Modular V10 (6.8l)  

What Do You Want For Your V10?(SC,Turbo, H/C/I)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 06:42 AM
BOUT21
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds great. Will I need to go with forged crank and rods or will pistons do the trick?

Old 07-07-2011, 06:54 AM
topscrt
Senior User
the v10 has forged crank. And the piston are the same as a 4.6L. So you just order them and add 2

Old 07-07-2011, 07:12 AM
BOUT21
New User
Thank you for the info. What's a good site to order the pistons from?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Ironhand03
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BOUT21
That sounds great. Will I need to go with forged crank and rods or will pistons do the trick?
You'd need pistons and rods in order to work in high boost applications. But low boost will be fine on the stock bottom end.

Originally Posted by topscrt
the v10 has forged crank. And the piston are the same as a 4.6L. So you just order them and add 2
They are the same but the V10 has some issues with it that the custom pistons fixes. Im gonna try to get pictures of what Im talking about soon.

Originally Posted by BOUT21
Thank you for the info. What's a good site to order the pistons from?
I use Diamond.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:28 AM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What I would like to see is a kit with rods, piston and studs to build a V10 to take 750 at the wheels.
Right now having to buy multiple 5.4 and 4.6 kits to build one V10 really hurts a budget build.

The other thing is turbo kits. Right now everything is custom and I would like to see high quality kits at an affordable price.
If I could get a kit to forge and turbo a V10 for $3,000 plus the dyno tune I would be happy.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Great thread! If I had my input on what I wanted it would be...
Originally Posted by mwsF250
I would lean towards recommending a reasonably priced, low boost turbo as a way for you to test the waters. With FUNCTIONAL and reliable power in mind.
Originally Posted by dkf
Best bet IMO is a low boost (5psi or so) intercooled turbo or twin screw SC designed for towing. Turbo setup would have to be sized right to give good low end boost and spool quickly. I think you would have more success with a more "bolt on" kit like that than an intake, cams and heads which require major disassembly of the engine and just shift the power up higher in the rpm range.
...what they said. Low boost intercooled turbo that spools quick, is bolt on and is reliable while towing! EDIT: The kit should also include the proper gauges/monitors.

By the way you may want to talk with Mike at 5 Star. I know they were working on a kit but I think the project has stalled. He might be willing to share some tech and business input on this all.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:46 PM
no_dice6
Freshman User
I also think that a low boost turbo or supercharger kit would be an interesting option. You had mentioned the possibility of heads. Would a good CNC porting setup for the stock heads be a better low cost alternative that would meet all but the hairiest modifications?

Old 07-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I guess you could always offer "stages" all the way up to a full crate motor.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Ironhand03
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bill11012
What I would like to see is a kit with rods, piston and studs to build a V10 to take 750 at the wheels.
Right now having to buy multiple 5.4 and 4.6 kits to build one V10 really hurts a budget build.

The other thing is turbo kits. Right now everything is custom and I would like to see high quality kits at an affordable price.
If I could get a kit to forge and turbo a V10 for $3,000 plus the dyno tune I would be happy.
I dont want to offend you or come off wrong when I say this but that will absolutely not happen. I give you a few numbers to go off of and you can be the judge.

Custom diamond pistons with AP stainless rings are a shade over 1K. Thats just for a V8 too!

I went with Forged Manley H beam rods with ARP 2000 rod bolts. That is 580 for a set of 8. That was also going through a buddy to get a deal.

A GOOD turbo that will be purpose built for this application will cost over 1K alone.

Plus you have the coated bearings, head gaskets, piping, machining, etc. It wouldnt be possible at that price.

I can and will put kits together that will include everything you need to take x amount of power. As well as try to do it a a reasonable price. Good parts aren't cheap. I plan that my kits will have the same longevity as the parts they will replace, if not longer.

Originally Posted by Monster-4
Great thread! If I had my input on what I wanted it would be...

...what they said. Low boost intercooled turbo that spools quick, is bolt on and is reliable while towing! EDIT: The kit should also include the proper gauges/monitors.

