Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

Motor Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 06:48 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aussie_f350
That's awesome mate, can't wait to see some numbers, got plans for a dyno pull?
With the gearbox, will that be a tune thing or valve body? I've never driven anything like yours but they defiantly pull better when they go up a gear with the tc locked up.
Just a couple drive bys and a in cab video, if you can do it? Thanks mate I love reading about your stuff.
would like to get more miles on it b4 I start pushing the go pedal. The economy tune is real sweet around town Simon. You can have a go b4 you buy. The shift stratagies are in the toons. Just my opinion atm. Might be able to work it better when I get used to it. If not I can get the toons changed.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:25 PM
aussie_f350
Senior User

What's the cost for a reburn? Or can they just be emailed and you do it yourself? Is this a completely new tune for you or what you had before?

Old 10-21-2012, 09:21 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Free re burns but you need a burner to do it (which I have). Yes completely different tuner. I had a DPTuner b4. Now Im running Matts from Gearhead Automotive Performance.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:19 AM
aussie_f350
Senior User

Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder
Free re burns but you need a burner to do it (which I have). Yes completely different tuner. I had a DPTuner b4. Now Im running Matts from Gearhead Automotive Performance.
I remember you saying you had matts tunes. Didn't know if that was new or not.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:13 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

new avatar ???? is that yours
Edit: just read ya other post. you have been a busy boy. let the games begin.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
YOU BEAUTY

Just did 70 km trip. Its starts pretty much first crank now. Didnt do one of the intercooler clamps up tight enough and of course it blew off. Need to get some miles on it before I bump up the tuner. Must say first impressions of Matts toons are very favorable. Im only in "economy" but it has great throttle response and you can tell it wants to go. The only gripe and this could be that I need to get use to it, is first gear is holding a little to long. Although a lot of engine failures are low in the rev range when you are loading up the rods, he maybe letting the engine rev a little higher before it goes into second.
Oh and what are you looking for in the drive video ??
G'day Brian,

You beauty .
I'm so glad for you mate, after all the , trials, tribulations, floor pacing (not to mention the "I'M AN IDIOT" factor ) you've gone through. Soooo now " Let the good times begin .

Cheers,
Reg

Old 10-22-2012, 05:54 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
would like to get more miles on it b4 I start pushing the go pedal. The economy tune is real sweet around town Simon. You can have a go b4 you buy. The shift stratagies are in the toons. Just my opinion atm. Might be able to work it better when I get used to it. If not I can get the toons changed.
Brian that thing sounds GREAT!! Now I hear you talking about shift stratagies with your tunes. If I remember don't you have a John Woods trans? If so I would ask him / JW what the shift stratagies to look for. It seems to me that most tuners are good at making power but they all seem to have issues with getting the trans tuning dialed in since there are way to many different trans set ups. Now if you recall I built my own 4r100 and went with Sonnax valves, modds and upgrades. And I am still running factory tunes and I love how the parts work with stock shift stratagy. And as far as my tc lock up I used Sonnax TCC valve & spring. And my lock up is sweet ! So when I go to get tunes I don't want the tunes to mess with shift stratagies. Just injection timing and fuel pw.

That is why if you have a JW trans ask him or ask Matt if he would do something different with a JW trans as far as shift stratagies.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:37 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Brian that thing sounds GREAT!! Now I hear you talking about shift stratagies with your tunes. If I remember don't you have a John Woods trans? If so I would ask him / JW what the shift stratagies to look for. It seems to me that most tuners are good at making power but they all seem to have issues with getting the trans tuning dialed in since there are way to many different trans set ups. Now if you recall I built my own 4r100 and went with Sonnax valves, modds and upgrades. And I am still running factory tunes and I love how the parts work with stock shift stratagy. And as far as my tc lock up I used Sonnax TCC valve & spring. And my lock up is sweet ! So when I go to get tunes I don't want the tunes to mess with shift stratagies. Just injection timing and fuel pw.

