General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Attention hay cutters

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 06:27 PM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Attention hay cutters

We are thinking of getting into the hay cutting business. We have 40 acres that we have raised cows on for years and are thinking of raising cows on five or ten and cutting hay on twenty to thirty. We have a 43hp 4wd Kabota and was wandering what kind of equipment this size tractor would handle. I don't think a tedder or rake would require as much horse power as a cutter or baler. Would this tractor handle a 4X5 baler on hilly ground or should I stick to a 4X4 or a squre baler? Also, which brands are you folks partial to?

Old 07-03-2011, 07:09 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
43 PTO hp or engine hp? 43 PTO hp should be enough to run a disc cutter and a small baler. You're right about the rake. It takes hardly anything to pull a rake. The "V" rakes are nice if your grass is thick enough, otherwise your rows end up too thin.

If you look at the manufacturer's websites, they will tell you what HP is required for each baler. Be sure to look for brands where you can get parts locally.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:09 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know you can use a square baler & cutter with your tractor. I used a 35 hp to bale square bales with no problems. A 6 ft sickle mower will run fine on your rig. I used a 24 hp to cut hay. It doesn't take much hp to run one. I ran IH & JD square balers. Both worked good. I quit farming before the round bales became popular. I like them. All you need to move them is a front end loader..

Old 07-03-2011, 07:21 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can sell all the good horse hay I can find right now. The drought has hay fields dying in this area. We got the first cutting & nothing else. If it doesn't rain we will not get another cutting. I wish I had not planted pine trees on my bottom land that was planted with Coastal Bermuda. I have about 20 acres I can plant. I may do it if I buy a few cows.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:51 PM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
I guess I should specify. Thats 43 engine HP. My issue is the people around here that cut hay either have more then they can do or they're to tied up with other things and don't have time. There used to be alot more around here but "progress" ate up most of the hay fields and there's not that much call for it anymore. Other then ours, there are only about 5 or 6 farms left in this area.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hesston swathers are really popular around here, I've seen them as small as 12' . There's a few up to 30' but they mostly just sit as they need to be taken apart to be moved. They are pretty slick as with one pass you cut and get your first windrow. Rake once after that, and then bale.
Most people around here do one ton square bales, and use 150-250hp tractors to do it. A small square baler needs about 30-35hp to run fairly smoothly, otherwise you will get surging as the mechanism compresses the bale.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:50 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Used to use a 2540 gas when I worked the ranch for mowing, then any vehicle that can move can take care of a rake just about, unless you get a pto driven unit or 3 point v-rake. Old antique tractors can do small squares, ran an old H to bale with once. As far as balers go, the big square balers bring big money. Big rounds require a bit more power to run than the small square balers do. If you want to do it on the cheap, get a decent 12' mower conditioner, square baler and rake and call it good. Sickle bars will do the job, but require more drying time and a rake. With a mower conditioner, it crimps the stems for a faster drying time, plus puts the cutting into windrows for you as well. Only time you need a rake is if it get rained on or the ground is wet. The less you move the hay the better, less chance for the leaves of the alfalfa to fall off.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:18 AM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
Thanks for the help guys. I'll probably stick with a sickle mower as there are some obstacles to mow around and I don't think the larger pull behind mowers would fit. Around here the norm is small squares or 4X4 and 4X5 rolls. Are there any brands to stay away from when buying used equipment or are they like tractors and each one has their ups and downs? Or does it just depend on which color you like best?