Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2011, 11:49 PM
New User

BuddhaKat is starting off with a positive reputation.
ECM Location on a 99 F350

I've purchased my first F350 PSD and I'm adding some stuff to it. One of the things I'm adding needs to tap into a couple of wires going to the ECM, but I don't have any idea where the ECM is located on my truck. It's an early 99 model F350 with a 7.3 L diesel. I've already added a chip to the PCM, but there seems to be some confusion about what a PCM and an ECM is on another forum. To be frank, I have no idea, but I suspect they're different. Could they be combined? I don't see how.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:57 PM
Postmaster

ToMang07 has much to be proud ofToMang07 has much to be proud ofToMang07 has much to be proud ofToMang07 has much to be proud ofToMang07 has much to be proud ofToMang07 has much to be proud ofToMang07 has much to be proud ofToMang07 has much to be proud ofToMang07 has much to be proud of
ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaKat View Post
I've purchased my first F350 PSD and I'm adding some stuff to it. One of the things I'm adding needs to tap into a couple of wires going to the ECM, but I don't have any idea where the ECM is located on my truck. It's an early 99 model F350 with a 7.3 L diesel. I've already added a chip to the PCM, but there seems to be some confusion about what a PCM and an ECM is on another forum. To be frank, I have no idea, but I suspect they're different. Could they be combined? I don't see how.
They're the same thing. You have 3 major Modules: PCM(or ECM), IDM, and GEM. What are you tapping into? Be extremely careful as to not fry ANY of the above. Very expensive "whoops".
~Tom~ 02 F350 CCSB 4x4 SRW 7.3L, DIY-6637, PHP Phoenix-(STK-80dd-100P-120R-65T-40T) 4" TB-409SS MBRP, GS 3 in 1, EGT/Boost/Tranny, Fisher 8' MM2. Tymar HPX, NON-EBV Pedestal, Turbo Master, Wicked Wheel, Hutch/Harpoon, RR-Plenums/clamps, 203* TS and Billet Housing, ELC, Fumoto, CCV Dumped, Foil, AIH, and EBV, Pontoons All Missing...~AE w/Ford Pack~
Old 07-05-2011, 12:25 AM
New User

It's for a BD TorqLoc and exhaust brake. Unfortunately, with all the little production changes that go on, it's hard for an aftermarket supplier to put out a set of instructions that fit each truck exactly. Unfortunately for me, it gets a little confusing.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:38 AM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Look at page 9 here.

http://www.dieselperformance.com/pro...5_Torqloc4.pdf

It tells you that what you need on your truck is on the PCM. Some other makes (in this case Dodge) calls it an ECM.
- Trey PAA Member #110
2002 F250 XLT CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3L
My How-To Video Library
SoCal Chapter Member (Join us HERE)
Old 07-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Postmaster

mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.
PCM is (I believe) Powertrain Control Module - which includes Engine (ECM) and Transmission brains.
In the gassers, the PCM is between your left foot and the parking brake pedal mechanism.
'99 F250 V10 Super Cab Long Bed 4x4. '06 short block, PI conversion, modded airbox, 5 Star custom tune, FM50BB, 315/75-16 GY Duratracs, mild lift, 4.30 LSD, Ride-Rite bags, on board air, Rancho RS9000 w/MyRide, under bed subwoofer, 160 amp Quick Start large case alternator
Why, yes, I am some kind of geek engineer. Thank you for asking.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:08 PM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwsF250 View Post
PCM is (I believe) Powertrain Control Module - which includes Engine (ECM) and Transmission brains.
In the gassers, the PCM is between your left foot and the parking brake pedal mechanism.
Same place on the diesels.
- Trey PAA Member #110
2002 F250 XLT CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3L
My How-To Video Library
SoCal Chapter Member (Join us HERE)
Old 07-05-2011, 04:24 PM
New User

Excellent, thank you. I was thrown off because in the instructions for the TorqLoc it says to splice intp a couple of wires in the ECM. I called Cam at BD and he confirmed that there's no ECM on my truck.

I don't want to even think about the time I spent researching this over the weekend. Hours looking for an answer when I could have been flippin burgers on the barbie.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:24 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
1994, 1999, 350, 99, control, ecm, engine, f250, f350, ford, located, location, module, navigator, wheres