Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2011, 10:03 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

RUNVS has a good reputation on FTE.RUNVS has a good reputation on FTE.
4.11 gear swap: 4.30 or 4.56??

2002 F-250 5.4 had 265/75/R16's from the factory which are the "bigger" tire upgrade.

I put on 285/75/16's quite a while back and have been unhappy with the take-off ever since. Sure, it's not a HUGE difference but the shift points are definitely different. I notice the loss of gearing mostly when towing.

I have seen a LOT of guys running 3.73's get recommended up to 4.11's.

I currently run 4.11's and according to the charts, I should be running 4.30's with these tires. However, do I want to run 4.56's instead???

It's possible I COULD go with a little bigger tires which makes me lean toward the 4.56's. No way would I go smaller again.

I just never see anyone with 3.73's recommended to run 3.90's or really even 4.11's when they run bigger tires. It always seems like everyone wants to jump to 4.30' - that's like 3 gear sizes (Obviously the size of the tires could have a huge bearing).

According to calcs and confirmed with the charts, 4.30's put me in the same sweet spot I had with 4.11's. I just don't want to do that and WISH I had installed 4.56's. And 4.56's are much easier to find.

Anyone put on slightly larger tires that made this gear swap?

4.30's or 4.56's and why?
'02 F-250 Super Duty 5.4L XLT 4x4 SCLB, '09 bed/gate/step/cam, '07 front conversion, SPD Y-pipe, SS dual 2.5 w/MBRP tips, Gibson shortys, PowerSlot Cryos, Hawk pads, A-pillar triple pod, optima bluetop, dual-core radiator, Bilsteins, 295/70R17 Nittos on Raceline Predators, K&N, Back Rack, SCT w/5star tunes, Warn lockouts, several anti-theft devices
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-j-TflIBAG5c/TtG6TkJ9PjI/AAAAAAAAKsQ/svk9X8Ki2No/s144/truck%2520hauling.jpg Click --->HERE<-- to join the OHIO Chapter!!
Old 07-04-2011, 10:08 PM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
I'm confused as to why you want such high gears? Especially since your tires arent all that big. I'm running 305/70/16 and I have 3.73..
- Trey PAA Member #110
2002 F250 XLT CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3L
My How-To Video Library
SoCal Chapter Member (Join us HERE)
Old 07-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Postmaster

Bigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud ofBigpipes 35 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65 View Post
I'm confused as to why you want such high gears? Especially since your tires arent all that big. I'm running 305/70/16 and I have 3.73..
The op is running a 5.4 not a 7.3 diesel so gearing is a big deal. I went with 4.30 and am running 285/70/17 and its a good fit. If you are going any taller tire I would go with 4.56 your truck will be happier.
2000 f150 4x4 work truck 4.6 AKA Martha
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/...es35/truck.jpg
Old 07-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Elder User

CraigOutdoors is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That may also have something to do with your 13mpg. The higher gears will help on the highway, but taking off from a stop, higher gears will make your truck work less, and you'll use less fuel. I know there are calculators to be found with google for your effective gearing with your new tires and gears you have vs. your stock tire size. You might be surprised by what your effective gearing is vs. stock.

'03 F250 Reg Cab LB Fx4 v10
Old 07-04-2011, 11:23 PM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
oops. Missed the 5.4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigOutdoors View Post
That may also have something to do with your 13mpg. The higher gears will help on the highway, but taking off from a stop, higher gears will make your truck work less, and you'll use less fuel. I know there are calculators to be found with google for your effective gearing with your new tires and gears you have vs. your stock tire size. You might be surprised by what your effective gearing is vs. stock.
That 13mpg is a little out dated. My old city mpg was 11 and freeway was 14 at best. I now get 15 city an around 18 hwy. My exhaust backpressure sensor was clogged with soot.

But I will also look into gearing for my truck.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Elder User

Here's a couple of calculators for the OP and Trey. Turns out with my 285/75/16s and my 3.73 gears, my effective gear ratio is 3.59.

Effective gear ratio calculator here.
Gear Design Equations Formulas Calculator Effective Gear Ratio

Tire size calculator here. So you can get your tire size calculated into inches or mm.
Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

Good for giggles even if you aren't planning a gear swap. Which is something I would very much love to do when I've got the cheese to do it.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:05 AM
9 ECHO 1

Thanks for the links. According to them, my effective gear ratio is 3.60...

