new to diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 12:34 AM
jaroh
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to diesel

Kind of long, Sorry.

So I recently purchased my fathers 94 f-250 turbo,5 speed and straight piped. Its had its issues since a few years ago. He installed the foam filter on the wrong side and sucked it towards the turbo. I don't remember if it had chuncks missing or not, but it sure towed like crap for the two miles we went to drop off his fifth wheel. When we got back home I started changing the fuel filter as we thought it was clogged. He started removing the air filter housing to bleed the fuel lines after I had changed the filter and noticed his mistake. Since then he has always said the it didn't have the power it once had.

Since I had not driven the truck before the incident I really don't know if what I have fixed here the last couple of days has really made a difference, So I will list what I did and ask a few more questions to see what you think.

Turbo would spool up occasionally, of cource not when you needed it. So I
- replaced the drivers side exhaust manifold (cracked)
- checked the line on the turbo, really loose of course. Probably 4 threads holding it on.
- Installed pyro(not really a problem) to check how hot it was getting because dads mechanic "turned it up."

So now I can defenetly hear the turbo on a regular basis now, starts spooling around 1500 rpm. Is that about the rpm I should hear it spooling up? Should I be a little leary about possible damage in this turbo? Rebuild it Or just go with it?

What is the line comming up on the center of the turbo? Vaccume?

Last but not least, where would I hook up a boost guage?

Thank you and sorry for the drawn out post.

Duane

Old 07-06-2011, 10:16 AM
flainn
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think if stuff got sucked into the turbo, it's possible the turbo vanes aren't the only thing that got damaged. I wonder if your rings might be damaged too, or the cylinders scored. You might want to do a compression test.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:38 AM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
Pull the intake snail off and check and make sure theres no blockage there.
The vaccum line is for the wastegate of the turbo.
Check the turbo for side to side and end play if there is more then a few thousanths it may be time to rebuild the turbo.
And there should be a plug for a boost gauge on the intake snail(thats the piece that bolts to the intake manifold

Old 07-07-2011, 07:01 AM
NorthernDiesel
Senior User
Is this a factory turbo? Does the intake hat look like this one:

If its factory turbo, you may have to drill and tap a hole in the pressure chamber to add a boost guage, as they weren't fitted for one. The pressure chamber is the bell between the turbo and the intake manifold.

The hard line in the center section (oil feed block) feeds oil from the port on the rear top of the engine to lubricate the turbo shaft bearings. It also feeds the oil pressure sender, mounted to the oil feed block.

If you have an aftermarket turbo like the Banks setup, there could be a soft line (mine is sillicone) running from the turbo housing to the wastegate as well, more on the side of the unit.

If material was sucked in through the intake, you should disassemble the whole intake system and inspect it, including checking inside the intake manifold and check the turbo endplay. I'm sure a compression test would be a good idea as its kind of a "who knows" situation, as in how far material went into the engine and what effect it had on the engine.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:12 AM
jaroh
Senior User
Thanks for the replies. I will look into checking turbo side play this weekend. I will also search here to figure out how to do a compression check. Hopefully I have the guage to do this!!

I checked with a local turbo shop here in Tacoma Washington. Said it was usually a one day turnaround on a rebuild. The part that hurt was that he said it was $595. Ouch!!

Old 07-08-2011, 01:03 AM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
You should be able to rebuild it yourself for under 200 and thats buying tools you may not have

Old 07-08-2011, 06:19 AM
NorthernDiesel
Senior User
Wow, $595 for a part day's work, am I ever in the wrong industry!

Old 07-08-2011, 11:19 PM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by NorthernDiesel
Wow, $595 for a part day's work, am I ever in the wrong industry!
2X on that and here I am working for my money, wow I sure feel dumb. . . . . . . .

Old 07-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
x3, I am sitting in a desert ****hole...why am I not rebuilding turbos for 400 dollars just to undercut market XD

Old 07-12-2011, 12:38 AM
jaroh
Senior User
So lets say I rebuild the turbo myself, not that daunting of a task as the job I have in the Air Force, Hydraulics, has taught me to rebuild many parts with not always having the best tech data. Is the rebuild kit I have seen on Amazon for around $35 for the t3 and t4, is that the correct rebuild kit? Or am I looking in the wrong spot? How about balancing? Send it to the shop or is there a way to do it at home?

All in all it seems to be running better. Towed around 4500 lbs this weekend. Seemed to do alright. The new owner needs to learn how to shift a little sooner though!!!

Old 07-12-2011, 12:59 AM
94 smokin stroker
Elder User
Northern diesel mines a foactory ats system 94 factory turbo it has the boost gauge tapped in the snail

Old 07-12-2011, 10:47 AM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
If you are using the same wheels I think your ok, but does it have a lot of play in it? Rebuilding it will not gain power if thats what you are going for. If it feels somewhat snug and doesnt come close to contacting the housing you should be just fine.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:24 PM
jaroh
Senior User
I am in middle of rain showers right now. I am going to go out and check for play in turbine shaft.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:55 PM
jaroh
Senior User
It is not sloppy loose. I have to push on it pretty good to get side movement. Is it time for a rebuild??

Anybody have a rebuild kit part number and retailer name for me?

Thank you,

Duane

Old 07-12-2011, 10:02 PM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
There sould be just enough play to "feel" play in there, keep in mind there has to be room for oil in there. If it rocks easily then it's time for a rebuild. From what you describe your turbo is ok.

Quick Reply: new to diesel