That is why if you have a JW trans ask him or ask Matt if he would do something different with a JW trans as far as shift stratagies.
G'day Ed. I spoke to Matt when ordering the tuner and we talked about the trans. He was mainly concerned with the firmness of the shifts. JW firms up the shifts with he's valve body work and Matt asked if he could do it on the soft side of firm (if you follow). Then Matts tunes add a little more (which gives you room to move in the tunes). The firmness is not my issue. Its the way the tune is holding 1st right up to 2200rpm with only the slightest of pedal action. eg in heavy traffic and just moving up 200 yards or so. If you give the pedal anymore than slight it will rev up to 2700 b4 changing. i would expect that slight pedal action would give a quicker/softer change at say around 1700/1800 rpm. If you mash then pedal, obviously you are in a hurry and the 2700rpm change would be expected.. After driving it a bit more I can get the 1st gear change a bit quicker but you really have to concentrate and the difference in pedal position and change characteristics is microscopic.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:37 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
G'day Ed. I spoke to Matt when ordering the tuner and we talked about the trans. He was mainly concerned with the firmness of the shifts. JW firms up the shifts with he's valve body work and Matt asked if he could do it on the soft side of firm (if you follow). Then Matts tunes add a little more (which gives you room to move in the tunes). The firmness is not my issue. Its the way the tune is holding 1st right up to 2200rpm with only the slightest of pedal action. eg in heavy traffic and just moving up 200 yards or so. If you give the pedal anymore than slight it will rev up to 2700 b4 changing. i would expect that slight pedal action would give a quicker/softer change at say around 1700/1800 rpm. If you mash then pedal, obviously you are in a hurry and the 2700rpm change would be expected.. After driving it a bit more I can get the 1st gear change a bit quicker but you really have to concentrate and the difference in pedal position and change characteristics is microscopic.
Actually that doesn't sound too bad. But I can see how it might be something you get use too or have him adjust it alittle. But good thing you have a burner that will help to keep it simple.

Now why did you switch from DP to Matt ? And how was Jody tunes when it came to his shift stratagy? And what would you say the differents are in Jody and Matt's tunes on the same setting as far as power and shift stratagies

Old 10-22-2012, 08:27 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

The main reason I went with Matt is that he has tuned a truck with pretty much the same set up as mine a got 540HP out of her. Low egt's and no smoke. When I made inquiries at DP regarding Hybrid sticks the response was that he would tune for them but would prefer stage II's. At that stage he wasnt a big fan of Hybrids and had some smoke issues. Now thats my take on what was asked and answered. He's view may differ now. Another thing I dont like about DP is the touchy pedal. With the TS chip and the burner I can put any body's tune with DP I cant. Now to compare Matts against Jody's - to early to say. I need to give this motor a chance to bed in.
Shift strategies vary. Matts hold 1st gear to long. Jodys hold third gear to long (specially in the tow tune). 80kph (50mph) is when 3rd will change into 4th (or near abouts) and is also a very common speed limit around here. Now when cruising on the flat at 80kph in traffic DP will hold 3rd at around 2100 rpm where I want it to change into 4th and just cruise at 1400-1500 rpm. In the tow tune it will hold up to 90kph/2300rpm. I would rather it change into 4th at 80 as per stock and if I desire it hold longer I would do it via the O/D on/off switch. other than that it shifted fine. I did like the option of the stock tune on DP's which I dont have on MAtts. He only has six positions so you cant be to picky with the toons

Old 11-13-2012, 04:04 AM
aussie_f350
Senior User

must be time for a update??

Old 11-13-2012, 08:12 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
So Brian I am hoping you can give us a update and how are you liking Matt's tunes?

Old 01-13-2013, 04:44 PM
aussie_f350
Senior User

Dyno tomorrow?? You excited or nervous hahaha?

Old 01-14-2013, 06:43 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Well it looks like Matt and I have a bit of work to do.

Economy 368.8 HP
Street 398.8 HP
All Out 393.3 HP

Dont get me wrong. Im starting to shine to Matts tunes. We still have some work to do and the shift strategies need tweeking. I did video it , just need to work out how to get from the video to the puter.

Anyone help me out with uploading the video. Its stored as a " VR_MOVIE.VRO" file and I use PowerDVD to run it.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:35 PM
aussie_f350
Senior User

They are awesome numbers! I can't wait to see the video!! It's interesting the curve of the street tune compared to all out, wasn't spinning the tyres on dyno?

Quick Reply: Motor Build