Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'96 E4OD - OBD-II codes

Old 06-30-2011, 09:08 AM
IJRoorda
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'96 E4OD - OBD-II codes

I have a '96 F-150 with a 351 that I bought from a friend a couple of months ago. The truck was "eating" E4OD's for him; I think he swapped in three used transmissions and they all gave him problems, so he sold me the truck cheap with another used transmission. Figuring contamination was probably one of his problems, I went through and replaced the radiator, replaced the stock cooler with a big Long Tru-Cool unit, flushed the lines and added an inline filter; I also added a Transgo 'Tugger' kit to the transmission and replaced the MLPS.

It took me a while to get all of this done in the evenings and on the weekends; I finally got the transmission swapped into the truck this past weekend. It drives great - I haven't noticed any warning signs or slippage and the shifts are nice and firm; however, the TCIL flashes on startup. The transmission is not acting like it is in limp mode, and the light stops flashing if I drive the truck for more than a few minutes. I have tried switching the OD button/light unit with another one I had on hand, and the behavior did not change; I believe the connections at the solenoid pack and MLPS are all solid and clean as well.

I suspect it might be related to transmission temperature, since the light stops flashing once I drive the truck for a few minutes, and it does not always flash on warm starts; however, this is purely speculation.

My question is regarding pulling the codes, since my understanding is that a code should be stored when the TCIL flashes. I stopped in at O'Reilly's last night and used their code reader; the only codes I got were related to O2 sensors and evaporative emissions - nothing transmission related but it explains the Check Engine light.

I have heard mixed messages about whether or not a "standard" OBD-II code reader will display Ford transmission codes. I would rather pay someone to read the codes than shotgun parts at it, but I also don't want to spend that money to get the same codes I have already seen. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2011, 01:27 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 223 Likes on 175 Posts
All codes are stored in the computer memory and can be read with a code reader or a scanner.
The transmission is no different, all codes for it are generated in the PCM Computer to be read by any one.

The only thing you can see with a scanner and not a code reader is the transmission temperature and the voltage the TOT is sending back to the PCM Computer.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:14 AM
IJRoorda
Senior User
The code reader I used does read manufacturer-specific codes, so I figured it would read transmission codes if any were stored; however, I wanted to double check.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing my TCIL to blink? I have already checked that all fuses are good; I plan on going over the connectors and wiring very carefully for anything loose, corroded or broken as well.

I have been noticing that the truck has a little bit of a "flat spot" at part-throttle; I haven't seen any codes for the TPS but I am wondering if it could be going out or out of adjustment. Could this cause the TCIL to flash?

Old 07-01-2011, 10:15 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by IJRoorda
I have been noticing that the truck has a little bit of a "flat spot" at part-throttle; I haven't seen any codes for the TPS but I am wondering if it could be going out or out of adjustment. Could this cause the TCIL to flash?
No the TPS will not cause the TCIL to flash.
The TSP only has three positions, CT, PT & OT. The TSP will not cause a problem for being out of adjustment if it is just in the ballpark someplace for each of the three positions. That is also why it very seldom ever gives a running code. It will give an continuity code during the KOEO self-test but that is about the only code you will see from it. What ever its value is when you start the engine (0.6V-1.2V) the computer will take this as the CT voltage and that is why you should NEVER touch the throttle when starting the engine or you will give the computer the wrong CT voltage.
Now if the TPS sensor never sends a PT or OT voltage then you will have a flat spot and a bad or wrong transmission shift points along with a lean fuel mix.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:54 PM
IJRoorda
Senior User
Got it, thanks Bill. Doesn't sound like TPS either, then. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I've searched the web and read all the info I can find on the E4OD, but haven't seen any reference to the OD light flashing without any codes being stored at all.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:49 PM
IJRoorda
Senior User
New Symptoms

The TCIL still flashes at startup; still no codes, no slip, no limp mode as far as I can tell, and still goes away after a few minutes. I haven't been worrying about it too much, but the truck has picked up a new symptom which may or may not be related.

Sometimes the transmission does not want to shift out of 1st gear. It will rev up to 4000+ RPM and does not shift even if I let off the throttle. The one time that I kept into it, it did eventually shift hard into 2nd somewhere north of 4000 RPM, but I have been hesitant to try that too many times. If I move the lever to manual 2nd, it will shift more or less normally into 2nd gear; I can then move the lever back to Drive and it will shift normally into 3rd. 2-3 and 3-4 seem normal, as does lockup; it usually shifts normal for a while after I shift it manually to "unstick it" but eventually it always does it again.

I have two theories, based on the information I have been able to find here and on sites like FullSizeBronco and TheDieselStop. As I mentioned above, I did install a TransGo Tugger shift kit; I am wondering if I have a valve sticking in its bore or something like that. The other possibility that comes to mind is a bad solenoid keeping it from shifting to 2nd - if I remember correctly, the manual 2 lever position commands 2nd gear regardless of what the solenoids are doing so that seems like a possible explanation as well.

Does either of these options sound like a viable theory? Any other suggestions? I am loving the truck so far but I want to nip this thing in the bud if possible so I don't screw up another transmission.

Thanks in advance for any additional help.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:56 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
How are you reading the codes?

Old 07-11-2011, 08:07 PM
IJRoorda
Senior User
I am using my dad's OBD-II code reader; the brand escapes my memory at the moment, but I think he got it at Harbor Freight Tools. Key on, engine off, connected the reader and pressed the "Link" button. This is how I have always read trouble codes on my other vehicles; should I be doing something differently?

Another piece of the puzzle: I noticed tonight that the manual 2 position does not hold the transmission in 2nd gear. With manual 2 selected it does not downshift into 1st; I can start out from a stop in 2nd gear, but it upshifts to 3rd seemingly the same as it would in Drive. If I move the lever from D to 2 while going 25-30MPH, it does not force a downshift like I would expect it to. Any suggestions?

Old 07-13-2011, 12:12 PM
IJRoorda
Senior User
Any other ideas on this? I am considering buying and installing a new solenoid pack since I need to drop the pan again eventually anyway; does anyone have any other suggestions for things I should look at or try?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:18 PM
IJRoorda
Senior User
I had the codes read at a shop today; they got some transmission codes that my reader did not show:

P0713 Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor CKT High Input
P1711 TFT Sensor Out of Self Test Range

Any advice? Would these be related to the shifting issues? I know the TFT sensor is part of the solenoid pack; can it be replaced separately or would the whole pack need to be replaced if I wanted to change it?

Thanks

Old 07-20-2011, 08:38 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Sounds like the transmission was cold or very hot when the codes was read.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:18 AM
IJRoorda
Senior User
I know the transmission was not very hot when they read the codes; I have had a gauge on it since I put this transmission in, and it has not seen over 180°. The shop I took it to is near my work, about a 35 mile interstate commute; they looked at it more or less first thing, so the fluid should not have been cold either.

To me, the TFT sensor would make sense since the TCIL only flashes when I first start the truck and goes away once the transmission is warm. Again, this is just speculation on my part but it potentially adds up in my mind. I don't know if it would explain any of the other weird behavior.

My next step is probably checking out all the wiring and connections again and making sure I have continuity everywhere. If that does not solve anything, I will think about buying a remanufactured solenoid pack and putting it in when I drop the pan. Any other suggestions?

Thanks