Stock tire being 235/85/16 according to the site
Current tire being 305/70/16
Current gears 3.73
- Trey PAA Member #110
2002 F250 XLT CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3L
My How-To Video Library
SoCal Chapter Member (Join us HERE)
Old 07-05-2011, 11:17 AM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
There are also those and other calculators on this site:

Automotive Calculators offer to you by Ford Trucks Enthusiasts | www.ford-trucks.com

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 07-05-2011, 12:04 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

I forgot about the calculators. I was using the charts. Yes, I am effectively a 3.96 Ok, not bad, but I wanted the 4.11's when I got the truck.

If I plug in 4.30's into that calculator, my effective gearing changes 4.14 - right where I want to be.

I think that means I'll be looking for some deals on 4.30's gearing!! I have some other items I need to hit first but that should put everything back the way I wanted it.

Thanks guys!!
'02 F-250 Super Duty 5.4L XLT 4x4 SCLB, '09 bed/gate/step/cam, '07 front conversion, SPD Y-pipe, SS dual 2.5 w/MBRP tips, Gibson shortys, PowerSlot Cryos, Hawk pads, A-pillar triple pod, optima bluetop, dual-core radiator, Bilsteins, 295/70R17 Nittos on Raceline Predators, K&N, Back Rack, SCT w/5star tunes, Warn lockouts, several anti-theft devices
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-j-TflIBAG5c/TtG6TkJ9PjI/AAAAAAAAKsQ/svk9X8Ki2No/s144/truck%2520hauling.jpg Click --->HERE<-- to join the OHIO Chapter!!
Old 07-05-2011, 03:07 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
My advice is to go 4:56. Especially since you are towing. Although you didn't mention what you are towing, the common wisdom is that changing one gear step is not worth the cost. Add in the possibility that you will go larger tires, this is a no brainer. 4:56 gets my vote.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 07-05-2011, 03:59 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Truck spends majority of time as a daily driver. However, I do haul a 24' enclosed trailer with quads, gear, etc.

I thought the same thing about the cost vs. 1 gear change. But thought that 4.56 might be too tall (you know, I don't want to ruin my 24mpg I'm getting - hahahaha).

I don't know for sure that I'll go with bigger tires but I know I won't go smaller.
The truck never would light up the tires even with the 265's but the 285's made it worse. It's more that you can tell the shift points are not quite right. They need to be a little higher up in the RPM range.

I have an email in to Mike @ 5star about changing the shift points... But tuning does not replace a gear change.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Postmaster

mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.
I recommend 4.56.
One step to compensate for the larger tire diameter.
A second step to compensate for the HEAVIER tire.
That should get you closer to original performance feel.

The difference in freeway fuel economy will be negligable.
'99 F250 V10 Super Cab Long Bed 4x4. '06 short block, PI conversion, modded airbox, 5 Star custom tune, FM50BB, 315/75-16 GY Duratracs, mild lift, 4.30 LSD, Ride-Rite bags, on board air, Rancho RS9000 w/MyRide, under bed subwoofer, 160 amp Quick Start large case alternator
Why, yes, I am some kind of geek engineer. Thank you for asking.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:44 AM
You Keep What You Kill

Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.
My 2005 F350 has the 5.4L 3V engine, 33" tall tires, and 4.10 gears. I wish that it had 4.30 gears. If I were to increase the tire size, I would recommend the following:

33" Tires - 4.30 Gears
35" Tires - 4.56 Gears (minimum)
37" Tires - 4.88 Gears (minimum)
40" Tires - 5.13 Gears (minimum), 5.38 Gears (preferred)

In my time at FTE, I have never heard of anyone wanting less gears but I have heard many wanting more gears. Best success!

2005 F-350 XL, 4X4, RCLB, 5.4L 3V, TorqShift®, 4.10 LS, K&N CAI Kit, SCT Livewire w/ Custom Tunes from 5 Star Tuning
Old 07-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redford View Post
There are also those and other calculators on this site:

Automotive Calculators offer to you by Ford Trucks Enthusiasts | www.ford-trucks.com

Awesome! Thanks, I didn't know about that. I just used google to find the ones I posted.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:03 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
1999, 411, 411s, 430s, 456, duty, f150, f250, f450, ford, gear, gears, light, supercharged, swap