6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

EGR Cooler Horizontal - Leak????

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:42 PM
ClubDrof
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR Cooler Horizontal - Leak????

I could use some help. I noticed a fluid leak at the coolant supply hose on the horizontal EGR cooler. Upon visual inspection, the edge of the hose is wet where it connects to the cooler. I dropped by a local Ford dealer and the mechanic took one look and said, "you have a failed EGR cooler, expensive!"

Looks like a loose hose clamp to me with fluid around this connection. Am I missing something here?

I have no white smoke. I noticed a wet spot on the driveway which got me looking for the leak. My resevior was nearly empty but I haven't checked the level in a while.

Last edited by ClubDrof; 07-06-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 07-06-2011, 05:56 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
so, did you check the clamp to see if it was tight?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:11 PM
ClubDrof
Junior User
Originally Posted by senix
Not yet. I'm on vacation and haven't bought a screw-driver.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:09 AM
ClubDrof
Junior User
Senix,

I'm 325 miles from home and my trusted mechanic. I'll get a hold of a flat blade this afternoon. I'm more concerned with the local mechanics quick visual observation and whether I can make it home.

I know this hose leak has left residue all over the back pressure sensor and the under body but what am I missing that made the mechanic believe this is a failed cooler? I have no white smoke and the reservoir is holding fluid.

Thanks again, Rob

Old 07-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Its hard to say, but a leak at that joint wouldn't necessarily mean anything failed but the seal. I would tighten the clamp and then check for leaks. If there is still a leak it will be easier to localize at that point.

Hopefully this is a simple fix!

Old 07-08-2011, 06:38 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Any update on this? Just curious how you made out.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:11 PM
ClubDrof
Junior User
Any update on this? Just curious how you made out.
Since tightening the hose clamp I haven't lost a drop of fluid. I'm taking into Ford tomorrow to have the engine oil operating temp monitored and the cooling system flushed and checked. I'll keep you posted.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:44 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Was curious. They can pressure test the system and go from there as well.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:06 AM
ClubDrof
Junior User
I'm back! My truck is at Ford and BulletProof EGR Coolers are on order shipping next day air.

Ford gave my rig a clean bill of health last year after pressure testing my EGR coolers. A loose hose clamp was the culprit that time around.

This time I noticed a loss of power on Wednesday cutting out at 2500 RPMs. The next morning I drove into work and while parking, the engine light came on and I couldn't go more than 5mph. The engine idled perfectly, just wouldn't go. I had AAA tow her into the dealer yesterday.

The thrown code was pointing my mechanic to a bad EGR valve which they replaced but also found engine coolant beneath. So here I am again, 126K miles and my first pair of EGR coolers.

I considered an Elite Diesel EGR delete kit for a moment. I hope I didn't make a mistake.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:00 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by ClubDrof
I'm back! My truck is at Ford and BulletProof EGR Coolers are on order shipping next day air.

Ford gave my rig a clean bill of health last year after pressure testing my EGR coolers. A loose hose clamp was the culprit that time around.

This time I noticed a loss of power on Wednesday cutting out at 2500 RPMs. The next morning I drove into work and while parking, the engine light came on and I couldn't go more than 5mph. The engine idled perfectly, just wouldn't go. I had AAA tow her into the dealer yesterday.

The thrown code was pointing my mechanic to a bad EGR valve which they replaced but also found engine coolant beneath. So here I am again, 126K miles and my first pair of EGR coolers.

I considered an Elite Diesel EGR delete kit for a moment. I hope I didn't make a mistake.
New style EGR valve deletes the coolant going to it.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:20 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Navistar Maxxforce 7 (6.4) does not use 2 EGR coolers any more, there down to 1 cooler. Just wondering if their new setup is compatible with the Ford 6.4 version.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by ljutic ss
The Navistar Maxxforce 7 (6.4) does not use 2 EGR coolers any more, there down to 1 cooler. Just wondering if their new setup is compatible with the Ford 6.4 version.
I doubt it, as I believe the Maxxforce 7 has always used one EGR cooler from the beginning in 2007. The Super Duty pickups have to pass a completely different set of emissions tests than medium duty trucks that the Maxxforce engine would be in, and I believe this is why the different turbo and EGR system.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:03 AM
ClubDrof
Junior User
Are you guys suggesting 'delete kit' or EGR cooler replacement?

I can return the BulletProof coolers and buy the Elite Diesel kit with bypass. I need some direction.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 01-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Are you guys suggesting 'delete kit' or EGR cooler replacement?

I can return the BulletProof coolers and buy the Elite Diesel kit with bypass. I need some direction.

Thanks,
Rob
Are you tuned and deleted?

Old 01-13-2012, 11:59 AM
ClubDrof
Junior User
No tune or delete. I've been on the fence with buying a Spartan tuner. I'd be interested in increased fuel economy vs race tuning. I haul a camper and boat primarily.

Quick Reply: EGR Cooler Horizontal - Leak????