles when compared to a trailer with regular axles. Haven't had any problems loading a lowered Mustang onto it. I have had the trailer since 2004. I store the trailer outside and the wood is showing its age. I'll have to replace it soon.