By the way you may want to talk with Mike at 5 Star. I know they were working on a kit but I think the project has stalled. He might be willing to share some tech and business input on this all.
I prefer to do all my own research and come up with something all my own. I want this to be completely on my own and have no outside help unless its needed.

Originally Posted by Monster-4
I guess you could always offer "stages" all the way up to a full crate motor.
I dont believe in "stages". More of a gimmick. Instead I will offer different options and let the customer decide what they want depending on application and budget.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Ironhand03
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by no_dice6
I also think that a low boost turbo or supercharger kit would be an interesting option. You had mentioned the possibility of heads. Would a good CNC porting setup for the stock heads be a better low cost alternative that would meet all but the hairiest modifications?
CNC porting the heads will still cost some money. Someone has to write the program for them, then custom cams will have to be made. It wont be that much cheaper. But time will tell what I decide to put out. If I can come up with something that will work better for about the same price then that is the route I will take instead.

However, I will say that I plan to make the V10 into a monster, with great drive-ability and no bad habits.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:55 PM
topscrt
Senior User
crane makes a cam for a v10. I have many fast cars. You have to have a plan in order to get things right. If you wan crazy horsepower you sacrifice reliability. And sometimes going on a small budget does more harm. Bolt-on stuff is great when you need a little more I.E. Headers,exhaust,air intake. I'm a fab guy by trade. So for me fabrication something is no big deal. But tell me to give you a price. Well, you're not going to like it. Good work= money. Right now I'll building long tube headers. Got the pipe & 5-1 collector come next week.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Ironhand03
Posting Guru
crane makes a cam for a v10. I have many fast cars. You have to have a plan in order to get things right. If you wan crazy horsepower you sacrifice reliability. And sometimes going on a small budget does more harm. Bolt-on stuff is great when you need a little more I.E. Headers,exhaust,air intake. I'm a fab guy by trade. So for me fabrication something is no big deal. But tell me to give you a price. Well, you're not going to like it. Good work= money. Right now I'll building long tube headers. Got the pipe & 5-1 collector come next week.
Try to order cams from Comp or Crower right now and they are out of billet blanks when I called.

I dont plan on using off the self cams. They dont have the right specs for a turbo or blower. Only N/A.

Im an Army Tech, Former dealership tech, and Im currently working as a tech at 2 different shops. So Ive been around the ball park a fair bit.

I dont plan to get rich off of making kits. Just get my name out there and have fun doing it. I have a special place in my heart for the modular motors. I noticed that the V10 wasnt getting the love that the 4.6 and 5.4 was getting. So that is why I am stepping up to fill that void. Like every Ford guy, I wanna go faster then anybody else.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:27 PM
topscrt
Senior User
I respect that. At least someone will listen when you mention V10. Most if not all places won't even talk to you about v10.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Ironhand03
Posting Guru
I respect that. At least someone will listen when you mention V10. Most if not all places won't even talk to you about v10.
You are exactly correct! However, I seem to have an odd ability. Because I spoke directly to Dave Crower of Crower cams when I called. Not very often when you call a place and ask to speak to the owner and actually get that.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:30 PM
no_dice6
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Ironhand03
CNC porting the heads will still cost some money. Someone has to write the program for them, then custom cams will have to be made. It wont be that much cheaper. But time will tell what I decide to put out. If I can come up with something that will work better for about the same price then that is the route I will take instead.

However, I will say that I plan to make the V10 into a monster, with great drive-ability and no bad habits.
I realize that the CNC porting would not be free. However, I think it would be cheaper than R&Ding a completely new set of heads. There are many companies that already do CNC porting of the 4.6 heads, so it isn't like it hasn't been done before. I would say your biggest market will be from those people who just want a little more oomph out of their daily driver or tow vehicle. Developing a good set of long tube headers (especially for the 3V) and some decent head porting would probably fulfill those needs. A good port that added flow without sacrificing port velocity would essentially make your stock cams seem bigger as well. This maybe optimistic, but you could possibly have a 400 hp 3V V10 with the changes decribed above. I wish you the best with whatever route you decide to follow. Is there any interest in developing a carbureted intake manifold for a V10?

Quick Reply: What Do You Want For Your V10?(SC,Turbo, H/C/I)