Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

California, Southern Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2011, 06:41 PM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Loud and proud!

My grandfather passed away last year from a long fight with his health. He suffered a stoke when I was very young, around 2 years old so I never had the privileged to meet him before he was impaired. He suffered from a large loss of motor and verbal function, although could move around on his own, just slowly, and over time learned to say a few key words. It was very much a big game of charades. Some if the first words were "Milly" "S***!" and "SR-71".

If you are unfamiliar with the SR-71 or "Blackbird" it was a Stealth Reconnaissance (SR) plane. It was in operation from 1966-1998 and still hold the air speed record, which is still classified as "Mach 3+". (I could tell you how fast it really went but I'd have to kill you).

My grandfather was a navigator in the SR-71 program, and flew the first operational SR-71 sortie.

Today we found out that the actual plane my grandfather flew on that first mission is on display at a museum. Our whole family misses him dearly and to know that his plane is out there for all to see helps us know that he lives on. His plane was the the biggest thing in his life, second only to his family.

This goes out to my grandfather, and to all service men and women fighting every day so we can sleep in peace at night.

Click the image to open in full size.
- Trey PAA Member #110
2002 F250 XLT CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3L
My How-To Video Library
SoCal Chapter Member (Join us HERE)
Old 06-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Postmaster

turbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud of
Awesome.
My father is an old Lockheed skunk works guy so I'm very familiar with it.
What was your grandfathers name?

'08 Super Duty 6.4, '61 Unibody, '63 T-bird, '66 Mustang
'76 F750 Firetruck, '83 F150, '74 F-1004x4 shrtbx
And not enough time to drive 'em.
Marc
Be like Steve
Old 06-29-2011, 06:50 PM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Col. Edward Payne, in the picture he is mentioned as Major Edward Payne.
- Trey PAA Member #110
My How-To Video Library
Old 06-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Postmaster

turbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud of
God rest his soul.
He flew the ULTIMATE hot rod.

'08 Super Duty 6.4, '61 Unibody, '63 T-bird, '66 Mustang
'76 F750 Firetruck, '83 F150, '74 F-1004x4 shrtbx
And not enough time to drive 'em.
Marc
Be like Steve
Old 06-29-2011, 07:02 PM
Admin Emeritus

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
That's beyond cool...you've got to be extremely proud

As for the aircraft, what can you say other than "another Kelly Johnson masterpiece". It looks like it's going Mach 2 while it's parked.
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 06-29-2011, 07:12 PM
9 ECHO 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBricks View Post
That's beyond cool...you've got to be extremely proud

As for the aircraft, what can you say other than "another Kelly Johnson masterpiece". It looks like it's going Mach 2 while it's parked.
I, and my whole family, are VERY proud.

Here he is in front of his plane. He is on the left.

- Trey PAA Member #110
My How-To Video Library
Old 06-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Elder User

DieselHardware is a name known to allDieselHardware is a name known to allDieselHardware is a name known to allDieselHardware is a name known to allDieselHardware is a name known to allDieselHardware is a name known to all
Which museum is that?
Old 06-29-2011, 08:26 PM
9 ECHO 1

National Museum of The United States Air Force, near Dayton, OH.
- Trey PAA Member #110
My How-To Video Library
Old 06-29-2011, 08:26 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter