Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Modular V10 (6.8l) SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Junior User

F250saleen is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is there any interest in developing a carbureted intake manifold for a V10?

Now that would be really cool to have a intake similar to the sullivan for the 4.6.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Posting Guru

Ironhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputation
Ironhand03
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_dice6 View Post
I realize that the CNC porting would not be free. However, I think it would be cheaper than R&Ding a completely new set of heads. There are many companies that already do CNC porting of the 4.6 heads, so it isn't like it hasn't been done before. I would say your biggest market will be from those people who just want a little more oomph out of their daily driver or tow vehicle. Developing a good set of long tube headers (especially for the 3V) and some decent head porting would probably fulfill those needs. A good port that added flow without sacrificing port velocity would essentially make your stock cams seem bigger as well. This maybe optimistic, but you could possibly have a 400 hp 3V V10 with the changes decribed above. I wish you the best with whatever route you decide to follow. Is there any interest in developing a carbureted intake manifold for a V10?
I will start making some phone calls about the CNC porting to see the viability of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250saleen View Post
Is there any interest in developing a carbureted intake manifold for a V10?

Now that would be really cool to have a intake similar to the sullivan for the 4.6.
A carb has several problems on a mod motor. A single carb would put more fuel towards the inner cylinders due to the length of the motor.

Also, to put a distributor on even a V8 mod motor is over 1K alone for just some of the components. Since the computer would still be controlling the spark curve, I think it would be a better idea to leave the fuel injected setup in place. Believe it or not, it would actually be cheaper to do so.

*Click Here To Join*
98 Expedition. 4x4, DD
03 DSG SVT Cobra(Aiming For 1,000rwhp, Blower Only)
2012 Ford Fusion. SEL AWD, Fully Loaded.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Junior User

I was thinking of a carb'd intake but keeping it efi ofcourse thats more for racing so I doubt alot of ppl race their v10.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Posting Guru

Ironhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputationIronhand03 has a superb reputation
Ironhand03
Quote:
Originally Posted by F250saleen View Post
I was thinking of a carb'd intake but keeping it efi ofcourse thats more for racing so I doubt alot of ppl race their v10.
I dont see why that would happen. I can get a single large T/B that will flow over 2500 CFM. No need for carbs really.

Also, does anyone have a junk set of 3V heads laying around by chance?

*Click Here To Join*
98 Expedition. 4x4, DD
Old 07-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Postmaster

mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.
Junk? No.... Perfect, almost brand new set, yeah...
'99 F250 V10 Super Cab Long Bed 4x4. '06 short block, PI conversion, modded airbox, 5 Star custom tune, FM50BB, 315/75-16 GY Duratracs, mild lift, 4.30 LSD, Ride-Rite bags, on board air, Rancho RS9000 w/MyRide, under bed subwoofer, 160 amp Quick Start large case alternator
Why, yes, I am some kind of geek engineer. Thank you for asking.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Posting Guru

Ironhand03
I now have someone to make me the intake and exhaust flanges. So its moving along.

*Click Here To Join*
98 Expedition. 4x4, DD
Old 07-10-2011, 12:03 AM
New User

00250SD is starting off with a positive reputation.
How about a cast intake? I know the upfront costs would be more, but if you plan to produce a quantity it may make more sense. I may be the only one who uses my truck in any kind of competition, but sheet metal intakes aren't legal for me. A cast one would be legal.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:18 AM
Posting Guru

Ironhand03
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00250SD View Post
How about a cast intake? I know the upfront costs would be more, but if you plan to produce a quantity it may make more sense. I may be the only one who uses my truck in any kind of competition, but sheet metal intakes aren't legal for me. A cast one would be legal.
I will have something that will work really well for you actually. I have enough stuff together to actually put a prototype kit together for you if you want one. Although it wouldnt be exactly cheap. But it would fill your needs and still be legal. If you have 6K and give me about 6 weeks to get it together. You could have it that soon. Machine shop bills is what drives up the cost and waiting on other people is more of the delay then me.

Also, a cast intake is very expensive. Molds, CNC, computer time, etc, etc, would cost about 40K before one part would come out. Not exactly what I would call cost effective.

*Click Here To Join*
98 Expedition. 4x4, DD
Old 07-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Senior User

super 6.8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Different people are willing to do more of a tear down than others for the sake of adding power. The best time to tear and engine apart is when it's new but few will do that....especially when the warranty goes out to 60k.

I have spent alot of time in the fox body mustang world and I can tell you that the best bang for the buck (besides gears) is the centrifugal supercharger. Just have different pulleys to adjust the boost. I would predict you would sell a bunch of these at the 5-6psi level if you showed that it wouldn't hurt the internals. Supercharging a truck that tows heavy is very different than supercharging a 3200 lb car that never tows.

Keep in mind that there are a bunch of people here the think 5 Star Mike is king (I am on of them). If these kits required reprogramming I think I would want Mike involved. Just my $.02.
2007 F250 CC 4wd v10 4:30 5 sp auto with moonroof
2007 Mountaineer Premier 4.6 6 sp auto
1999 Mustang 3.8 auto
1997 T Bird 4.6 auto
Old 07-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Posting Guru

Ironhand03
Quote:
Originally Posted by super 6.8 View Post
Different people are willing to do more of a tear down than others for the sake of adding power. The best time to tear and engine apart is when it's new but few will do that....especially when the warranty goes out to 60k.

I have spent alot of time in the fox body mustang world and I can tell you that the best bang for the buck (besides gears) is the centrifugal supercharger. Just have different pulleys to adjust the boost. I would predict you would sell a bunch of these at the 5-6psi level if you showed that it wouldn't hurt the internals. Supercharging a truck that tows heavy is very different than supercharging a 3200 lb car that never tows.

Keep in mind that there are a bunch of people here the think 5 Star Mike is king (I am on of them). If these kits required reprogramming I think I would want Mike involved. Just my $.02.
No offence to Mike or any of his supporters. I will be bringing in outside help. I have two options to get the tuning done. They both are THE best Mustang custom tuners on the planet. One tunes street cars to literally 6 second cars. Another does basically the same thing. I will stick to people I know and have awesome reputations.

These guys also tune for drive-ability, not on the dyno. So before anyone says that they only tune the WOT table you would be very wrong. They tune the car while its going down the road, track, datalog, etc. They are also very experienced with power adder cars and very large injectors. So that's another reason why I prefer them over everyone else.

*Click Here To Join*
98 Expedition. 4x4, DD
Old 07-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Junior User

SuperDutyKing is starting off with a positive reputation.
I could be sold on a turbo as well!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:15 PM
New User

V10Pride is starting off with a positive reputation.
very nice, I'm glad someone is willing to do some v10 performance parts. Well, first off I am interested in a heads/cams package. any more information on those, let us know.

lastly, an aluminum block be nice, anyone makes those?
Old 07-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Senior User

bigseadaddy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Another vote on a low PSI (5-7) bolt on turbo kit. No offense but the issue with this is that I have seen no less then three FTE members say they have a turbo or is building a turbo and nothing comes to surface.

If we had a bolt on turbo for the v10 that would close the gap on high pass towing between us and the PSD guys it would be... well just ****!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Posting Guru

Ironhand03
Quote:
Originally Posted by V10Pride View Post
very nice, I'm glad someone is willing to do some v10 performance parts. Well, first off I am interested in a heads/cams package. any more information on those, let us know.

lastly, an aluminum block be nice, anyone makes those?
Heads and cams is gonna be a primary concern. As well as specific turbo cams.

EDIT: AN aluminum block would be very expensive to make, and if I was gonna make one I would change it to a 72 degree block. Just too much money to try and pull something like that off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigseadaddy View Post
Another vote on a low PSI (5-7) bolt on turbo kit. No offense but the issue with this is that I have seen no less then three FTE members say they have a turbo or is building a turbo and nothing comes to surface.

If we had a bolt on turbo for the v10 that would close the gap on high pass towing between us and the PSD guys it would be... well just ****!
Im not like that. If I say Im gonna do it then watch it get done.

My first two projects are a heads, cams, and intake package. Then a bolt on turbo kit for the PI 2 Valve.

If anyone has a set of 3V heads laying around please let me know. I cant make a kit without the heads for my test motor.

*Click Here To Join*
98 Expedition. 4x4, DD
Old 07-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Junior User

Hey ironhand03 do you have any pics of the projects your working on?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:42 AM