6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Throttle Response

Old 03-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Racer5349
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by v10kenj
Different engine, but looks like it would cause warranty issues.

TSB 11-7-7
Some 2011 F-150 and 2011-2012 Mustang vehicles equipped with 5.0L engine may have unauthorized modifications to the powertrain hardware and/or calibration which may result in exceeding component design limits. Such modifications could cause damage to the powertrain and/or void the factory powertrain warranty.

Kinda thought so. I'm gonna ask my dealer anyway. I'm sure I'll get the same response.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:53 AM
radar_ridr
Senior User
Digging up a "Zombie" thread!

I still don't understand why the throttle is restricted at lower RPM. On another thread a post said that it was to reduce driveline stress, but if these same transmissions and axles can handle the massive torque of the diesels...?

I don't like the way the tranny upshifts so early, especially into overdrive gears at 35 mph (?), but something that bothers me just as much is that (as with most automatics) you can't always apply power gradually, for example, going up a moderate hill, you begin to slow down, and gradually pressing more on the gas, nothing, nothing, then, wham!, it drops 2 gears and you start accelerating when you just wanted a constant speed. Obviously this can just be inherent in the way auto's work, but it seems more pronounced with this drivetrain. I wish you could use more of the power available in the current gear (without lugging it of course).

With these low-speed upshifts, I worry a bit about lugging... saving a tiny amount of gas, but mistreating the engine? >grumble< I guess I just need to start using full manual (I have been locking out 5th and 6th around town, which helps), or I'll never be satisfied. Or maybe get a tuner! You know, I have never even had this 2012 reflashed with any newer software Ford has issued. I have my complaints, but nothing's really wrong - no strange shifting or revving or whatever - at least it's predictable. I don't want to get a new flash only to find that the bean-counters have made it lug even more.

I wonder how many parameters the PCM uses to decide not just gear selection and throttle opening, but the variable cam timing, etc. If it is using the data from the sensors for the stability control, it could be considering uphill / downhill, cornering g's... If I were writing the program I would have it downshift earlier uphill for one thing. Could it calculate load/trailer weight and factor that into its decisions? Now I have to go think about physics.

Well, on and on I go with the topics, but playing with the Tow/Haul mode with no load the other day, I crested a small hill, and I'm sure the DBW actually applied throttle - I think it was holding the lower gear but it did not want a jarring onset of engine breaking, perhaps destabilizing a trailer or whatever. It just surprised me, in the wake of all of these unintentional acceleration problems various car companies have had lately, that a system would actually apply power. I do think that is good programming and would help prevent instability. I just wish overall the engineers would not have to serve the lawyers and bean-counters so much...

Old 02-25-2015, 06:21 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,284 Posts
I've been in the south Texas waiting for winter to break and in the hill country the truck (2012 3.73 gears) does what you describe and when you think about the bigger picture of all the trucks and folks that post on the forums, these trucks rack up some pretty good miles and abuse with little or no break down/ failures of the transmission. If you service the truck like it's recommended it should preform pretty flawlessly. Now if you want to tweak the engine/ transmission and eliminate some of what you describe get a 5 star tune and you'll be happy camper.

Heck a thread from 2012 hasn't even had time to be forgotten, I remember this thread after starting to read it again.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:23 AM
rvpuller
Received 425 Likes on 279 Posts
Originally Posted by scraprat
I've been in the south Texas waiting for winter to break and in the hill country the truck (2012 3.73 gears) does what you describe and when you think about the bigger picture of all the trucks and folks that post on the forums, these trucks rack up some pretty good miles and abuse with little or no break down/ failures of the transmission. If you service the truck like it's recommended it should preform pretty flawlessly. Now if you want to tweak the engine/ transmission and eliminate some of what you describe get a 5 star tune and you'll be happy camper.

Heck a thread from 2012 hasn't even had time to be forgotten, I remember this thread after starting to read it again.
How long are you going to be in the Hill Country, we will be leaving Florida for Ingram on Sunday. Our reservations start on the 20th of March for a month.

Denny

Old 02-26-2015, 11:59 AM
radar_ridr
Senior User
One thing I forgot to mention, I (and probably some others on this thread) are kind of nitpicking here. Overall I am very satisfied with this powertrain - the engine really comes alive at WOT around 4,000 rpm, puts down a LOT of power, and does not seem to mind high revs at all - it sounds good and stays smooth, it does not feel like it is coming apart at redline like so many engines do. Also, the tranny (and traction control), even with these relatively minor complaints, can be operated in many different modes to accommodate most situations, and it certainly adds to the MPG improvements. So I don't want to deter potential buyers, a lot of this is about driving a vehicle weighing three to five tons which is just not going to have that nimble throttle tip-in like a Honda Civic.

Generally you can find something you wish was improved in any vehicle, but overall this engine can put down the power, even if it has not been tuned, and it is developing a very good track record for durability and reliability. Had to clear that up especially for all those shopping for a truck. I have had three Triton-powered trucks and the 6.2 is an entirely different animal.