Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Freshman User

richrob is starting off with a positive reputation.
P0611 Code

I was looking at a "new" 6.0 today and thanks to my Edge CTS I learned 2 things.

The battery voltage was 11.8 and a P0611 code for the FICM came up. The FICM voltage tested fine, but I fear it has bigger issues.

What is the likelyhood that the low battery voltage killed the FICM?

Thanks, Rich
Old 06-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Post Fiend

BLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant future
theres a good chance the low voltage took out the ficm

Either a bad batterty or a bad alternator or both

FICM voltage needs to be checked after cold soak first start If it set a code for low ficm voltage at sometime voltage dropped below the allowed limit even though you saw good ficm voltage

tell them to fix it or give you a deal on it

did you check eot vs ect deltas
2003 6.0, 4X4 srw, short box, born on 3/28/03 Moog ball joints,DC POWER 190A ALT Duralast Goldtop batterys 10/7/2012,RECON LED SMOKE MIRROR LENS,4 inch turbo back magnaflo exhaust,no kitty, 6 in. lift, BFG 315/75r16, python remote start alarm,pioneer system2 12''subs 1600watt amps ,scangaugeII,coolant filter, blue fuel pres spring, Fresh oil cooler 6/1/11 Final Charge Cat EC-1 rated Silicate Free ELC coolant, Sinister Full egr deleate, ROTELLA T-6 5w-40syn,updatedHPO screen,updated oil filter stand pipe, TC SX8000
Old 06-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Freshman User

I did the FICM test first thing, the EOT and ECT temps were ambient, and they said nobody had driven it that day, I believe that.

I'm going back this week to take it out on the highway and get it up to full operating temp, but I told them they need to take it to a Ford dealer and get it fixed before my next test drive.

I also asked them to have an updated EGR valve put in it.

- Rich
Old 06-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Post Fiend

BLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant future
The problem with the edge stuff is you need to check ficm voltage at koeo from what Iv been told the edge wont show anything untill the vehicle starts

The pcm checks operating values at koeo and low idel[628rpm] and high idel [2500rpm] koeo= key on engine off

so with the edge other people havent been able to check the values at koeo

will your edge read before the truck starts

this maybe when the ficm voltage is low at koeo
2003 6.0, 4X4 srw, short box, born on 3/28/03 Moog ball joints,DC POWER 190A ALT Duralast Goldtop batterys 10/7/2012,RECON LED SMOKE MIRROR LENS,4 inch turbo back magnaflo exhaust,no kitty, 6 in. lift, BFG 315/75r16, python remote start alarm,pioneer system2 12''subs 1600watt amps ,scangaugeII,coolant filter, blue fuel pres spring, Fresh oil cooler 6/1/11 Final Charge Cat EC-1 rated Silicate Free ELC coolant, Sinister Full egr deleate, ROTELLA T-6 5w-40syn,updatedHPO screen,updated oil filter stand pipe, TC SX8000
Old 06-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Freshman User

I am not sure I understand what koeo means.

For testing with the edge I turn the key on, the unit powers up in a few seconds. It will show the ficm voltage, you can then watch it as you start the motor.

Perhaps I am missing something, but I guess I don't really care when the issue happened, I just want them to fix it or I will walk away.

The truck is a 2006 CC LB Lariat with 100k. I can look at blue book values all day, but what is the going rate for one like that in good shape, or with the current issues?

From working on my 04, I think I know just enough to be dangerous about these trucks, anything else to look for?

- Rich
Old 06-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Post Fiend

oh your ok then if it will show ficm voltage at koeo

just saw a thread yesturday where an edge insight I believe would not show any pid info untill truck was running didnt know if all edge was like this or not

koeo = Key on Engine off

and another one you may come across is

koer = Key on Engine running

did you look at coolant bottle any sign of puke or was it too clean

did it have the famous bell housing drip

did you look at the filter minder
Old 06-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Elder User

Roasted7 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
How long does it take for low voltage to ruin your FICM? One day, a week, a month, three seconds?

Was it 11.8 volts while the glow plugs were on? Seems only .2v under 12 isn't that bad.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasted7 View Post
How long does it take for low voltage to ruin your FICM? One day, a week, a month, three seconds?

Was it 11.8 volts while the glow plugs were on? Seems only .2v under 12 isn't that bad.

no worries my battery voltage drops as far as 10.8 volts at startup while glowplugs on then goes up to 13.6 when the GP go off

so at 11.8 volts thats a great load test IMO

your voltage is fine roasted as long as it goes up after GP turn off

also FICM main power should be at 48 volts or so at ALL times even at the inital start while GP are on
also check ficm lp and ficm vp
Old 06-28-2011, 06:42 AM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasted7 View Post
How long does it take for low voltage to ruin your FICM? One day, a week, a month, three seconds?.
That's a good question I'm not sure I've seen answered. Proabably depends on a lot of factors though.

R.I.P. SteveBricks. A friend you always were and ever shall be.

Tim
Old 06-28-2011, 07:23 AM
Posting Guru

exiled has a very good reputation on FTE.exiled has a very good reputation on FTE.exiled has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLADE35 View Post
oh your ok then if it will show ficm voltage at koeo

just saw a thread yesturday where an edge insight I believe would not show any pid info untill truck was running didnt know if all edge was like this or not

koeo = Key on Engine off

and another one you may come across is

koer = Key on Engine running

did you look at coolant bottle any sign of puke or was it too clean

did it have the famous bell housing drip

did you look at the filter minder
Are you talking about my post about my insight not coming on at koeo? If so I have thst resolved. You have to touch the screen to turn it on. At least for the new ones. In that thread someone said their older one comes on by itself in a few seconds like the op in this thread.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:25 AM
Posting Guru

l-m tech is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
ther is a tsb for the p0611 code.has to do with the positive cable that supplys voltage to the ficm at the drivers side battery getting dirty and not allowing enough juice to the module.bulletproofdiesel.com can fix the computer for 300 bucks with a 1 year warranty
Old 07-29-2011, 12:02 PM
New User

Ford Superstroked is starting off with a positive reputation.
i started getting the ficm code and also low voltage codes for injectors. checked my batteries and they weren't holding enough charge anymore. 10.5 at startup cold. they truck was also taking a few seconds more to crank. i've replaced the batteries and now doesn't drop below 12 even with glow plugs, then jumps above 13.5. only been a few days, but truck cranks noticably better and hopefully my ficm wasn't ruined. just waiting now and keeping fingers crossed cel doesn't come back on.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:02 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
0611, 2004, 2005, 60, 60l, battery, code, diesel, e350, e450, f250, ford, low, p0611, v8